Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Frank and Stein (3,900 Words)

Author Topic: Frank and Stein (3,900 Words)
innesjen
Member # 6126

- posted      Profile for innesjen   Email innesjen         Edit/Delete Post 
Here are the first 13 lines of my humorous science fiction short story called "Frank and Stein". I'm looking for comments on the first thirteen and on the entire piece. Thanks in advance
Frank released an expansive growl as he drove up the long driveway. His vehicle weaved with the pavement around seemingly leafless oaks that stood like giant gate keepers. His bones jarred with every pothole he hit; his negligence to replace the car’s shocks and his father’s negligence to fill in these catastrophic holes joined together in a physically painful ride paired with memories of the past. Ahead of him lurched the Victorian house; painted in offensive shades of mauve and olive. Frank remembered the years he spent here being ignored and shut out of his Dad’s life. Out of some minute desire to re-establish a relationship which had eluded him for years, Frank ventured to his father’s home.

Posts: 72 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devnal
Member # 6724

- posted      Profile for Devnal   Email Devnal         Edit/Delete Post 
This looks great to me;

2 things I think that are taking away from the otherwise excellent writing:

"His vehicle weaved with the pavement around seemingly leafless oaks that stood like giant gate keepers." took me a couple of reads to understand what was being said here. I'd suggest clarifying a bit more if possible. I think the problem comes from the word seemingly; it tends to run with the beginning of the sentence and is saying the pavement weaved around seemingly, which I couldnt understand at first, but then realized it was seemingly leafless oaks. In short, If you lost the seemingly i would have not been confused... Keep in mind I'm rather simple minded. HA HA

Also, I found your last sentence weak in comparison the the rest of the writing. I feel like its almost a cope out to explain why Frank is on this road. He just felt like reconnecting so he's driving up to his dad's house? I think there is more there. This line doesn't need to be squeezed into this first thirteen. I already know there is tension between the father and son, and I already know he is driving up the driveway to the house.

I would happily read the full thing, but it will take a couple of days for a turn around.

Posts: 303 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crank
Member # 7354

- posted      Profile for Crank   Email Crank         Edit/Delete Post 

You won me over with your combining two forms of (and reasons for) discomfort...

quote:
His bones jarred with every pothole he hit; his negligence to replace the car's shocks and his father’s negligence to fill in these catastrophic holes joined together in a physically painful ride paired with memories of the past.

What dilluted some of my intrigue was that you referred to Frank's situation with his father twice within the space of the next three sentences. The last ("Out of some minute desire...") is obviously important, so I would challenge you to consider the existence of "Frank remembered the years he spent here being ignored and shut out of his Dad’s life" as it currently reads. Just a personal preference on my part. No biggie.

I'll read the story. Send it my way, per favore.

S!
S!...C!

Posts: 620 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AWSullivan
Member # 8059

- posted      Profile for AWSullivan   Email AWSullivan         Edit/Delete Post 
"seemingly leafless" bothers me. How does a tree seem leafless? Either it is leafless or it isn't. Seems a little overwritten. Otherwise it looks great.

~Anthony

Posts: 374 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
innesjen
Member # 6126

- posted      Profile for innesjen   Email innesjen         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the comments. I'll send the story out today for Crank and Devnal. Thanks for the read.
Posts: 72 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.