Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » A Spin of the Disc (sci-fi/fantasy)

Author Topic: A Spin of the Disc (sci-fi/fantasy)
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
Usual comments...on either or both.

A:

Zach watched the commuters hurry past. The subway was cold, dark and acrid with odour of stale urine, but the wind-scoured, sub-zero streets above were colder still--not the place to be. He huddled further into his sleeping bag.
“Spare some change, please,” Zach repeated his litany for the five hundredth time that morning.
A grey-faced man paused in mid-stride to fumble in his pocket. He slung a handful of change down.
Zach counted the coins as they spun in the air towards the wooden bowl on the floor. Nine—no—ten spinning coins. He added it up--two dollars sixty-five in all—not bad.
The coins clinked as they landed; Zach reached to pocket them.
"No, leave them," a man's voice said, "There’s no time, Zach."

or B:

The commuters hurried past. The subway was cold, dark and acrid with the odour of stale urine, but the wind-scoured, sub-zero streets above were colder still--not the place to be. Zach shivered in his sleeping bag.
“Spare some change, please,” he said--most ignored his plea.
A grey-faced man paused in mid-stride to fumble in his pocket. He slung a handful of change down--a frown creasing his well-moisturised face. No doubt, his good deed done for the day.
Zach counted the coins as they spun in the air towards the wooden bowl on the floor. Nine—no—ten spinning coins. He totaled it up--two dollars sixty-five in all—not bad.
The coins clinked as they landed. Zach reached to scoop them up.
"No, leave them," a man's voice said, "It's time to go, Zach."

Version A revised:

Zach watched the commuters hurry past. The cold subway was acrid with the odour of stale urine, but the sub-zero streets above were colder still--not the place to be. He huddled further into his sleeping bag.
“Spare some change, please,” Zach repeated his litany for the five hundredth time that morning.
A grey-faced man paused in mid-stride to fumble in his pocket. He slung a handful of change down with a thin smile.
Zach counted the coins as they spun in the air towards the wooden bowl on the floor. Nine, no, ten flashing coins. He added it up--two dollars sixty-five in total—not bad.
The coins clinked as they landed; Zach reached to pocket them.
"No, leave them," a man's voice said, "There’s no time, Zach."

[This message has been edited by skadder (edited April 01, 2009).]

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheyne
Member # 7710

- posted      Profile for Cheyne   Email Cheyne         Edit/Delete Post 
Six of one... They are about equal. In the first instance I was struck by the over-abundance of modifiers. The second sentence alone contains seven. You also dropped the 'the' before odour in the first draft making it an awkward read.
The hook is good. Zach's savant-like coin counting abilities and the mysterious stranger and his urgency pull me in.
I'll read if you like.

Posts: 340 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sjsampson
Member # 8075

- posted      Profile for sjsampson   Email sjsampson         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure where your story takes place, but because you used 'dollar' I assumed American coins. Maybe I'm having a slow day, but I'm trying to figure out how you would get 2.65 out of 10 coins without using half dollars.

Posts: 133 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

What about dollar coin, plus six quarters and 3 nickles? Isn't that $2-65?

Now go and take your medication...

To be honest I just guessed a figure. The story isn't started except for this excerpt...I got it figured out, but not written.

Thanks for the offer.

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Maybe I'm having a slow day, but I'm trying to figure out how you would get 2.65 out of 10 coins without using half dollars.

dollar + 6 quarters + 3 nickles = 2.65

Dollar coins aren't popular here but they do exist and are more common in places like New York (which is where I imagine this to be)

I like version A the best.

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked revision A the best. The ending phrase is tighter and quietly insistent.

I'd consider removing the '--not the place to be.' It's obvious sub-zero temperatures are not the place to be.

The coin counting is interesting, however the uncertainty expressed at 'nine no ten spinning coins', shouldn't be an issue if he is the coin/disc counter he likely is, perceiving the number of coins is part of his talent. Admittedly a nit.

The hook is very good and would definitely get me at least a page further.

Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

quote:
...shouldn't be an issue if he is the coin/disc counter he likely is, perceiving the number of coins is part of his talent.

You must be thinking about another story! Counting coins in mid-air is only an indication that he is different...it isn't his talent, per se.

melme54
Member # 8482

- posted      Profile for melme54   Email melme54         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting, I like version A (revised) better of the two. I think it sets up how mundane the morning is before having the mystery introduced. Very good hook.
Posts: 56 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.