Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » To Pay the Devil

Author Topic: To Pay the Devil
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

- posted      Profile for JenniferHicks   Email JenniferHicks         Edit/Delete Post 
To Pay the Devil, SF, 4,600 words
If anyone wants to critique the whole thing, that would be great.

#

First version:

It didn’t look like a lake of gold, but John Briggs had never seen one before and so was reserving judgment.
Beside him, Harper and Roberts clicked on heavy-duty flashlights, adding to the glow from their helmet lamps. Under the yellow beams, the water looked luminescent and mirrored the stalactite fingers above.
Briggs’ companions stood and waited for instructions.
“Check it,” Briggs said.
So Roberts pounded a bolt into the cavern wall and hooked it to a device that would control the release of their rope. She latched the other end of the rope to the harness at Harper’s waist, puffy from his fleece body suit, and yanked to make sure it would hold.

#

Revised version:

It didn't look like a lake of gold, but John Briggs had never seen one before and so was reserving judgment. But if it were the lake of legend, it would mean an end to the nights spent staring at the popcorn ceiling and to the sick twist in his gut that had been a companion for years.
It would mean he could finally buy back his soul.
Beside him, Harper and Roberts clicked on heavy-duty flashlights, adding to the glow from their helmet lamps. They stood on a precipice shaped like a half-moon that dropped to the water a few yards out. The lake itself looked luminescent under their lights and mirrored the stalactite fingers above.
"Check it," Briggs said.

[This message has been edited by JenniferHicks (edited September 15, 2008).]

[This message has been edited by JenniferHicks (edited September 15, 2008).]

Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Briggs’ companions stood and waited for instructions.

Strunk and White recommend the adding of an 'S to any noun, no matter what it ends with, to create a possessive.

e.g Briggs's companions

They state that this is easier for the reader, and the norm for fiction.

>So Roberts pounded a bolt...

You don't need so.

>...hooked it to a device that would control the release of their rope

Can't you find or make a better term? A descent controller? A descender? A descent brake? A friction brake.

>puffy from his fleece body suit

This reads wrong--like it is jammed in there. Is the harness puffy? Or the rope?

Are they above the lake on ledge? I am not certain of the geography of where they are standing to understand why they need to use a rope to check the lake.

Otherwise the prose is good. Mild hook regarding the lake of gold...but mild is usually nice enough for 13 lines.

[This message has been edited by skadder (edited September 15, 2008).]

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Jennifer, I thought your opening was effective. I would read on. What I have is pretty nit-picky stuff. If your not in a hurry I'd be happy to read the whole thing. Send it along, and I could get it back to you by the end of the week.

It didn’t look like a lake of gold, but John Briggs had never seen one before and so was reserving judgment.

Beside him, Harper and Roberts clicked on heavy-duty flashlights, adding to the glow from their helmet lamps. Under the yellow beams, the water looked luminescent and mirrored the stalactite fingers above.

Briggs’ companions stood and waited for instructions. Don't think you need this. It's kind of obvious, since you've just shown us that they were standing around waiting.

“Check it,” Briggs said.

So The inclusion of "so" almost makes it sound as if you've slipped POV to Roberts's POVRoberts pounded a bolt into the cavern wall and hooked it to a device that would control the release of their rope. She latched the other end of the rope to the harness at Harper’s waist, puffy from his fleece body suit, and yanked to make sure it would hold.

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

- posted      Profile for JenniferHicks   Email JenniferHicks         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the suggestions! They're all good ones.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brant Danay
Member # 8087

- posted      Profile for Brant Danay           Edit/Delete Post 
The lake of gold is a good hook. I think you could even capitalize it as Lake of Gold and use it as a specific and/or mythological location, depending on how much of a fantasy setting you're going for. As long as its not one of many lakes of gold existing in your created universe, of course.

"Under the yellow beams, the water looked luminescent and mirrored the stalactite fingers above."

I was thinking fingerlike stalactites might work better here, unless the cave is alive, but I realize those two words sound kind of funny together. Maybe something more in this vein though, but then again, maybe not.

Just a few random thoughts from an amateur. Good start. I'm interested to find out what the lake of gold is. Best regards,

Brant

Posts: 176 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.