Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Blossom F about 3000 words

Author Topic: Blossom F about 3000 words
Nick T
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for Nick T   Email Nick T         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everyone,

Another hack-job I'm trying to piece together before my writing retreat. Comments on the 1st 13 greatly appreciated and I'd love readers for the whole thing if possible. I have to send it out to the other participants by next Friday 19th, so I'd need comments by the 17th I guess (I know, I know, I'm pushing it).

It's around 3000 words.

Regards,

Nick
Original thirteen

quote:

Jacob was the first to see the body of the woman floating down the river. The older men had been digging up the new harvest of girls and they'd been digging for hours. Jacob had grown bored with wondering whether his first girl would be pretty and whether she’d live more than a month and had started looking around.

The ground had been dry and hard and a great cloud of dust hung in the air. By the time he saw the body, they’d reached the feet of the girls and started to excavate gently around their buried forms. At the edge of the pit, the old men stood with baby boys resting on their hips. The old men grunted as the wriggling feet of the girls were slowly revealed.

Latest 13

quote:
Jacob was the only one to see the body of the woman floating down the river. The adults had been digging up the new harvest of girls for hours and he'd grown bored. He’d been daydreaming about his first girl and how long she’d live, but then he’d started looking around. He spotted the body just as the men had reached the wriggling toes of the new girls.
At first he'd thought the body was a dead animal. It bobbed slowly, trapped in the middle of tangled raft of broken tree branches. He glimpsed a flash of chalk-white flesh. Something about the way the body sat in the water made him think it was human, though he could not say why.
Just after he spotted it, the body became lodged on the exposed roots of a riverside tree and became hidden from view.

[This message has been edited by Nick T (edited September 12, 2008).]

Posts: 712 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
Creepy! I think you're a couple lines shy of 13, btw.

Jacob was the first to see the body of the woman floating down the river Okay, I'll bite. I want to know more about this woman. The older men had been digging up the new harvest of girls and they'd been digging for hours Creepy, unexpected. I'm hooked. Jacob had grown bored with wondering whether his first girl would be pretty and whether she’d live more than a month and had started looking around.Fantastic sequence. The hook sinks in. I'm yours.

The ground had been dry and hard and a great cloud of dust hung in the air. By the time he saw the body, they’d reached the feet of the girls and started to excavate gently around their buried forms Okay, I'm building anticipation. I'm eater and expecting to learn more about this dead lady. I'm a bit confused by the contrast between dry land and river, but that's cool.. At the edge of the pit, the old men stood with baby boys resting on their hips. The old men grunted as the wriggling feet of the girls were slowly revealed. Okay, by this time I feel like you've steered off course. I'm thinking, huh? What about the dead lady that's floating right there? I;m interested to know about this stuff, but at the moment, what's got my attention is the dead lady. I'm tempted to skip this stuff just so I can find out more. Presumably these buried girls are going to be important to the story, and I do want to know more about them, but I think you have to dole out the information carefully. Right now, it almost feels like a distraction, because it's setting for the MC, but not the main event. You've already hooked me with the main event. I can wait a bit to learn more about the excavation. I suggest sticking to the main event and letting the setting leak in.

[This message has been edited by annepin (edited September 09, 2008).]

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick T
Member # 8052

Hi Annepin,

Thanks. As always, good stuff.

Nick

Posts: 712 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick T
Member # 8052

Hi Kathleen,

Do you mind changing the title to "Blossom F about 3000 words"?

Many, many thanks,

Regards,

Nick

LAJD
Member # 8070

- posted      Profile for LAJD   Email LAJD         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Nick
If you still need comments, I have some time this weekend and can turn it around by EOB tomorrow (Sunday 9/13).
Leslie

Posts: 391 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
The rewrite, I thought, works much better.

I guess I didn't realize it was finished the fist time I commented. I'd love to read the whole thing. I could turn it around by Sunday evening/ Monday morning.

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick T
Member # 8052

Hi guys,

Sent from my hotmail address (in case it goes into junk mail).

Many, many thanks,

Nick

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.