Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Jack's Coffin, Flash Horror.

Author Topic: Jack's Coffin, Flash Horror.
shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
Looking for readers for a quick disturbing piece of prose. Any help for the first thirteen would be awesome. ummm.. there's some cursing.
~Sheena

I was twelve when I made that coffin. My brother’s coffin. Jack was three and stricken with the yeller fever. The Doc said he wouldn't last until Sunday. I worked eleven hours every day that week.
I loved my brother, and that coffin proved it. It was real tight too, tight on the edges so no worms could crawl through. That’s what made me work so hard, I kept seeing worms eating my brother's face. Every time I closed my eyes that’s what I saw.
It was stained and varnished and shone like you wouldn’t believe. I was damn proud of that box. It made my momma cry,
when she saw it. I think it brought her real comfort that her baby boy would be going out nice and comfortable.
Course then, the son of a b**** didn’t die.

[This message has been edited by shimiqua (edited March 09, 2009).]

Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
trade ya. I have a flash--hot off the press.
Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brant Danay
Member # 8087

- posted      Profile for Brant Danay           Edit/Delete Post 
Cursing? That ****'s ****ing offensive.

"The Doc said he had about a week, so I worked hard, eleven hours every day that week."

I thought this read funny and could be reworded or transformed into two sentences. The particular part I noticed was that it seemed to me "I worked hard that week, eleven hours every day" would have a smoother flow. I realize that this would be too quick to use the word "week" again in one sentence. Maybe "The Doc said he had about one week left. I worked hard that week, eleven hours a day", or somesuch.

"I kept seeing worm eating my brother's face."

Worm should probably be pluralized into worms. I have to say I really like that sentence as it is. I don't know, it just sounds cool for some reason. You were probably going for multiple worms, though, hence the comment.

"I was damn proud of that box, it made my momma cry,
when she saw it."

Might read better as two sentences, i.e. "I was damn proud of that box. It made my momma cry when she saw it." I think a semi-comma would also be an option. I personally would go with two sentences, but that might just be me.

Nice and creepy. Keep up the good work.

Best regards,

Brant

Posts: 176 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shimiqua
Member # 7760

Sweet, thanks Bent Tree.
I'll send mine, you send yours.

And Brant thanks for your imput. Really helpful. You want to read more? There's a whole lot of creepy left to go.

I'm going to try to submit this one, surprising for me, so imput is extra helpful.
~Sheena

Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheyne
Member # 7710

- posted      Profile for Cheyne   Email Cheyne         Edit/Delete Post 
This sounds cool; nice hook!
I'll read the whole thing if you like.
Don't be scared, I'm nicer than I used to be.

PS Capitalize Sunday.

Posts: 340 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shimiqua
Member # 7760

Thanks Cheyne.
It's in the mail.
~Sheena

Brant Danay
Member # 8087

- posted      Profile for Brant Danay           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, send it along, I'll check it out.

Best regards,

Brant

Posts: 176 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.