Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » a delicate problem with this opening

Author Topic: a delicate problem with this opening
arriki
Member # 3079

- posted      Profile for arriki   Email arriki         Edit/Delete Post 
And now there is a much-refined version D below even that.
Go take a look.

I added a version C down a ways on 11/15. I hope it's an improvement from the problems pointed out.

This story is pretty much ready to kiss and send out the door on its own. But, a friend commented how the pov moves in and out of the MC’s head and the field of view ranges from wide to narrow, wide again, narrow again.

So, I’ve been fiddling and fiddling with the opening until I can’t see what I HAVE. Here are two versions. Which one is better?

If anyone would be willing, I'd love to have you read the complete story. It's about 7K words. A dark fantasy.

I'm skipping a line between paragraphs for clarity. Please don't count those as part of the 13.

Version A

Cory could no more sleep than could the sea. Its cold breath raised goosebumps along his bare arms while he sweated under his leather tunic. Crabs scuttled out of his path. He kicked aside a severed arm. Someone’s from the village, or a sea raider’s? Hard to tell.

Blue light flared behind him. Cory turned. Far off, on the promontory at the mouth of the bay, a blue flame rose halfway to the sky. It cast its eerie glow over the beach, the cliffs and the village above them. Cory shivered as he stared at the sight, feeling a pull. A vague desire to go see what caused it. When the flame faltered and vanished. Cory returned his attention to the beach. He was searching for something, something he could not name, only feel the lack of.

Version B

Cory could no more sleep than could the sea. Its cold breath raised goosebumps along his bare arms while he sweated under his leather tunic. He paced the beach, searching for something he could not name, only feel the lack of. Crabs scuttled out of his path. He kicked aside a severed arm. Someone’s from the village, or a sea raider’s? Hard to tell.

Far away, on the promontory at the mouth of the bay, blue light flared, casting its eerie glow over the beach, the cliffs and the village above them. Cory stared at the flame leaping above the rocks, shivered and turned his attention once again to the beach.

All the broken bits of swords and armor were gone, picked up by women from the village and carried away with their men’s

[This message has been edited by arriki (edited November 14, 2008).]

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited November 14, 2008).]

[This message has been edited by arriki (edited November 15, 2008).]

[This message has been edited by arriki (edited November 16, 2008).]

Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
arriki, I don't count the spaces between paragraphs. I only count the lines of text.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kings_falcon
Member # 3261

- posted      Profile for kings_falcon   Email kings_falcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Version C???

Out of the two I liked version A better. Version B felt a bit remote to me. At least in version A I get the sense of what he's feeling about the blue light.

The reason I said version C: The first line doesn't do much for me. Personally:

Cory was searching for something, something he could not name, only feel the lack of. The sea's cold breath raised goosebumps along his bare arms while he sweated under his leather tunic.

is a better hook for me. But that's just me. It also helps explain to me why he didn't investigate the blue light and why it was only a "vague desire."

Either version A or B is nice. As I said, I had a slight preference for A. I'd read but I owe three crits already and you want to send this out soon.

Posts: 1210 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devnal
Member # 6724

- posted      Profile for Devnal   Email Devnal         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't have a problem with the POV. It stays solidly with your character. Was there specific area's that were the problem?
Posts: 303 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kee Stone
Member # 8282

- posted      Profile for Kee Stone   Email Kee Stone         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with kings_falcon about the hooker, but I like this sentence near the beginning,

He paced the beach, searching for something he could not name, only feel the lack of.

as it was used in Version B. Also, this sentence might be better rephrased.

Good luck!

[This message has been edited by Kee Stone (edited November 14, 2008).]

Posts: 35 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick T
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for Nick T   Email Nick T         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

I'll vote for A.

I'd definitely cut the first line...the image of the sea not sleeping is not a particularly strong one and it's a line that I had to read twice.

I think the flow of opening "A" really improved once you got past the first two lines. The second line where the "cold breath" of the sea contrasted with his sweating under his leather tunic slowed me down as well. After that, I had no big issues.

Nick

Posts: 712 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
satate
Member # 8082

- posted      Profile for satate   Email satate         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked version B better just because "searching for something he could not name, only feel the lack of" was closer to the beginning. It gave the entire part more direction. In the first one he's just walking down the beach and we don't know why. Version B we know he's there for a reason, that there's something drawing him. It made it more interesting. I like King's Falcon's suggestion of making it your opening sentence, but it's your story.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoredCrow
Member # 5675

- posted      Profile for BoredCrow   Email BoredCrow         Edit/Delete Post 
I vote for B, and agree with many here that "searching for something he could not name, only feel the lack of" belongs right at the beginning. Otherwise, it fades into the rest of the second paragraph.

But I would also recommend slightly modifying B. Forgive me a cut and paste of your text to show you what I mean? (the bold is where I attached two sentences rather clumsily together)

quote:
Far off, on the promontory at the mouth of the bay, a blue flame rose halfway to the sky. It cast its eerie glow over the beach, the cliffs and the village above them. Cory stared at the sight, feeling a pull. He shivered and turned his attention once again to the beach.

Oh, and I'm having a hard time envisioning the village being above the cliff. Is there another cliff? Or would 'beyond' or 'upon' be more fitting here?

[This message has been edited by BoredCrow (edited November 15, 2008).]

Posts: 554 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

version C? Is this any better? I've moved the reason why Cory can't sleep to right after that statement. I put together all the beach looking and ended that with the distraction of the blue flame. I think I need the flame there as close as possible to the opening lines to prove this is a fantasy, not just some pseudo-historical. After all, Blue flames that reach into the sky are not historical.

Cory could no more sleep than could the sea. He paced the beach searching for something, something he could not name, only feel the lack of.

The sea’s cold breath raised goosebumps along his bare arms while he sweated under his leather tunic. Crabs scuttled out of his path. He kicked aside a severed arm. Someone’s from the village, or a sea raider’s? Hard to tell. The shattered bits of swords and armor were gone, picked up by women from the village and carried away with their men’s bodies. The spearheads had been taken, too. Just broken shafts remained from the battle this afternoon. Those, along with pieces of bodies, waited for the tide to come sweep the strand clean.

Light flared behind him. Cory turned. Far off, on the

Or is this better?
version c+1

Cory could no more sleep than could the sea. He paced the beach while the sea’s cold breath raised goosebumps along his bare arms. He sweated under his leather tunic. Sand sifted into his sandals. Still, he kept searching for something, something he could not name, only feel the lack of.

Light flared behind him. Cory turned. Far off, on the promontory at the mouth of the bay, a blue flame rose halfway to the sky. It cast its eerie glow over the beach, the cliffs, and the village. Cory shivered as he stared at the light, feeling a pull. A vague desire to go see what caused it. He shrugged and returned his attention to the beach.

Crabs scuttled out of his path. He kicked aside a severed arm. Someone’s from the village, or a sea raider’s? Hard to

I forgot to erase the sea's cold breath bit from the last paragraph after adding a version to the first paragraph.

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited November 15, 2008).]

Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
An example of the POV moving problem that your friend mentioned is this: "Light flared behind him. Cory turned..." Until this point the POV was firmly inside Cory's head. But since he can't see behind him, for that first sentence the POV has moved to something cinematic. Then he turns, and we're back in Cory's head once more.

I believe that many regard such arbitrary POV shifts as bad style, because popping out of MC's POV for a sentence or two can disturb the immersion within the MC's head that the reader feels. As I read those two sentences, immersed in Cory's POV, I thought, "If it flared behind him, how'd he know? What made him turn?" While the scene is painted well enough, we're not as close into the character's experience as we might be and the story becomes more remote.

Hope this helps,
Pat

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

If it's dark and light suddenly flares behind you, don't you notice? I would. And it would be obvious that it's coming from behind me. In daylight, no. But at night?

I'm hoping that the fact he can't sleep clues the reader in that it's night.

TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry if I misunderstood but I did. It's for you to decide whether others in your potential readership also would misunderstand.

Since he seems to be having no difficulty seeing things I assumed this was an early morning walk after a bad night's sleep, or maybe a walk under a bright moon.

Either way, I don't think he'd be immediately aware that light had flared behind him, just that light around him seems to have become brighter; then, he'd look around for the source, maybe notice the direction of the shadows, and discover it behind him.

But, if these comments aren't of value, you're free to ignore them of course; it's your story.

Cheers,
Pat

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Talespinner and Arriki. If a bright enough light flares behind me at night I am going to notice it, but I am not going to notice the actual light source, but the effects of the light on the stuff just in front of me. I am going to turn because light falls on the bushes surrounding me and I turn as I am curious to find out where/what the source of this light is--it may be from above. By suggesting it is behind him feels like a POV violation (ever so slightly) because that fact(where it comes from and what it is) has yet to be established and verified by the eyes.

[This message has been edited by skadder (edited November 15, 2008).]

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

Suppose I say -- Light flared around him. He turned to see where it came from.

I can't just say that the light flared and in response he turned.

Actually there are beach fires burning. Small lights but this blue flame is definitly brighter. You'd notice it.

No, I don't like having to say he turned to see where it came from. Must be some other way out of this.

Umm... how about -- he searched the night for something...

or would -- the sea's cold night breath....

Get the idea of night in there?

Could I -- Light flared somewhere behind him -- ???

The problem is that he darn well knows what's causing a blue light there on the beach. That flame's been around flaring up and dying down for many days.

How dense of me!!!

Tonight, Cory could no more sleep than could the sea.

kings_falcon
Member # 3261

- posted      Profile for kings_falcon   Email kings_falcon         Edit/Delete Post 
But for your saying it, I never would have guessed it was night, the inability to sleep just seemed like a reference to exhaustion if he'd been fighting all day. He's searching the beach which implies there is enought light for him to do so. There are crabs, which also for me implied day time. Even mentioning the afternoon fighting didn't make it night time. If it's night, I need to be shown that immediately and have some clue of what he's using for light.

Okay - the light flaring.

If it's night, can't the blue light obliterate his vision for a second - like when the car coming at you has highbeams on and doesn't reduce them. Some tweaking of language should convey that he sees the light flare something around him and turns to find the source.
If he knows what it is, the reference to the blue light should be something like "the blue light cast by . . . "

Posts: 1210 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

On the beach at Padre Island near Corpus Christi, Texas, the little beach crabs run around in greater numbers at night! Don't they other places?

They scurry around on the wet sand below the tidemark.
Maybe it's not a case of "write what you know" but rather write what you assume everyone else knows and find out different.

annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
How about something like: Blue light lit up the night sky. Cory turned to look at its source.

Lacks finesse as written, but could be reworked with a similar idea.

[This message has been edited by annepin (edited November 15, 2008).]

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

version D

Tonight, Cory could no more sleep than could the sea. He paced the beach while the sea’s cold breath raised goosebumps along his bare arms. Under his leather tunic, he sweated. Sand sifted into his sandals. Still, he kept searching for something, something he could not name, only feel the lack of.

From behind him, bluish light flared briefly over the sands. Cory turned. On the promontory at the mouth of the bay, a blue flame rose halfway to the sky. It cast its eerie glow over the beach, the cliffs, and the village. Cory shivered, feeling a pull. A vague desire to go see what caused it. But the blue flame dwindled, leaving the more common, fainter light of driftwood fires and the distant voices of men around them. Cory returned his attention to the beach.

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited November 15, 2008).]

satate
Member # 8082

- posted      Profile for satate   Email satate         Edit/Delete Post 
I like version D because before I assumed the blue light was far and distant. This version makes it stand out more and reveals how bright it really is. It gives it added significance.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoredCrow
Member # 5675

- posted      Profile for BoredCrow   Email BoredCrow         Edit/Delete Post 
I think D works very well.
Posts: 554 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

But now the severed arm, armor and crabs are gone, and with them the sense of dark foreboding--which is still there, but less so.

I understand, now, that the crabs were hinting at the time of day, and this is a clever idea, except that it was lost me because I live inland and, unfortunately, know little of the night-life of beaches. Nevertheless, for me, crabs are creepy creatures and added to my sense of discomfit.

Readers take their cue, to some extent, on how to feel about things from the characters in the story. If the characters are scared, so are we; if they're curious, so are we--and if they dismiss something as uninteresting, so do we. In version D, the bulk of the first 13 is concerned with a flare in which the character shows no interest. It's a nicely drawn scene, but I fear that the reader may pick up on Cory's vague lack of interest and not read further. If, for example, there were a hint that he'd investigate the flare later, or maybe some foreshadowing of its role in the story, I think we'd be drawn in more strongly. Perhaps it could illuminate the body parts, weapons and crabs, and we could follow his interest and thoughts from the flare to the miserable beach it shows us.

(BTW, how about dropping "from behind him"? That would eliminate the slight POV problem and, I think, being more direct, add to the drama of the sudden flare.)

I think that "Cory could no more sleep than could the sea." is a great opening line and its effect is reduced with the addition of "Tonight". Perhaps, instead, to get the sense of night-time, "He paced the star-lit beach while the sea's dark breath ..." Not right but you get the idea.

Hope this helps,
Pat

[This message has been edited by TaleSpinner (edited November 16, 2008).]

[This message has been edited by TaleSpinner (edited November 16, 2008).]

arriki
Member # 3079

Thank you, thank you guys. I'm rather proud of D myself. I wouldn't have it if it weren't for your comments.

The severed arm and all is still there. It comes in the next paragraph along with my beloved crabs.

Yeah, I know what you mean. The "tonight" does break the mood I'm building. But "star-lit beach" seems -- to me -- even worse.
Oh my. what to do? what to do?

The blue light is almost like a major player itself. He does go to the light eventually and we see what causes it. This could almost be considered a horror story rather than a fantasy.

Next part is a flashback scene and then we get to where the story originally opened with Ashurbaal the Red and all at one of those beach fires.

Sure I can't entice some more of you guys lurking out there to request the whole story? Just think how good the rest of the story might be judging from this opening! Oh, wait! You're the reason for the great opening. But trust me, the rest is at least readable.

[This message has been edited by arriki (edited November 16, 2008).]

arriki
Member # 3079

Cut the "tonight" in the first sentence.

How about putting the night in the second paragraph? Too late?

Behind him, bluish light flared briefly over the sands. Cory turned. On the promontory at the mouth of the bay, a blue flame rose halfway to the stars. It cast its eerie glow over the beach, the cliffs, and the village.

Maybe it was talking about reaching halfway to the "sky" gives a slight impression that it's daytime. I guess I could have it halfway to the moon...but that's no guarantee. The moon can be visible in the daytime.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.