Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Revel - Fantasy - 9800 words

Author Topic: Revel - Fantasy - 9800 words
sjsampson
Member # 8075

- posted      Profile for sjsampson   Email sjsampson         Edit/Delete Post 
It appears to be my turn to post my very first 13 lines. I'm looking for comments on the first 13 and readers for the whole thing, or even the first 20 pages. Thanks!
---

Since I had arrived in the city of Kraichis this morning, an unprecedented number of people had told me to get lost. I was too busy running at the time to inform them that amongst the sea of shoppers and maze of merchant stalls I was, in fact, already there.

Dust-stained colonnades loomed at each end of the market. Their crumbling marble columns surrounded me and taunted my boyish hopes. This was not the Kraichis of my dreams.

There were no warlocks here.

My brother had lied about the warlocks, among other things. No surprise there. I had yet to encounter an honest person in my eleven years; I even lied to myself. The only dependable, painfully honest thing that remained in my life was my stomach.

Posts: 133 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
C L Lynn
Member # 8007

- posted      Profile for C L Lynn   Email C L Lynn         Edit/Delete Post 
Three things: 1) I had to read the first paragraph twice to figure out where "already there" was. (2)This phrase -- "Their crumbling marble columns surrounded me" -- doesn't really add much, seems redundant after the lovely sentence that precedes it. (3)I have trouble equating this voice with an eleven-year-old.

That aside, I liked the energy of this opening and the hints of an exotic setting. The idea of a search for warlocks is intriguing, and the last paragraph causes me to feel for this boy.

I'll take a look at the first twenty pages for you. Absolutely!

Posts: 226 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kitti
Member # 7277

- posted      Profile for Kitti   Email Kitti         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with C L Lynn on all counts.

Some more nits:
Maybe start with "Since my arrival in the city of Kraichis..." to knock out the "had" - I forget the proper name for the tense you used, but I remember reading in an editor's blog that it was generally a bad idea. You don't really need to use that tense to convey what you're trying to say, anyway.

"The only dependable, painfully honest thing that remained in my life was my stomach." This line makes me think he's lost someone - esp. "that remained" - who used to be honest with him, and seemingly contradicts the "I had yet to encounter..."

That all said, I love the idea of an "unprecedented" number of people telling him to get lost - so it's happened before, but we're taking it to a new scale. I'm really feeling for this kid - lost, hungry, alone, searching.... I'm ready to go warlock hunting!

If it can wait a week or two, I'll try to read it all. I'm a bit crunched for time at the moment (which of course you can't tell because I'm procrastinating on Hatrack...)

[This message has been edited by Kitti (edited March 01, 2009).]

Posts: 715 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sjsampson
Member # 8075

Thanks for the comments both of you. It looks like I'll have to revise the opening eventually.

The rest is on its way.

Posts: 133 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sjsampson
Member # 8075

Yeah the "sea" and "maze" both are a bit much.

Part of the reason for that marble column sentence was to provide context for someone who might not know what a colonnade was. Maybe more people know what a colonnade is than I originally thought.

Thanks for taking the time to comment.

Brant Danay
Member # 8087

- posted      Profile for Brant Danay           Edit/Delete Post 
Just a few quick thoughts:

I, too, required two readings to understand the connection between "get lost" and "already there". I think a simple amendment to "already lost" would be one option.

I, personally, didn't mind the usage of both "sea of shoppers" and "maze of merchants" in one sentence. Probably just a matter of taste.

I'm intrigued by the warlocks, and who doesn't love colonnades I like your style and imagery.

Best regards,

Brant

Posts: 176 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.