Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Lady Tiger vs. Gustav - 1500 words

Author Topic: Lady Tiger vs. Gustav - 1500 words
Josephine Kait
Member # 8157

- posted      Profile for Josephine Kait   Email Josephine Kait         Edit/Delete Post 
Thursday, as Lady Tiger left work she felt like Atlas, if the world had just been removed from his shoulders. She was looking forward to a long four day weekend spent sailing with her family in the Gulf of Mexico. Little did she know that a Hurricane with the sinister name of Gustav had plans in the Gulf as well. She had heard of Gustav, of course, and she checked the weather predictions, worried that the long anticipated trip would be canceled. She heaved a sigh of relief; He wasn’t due to make an appearance until Sunday night, long after they had come and gone. She and her husband packed their gear, and dreamt of fair winds.

At zero dark thirty her father arrived to pick them up for the two and a half hour trek to St. Petersburg, FL. Along the way

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

I had a small adventure last weekend. I will gladly e-mail the rest to anyone who would like to read it. ***spoiler alert*** Lady Tiger survives to write the story, LOL ***end spoiler*** I would also love tips and pointers on storytelling aspects.

- Jo

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited September 05, 2008).]

Posts: 456 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LAJD
Member # 8070

- posted      Profile for LAJD   Email LAJD         Edit/Delete Post 
Sign me up!

I've been looking for a way to deal with my guilt over naming my son Gustav! 8)

Leslie

Posts: 391 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
C L Lynn
Member # 8007

- posted      Profile for C L Lynn   Email C L Lynn         Edit/Delete Post 
Can someone explain to me what "zero dark thirty" means?
Posts: 226 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Josephine Kait
Member # 8157

- posted      Profile for Josephine Kait   Email Josephine Kait         Edit/Delete Post 
Zero-dark-thirty is military slang for the rather ungodly pre-dawn hours, when it is still dark but your day begins anyway. Five thirty AM in military time is 0530 (zero-five-thirty).

--Kait

Posts: 456 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Sort of like "plenty past midnight"?

My dad used to say that's what time he'd tell his mother he got home when he was a kid. And then he'd say it wouldn't work for us to try to use it on him.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Josephine Kait
Member # 8157

LOL

But it's primarily used to describe the beginning of a day, rather than an end.

--Kait

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.