Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » "Unforeseen Consequences" Horror (some gore)

Author Topic: "Unforeseen Consequences" Horror (some gore)
melme54
Member # 8482

- posted      Profile for melme54   Email melme54         Edit/Delete Post 
I've had this idea knocking around in my head for months. What if humans that are turned into zombies retain their awareness... After toying with several different styles I finally put this down. I know it's kind of grotesque but it's the only way to tell it. What do you think?

Also, looking for readers for what I have so far (it's only 586 words). I'm wondering if it works as is for flash or if I should flesh it out more as a longer story. Let me know if you're interested.

Original 13 lines:

The dripping gobs of bloody horse flesh are forced down my dry, battered throat. Others around me, crazed at the smell of blood and meat, push violently against me. I feel ashamed and helpless as my ragged nails rip again into the still warm belly of this once beautiful stallion. My teeth viciously sink into the offal. I am repulsed by the feel of my mouth filling with blood and entrails. Unchewed chunks are pushed down by an unlubricated esophagus and my desiccated stomach bulges, skin straining. It isn’t enough. It’s never enough. Hunger is no longer just a feeling, not a whim to be obeyed upon convenience. Hunger is an all consuming obsession, the only urge this wretched corpse body obeys. Hunger is my life.

Revised 13 lines:

I choke the bloody horse flesh down my dry, ill-used throat. The others crowd against me, crazed by the smell of blood. My ragged nails tear into the still warm belly of this once beautiful stallion. Shoved aside, I desperately clutch my dripping prize. My teeth sink savagely into the offal. I am sickened by the feel of my mouth filling with blood and entrails, but fighting my “brothers” for what is mine, I quickly devour the flesh in my hands. Blood and fluids drip down my face and chest as unchewed intestines slither viscously down my unlubricated esophagus. My stomach bulges, skin straining. It isn’t enough. It’s never enough. Hunger is no longer just a feeling: a whim to be obeyed when convenient. Hunger is my all-consuming obsession, the only urge this wretched corpse-flesh obeys. Hunger is my life.

[This message has been edited by melme54 (edited March 09, 2009).]

Posts: 56 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philipmcclelland
Member # 8494

- posted      Profile for philipmcclelland   Email philipmcclelland         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,
Your story reminded me of a short that Ray Bradbury did. I'm sorry I can't remember the title but it was in the Dark Delicacies anthology.

I didn't think your story was too gory, in fact I would have liked a little more dark atmosphere to get me in the mood of the story. I would try to clean up the first sentence a little. The speed that the zombie is devouring the food is a lot faster in my head than the speed that your first sentence reads. I imagine the sentences being choppier and "hungrier," like your zombie. The last thing I was looking for was a little more of a hook. Is this guy just going around eating horses or is there somewhere he is going. Redemption, damnation, self-obliteration?

Thanks for your post. I love the genre. If you do a rewrite I'd like to read it.

Posts: 10 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brant Danay
Member # 8087

- posted      Profile for Brant Danay           Edit/Delete Post 
Gore? Whoo-hoo!

This was pretty smooth and contained lots of great imagery. Only a couple of things tripped me up:

"Unchewed chunks are pushed down by an unlubricated esophagus and my desiccated stomach bulges, skin straining."

Unchewed chunks seemed somewhat vague and awkward to me. Perhaps fleshing it out (so to speak) into something like "Unchewed chunks of gore (or some other word or phrase here, maybe intestines or bloody organs or somesuch) might be a little smoother.

"Hunger is an all consuming obsession, the only urge this wretched corpse body obeys."

I believe "all consuming" needs a dash, i.e. "all-consuming", and I think you might be able to drop the word "body" from this line, or perhaps use the term "corpse's body".

This reminded me obliquely of a particular scene from C.S. Friedman's Coldfire Trilogy, which can only mean good things for the rest of the story

Just a few random thoughts I had while perusing your darknesses. Hopefully some of them can help you out.

Best regards,

Brant

[This message has been edited by Brant Danay (edited March 06, 2009).]

Posts: 176 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
melme54
Member # 8482

Thanks for the feedback. You've given me some ideas to polish up the story and I've decided to make it longer. Unfortunately, I have it saved on my work computer and it's getting an overhaul right now... O_o It could be weeks before I get to work on it again, but maybe that's a good thing. Give it time to simmer on the back burner.
Posts: 56 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The dripping gobs of[[...greasy, grimy, gopher guts... This one didn't work for me. I realize that you are establishing the characters voice and this is something which the character might think or say, but as an opening line, I immediately though of childrens story. Perhaps 'putrid chunks' or 'fresh warm morsel']] bloody horse flesh are forced down[[By whom or what?]] my dry, battered {{I am having difficulty imagining the term here. Battered externally or internally. This is begging a cause. I might find a new adjective or elaborate.}} throat. Others around me, crazed at the smell of blood and meat, push violently against me. I feel ashamed and helpless as my ragged nails rip again into the still warm belly of this once beautiful stallion. My teeth viciously sink into the offal. I am repulsed by the feel of my mouth filling with blood and entrails. Unchewed chunks are pushed[[ I understand that you are trying to convey a sense of inner conflict about the devouring of this animal, but the verbs 'forced' and 'pushed' are making me search mentally, for an antagonist who is forcing things down his throat.]]down by an unlubricated esophagus and my desiccatedIn my understanding of this term which is based in my Botany background, related to total dehydration, powdered. I just get the wrong image.]][/b] stomach bulges, skin straining. It isn’t enough. [i]It’s never enough.[/][[This implies a long term familiarity and the proceeding line implies this is a recent change in the MC]] Hunger is no longer just a feeling, not a whim to be obeyed upon convenience. Hunger is an all consuming obsession, the only urge this wretched corpse body obeys. Hunger is my life.

I didn't like the voice here, although I liked the premise and content. The voice seems detached as if a third person conversion to first. The Mc's voice seems to need a more primal tone. As a predator, even if it has been recently turned into one would still employ the senses of such a creature. Smell sounds should be amplified and confusing especially if this is a new change. The inner conflict is good, but seems superficially done in this text.

Oh, it is a zombie story. I at first was thinking something other. I will give it a look if you'd like.

Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
melme54
Member # 8482

Thanks for the input. I know it still needs a lot of work, that's why I'm looking for feedback. I don't have access to the full story right now (work computer's being worked on) but I'll send it as soon as I get it back it that's alright.

[This message has been edited by melme54 (edited March 09, 2009).]

Bent Tree
Member # 7777

I hope I wasn't too critical. I tend to get nitty with pieces in which I find passion. I think you have some really great elements here. I will be glad to offer my help whenever you are ready feel free to send it.
Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
melme54
Member # 8482

No, I always appreciate nit picking. Thanks for the honesty!
melme54
Member # 8482

Okay revised 13 lines open for critique:

I choke the bloody horse flesh down my dry, ill-used throat. The others crowd against me, crazed by the smell of blood. My ragged nails tear into the still warm belly of this once beautiful stallion. Shoved aside, I desperately clutch my dripping prize. My teeth sink savagely into the offal. I am sickened by the feel of my mouth filling with blood and entrails, but fighting my “brothers” for what is mine, I quickly devour the flesh in my hands. Blood and fluids drip down my face and chest as unchewed intestines slither viscously down my unlubricated esophagus. My stomach bulges, skin straining. It isn’t enough. It’s never enough. Hunger is no longer just a feeling: a whim to be obeyed when convenient. Hunger is my all-consuming obsession, the only urge this wretched corpse-flesh obeys. Hunger is my life.

Bent Tree
Member # 7777

I like the revision. It serves to clarify the ideas and also the voice is more convincing.
melme54
Member # 8482

Thanks. Now if I could just get my hands on the rest of the story... Sigh. Patience isn't one of my virtues!
philipmcclelland
Member # 8494

- posted      Profile for philipmcclelland   Email philipmcclelland         Edit/Delete Post 
i enjoyed your rewrite. I'd be interested in reading it when your done. Let me know.
Philip

Posts: 10 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.