Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Eight Arms Hug Better Than Two/ sci fi / first 13

Author Topic: Eight Arms Hug Better Than Two/ sci fi / first 13
honu
Member # 8277

- posted      Profile for honu   Email honu         Edit/Delete Post 
ver 1 / does it hook?//would you read on?// 2600 words and looking for readers
quote:
I met the love of my life while hiking a segment of the Pacific Crest Trail. After I'd hiked through the Cascade Lakes area, I turned towards Crater Lake. It was to be the final destination of my trip and I was making up a little time by hiking by headlamp.
The night was only partly cloudy and the well-worn trail was easy to follow. I planned on pitching my ultra-light tent and turn in for the night after another hour of hiking.
Off in the distance to the south, in the direction I was headed, there was some lightning. There would probably be some fires since it had been a dry summer and fall. I always enjoyed hiking in fire season. It was a thrill to see nature's fury when fire moved through an area.

ver 2 /
quote:
Mom said some day I'd meet a girl that I'd want to introduce to her. I finally did. I never thought she'd be from another planet though.
I met this love of my life while hiking the Pacific Crest Trail. After I'd ambled through the Cascade Lakes area, I turned towards Crater Lake. It was the final destination of my trip and I was traveling by headlamp.
The night was partly cloudy and the well-worn trail was easy to follow. I planned on pitching my ultra-light tent and turn in for the night after another hour of trekking.
In the distance to the south there was lightning. There would be some fires since it'd been a dry summer and fall. I enjoyed hiking in fire season. It was thrilling to see nature's fury when fire moved through an area.

[This message has been edited by honu (edited January 19, 2009).]

Posts: 690 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AmieeRock
Member # 8393

- posted      Profile for AmieeRock   Email AmieeRock         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that, given the title,I would probably read on.

There are a couple of changes you could make, though. Try to use another word besides hike, such as strolling, climbing, tramping, perhaps exploring. Also I would simply state that I was hiking the Pacific Crest Trail, rather than a segment of it. It seems more direct that way.

Posts: 72 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bycin
Member # 8297

- posted      Profile for Bycin   Email Bycin         Edit/Delete Post 
I wasn't really hooked enough to want to keep reading. There wasn't enough action for my tastes.

Also, you used some form for the word 'hike' five times in the first thirteen. You should probably vary that a little. It was rather distracting.

I'd recommend a revision where something more exciting happens.

Posts: 76 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick T
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for Nick T   Email Nick T         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

Great title and that will get you a long way, but I think you've chosen the wrong starting point for this story. As Bycin has noted, nothing really happens in the first 13. As both have noted, a bit of variation in word choice will help.

Regards,

Nick

Posts: 712 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
honu
Member # 8277

thanks guys///title is my hook///way to much "hike" and back story for a short story is the concensus///and wrong starting point I will spice up ver 2 thanks 2600 words and looking for readers

[This message has been edited by honu (edited January 19, 2009).]

Posts: 690 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bycin
Member # 8297

- posted      Profile for Bycin   Email Bycin         Edit/Delete Post 
I like your second version a little better, though I still think it suffers from the same overall issue as the first. Nothing much really happens.

I'd recommend getting the alien girlfriend in a little sooner, maybe by combining your first couple sentences.

"My mother always said I would introduce her to the girl of my dreams, but neither of us imagined she'd be from another planet."

Just a suggestion, of course.

On a side note, I just have to ask, because I can't figure it out for myself... What is with all the slashes in your responses? (I'm not trying to come off as overly critical or anything, I genuinely just don't understand.)

Posts: 76 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
honu
Member # 8277

it's my own version of slight change of thought

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.