Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Stepping Out-Slipstream Flash-923 words

Author Topic: Stepping Out-Slipstream Flash-923 words
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

- posted      Profile for Merlion-Emrys   Email Merlion-Emrys         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok this is my first attempt at writing a very short short story. It was born of the feeling of insulation and isolation I often experience in certain small, private rooms, the question of what would happen if you opened the door of such a small room and found that it had become your own tiny, private world?

Thats how it started anyway but it sort of transmogrified into something else as I went along. I'm not sure I am ok with it it...it went from being sort of a purely surreal thing to a little spot about people and connecting and that kind of thing...anyway its the first time I've tried the whole flash thing so I'm very open to suggestions. Comments on the begining are fine, I'd really like some readers though. Thanks in advance.

Alex listened to Janice talk as they ate. He didn’t process most of it. He caught some bits about the classes she was taking in college and her gay brother’s failed relationships.
She leaned forward and looked right at him. He suspected she knew his attention was wavering.
“So, what do you think? Business or economics?”
“Um, I dunno. What’s the difference, really?”
“You haven’t been listening to me at all, have you?”
“I’m trying, baby, but you know I’m not into the whole college thing. Study groups, projects, big classes. You know I don’t like…stepping out of myself. ”
She rolled her eyes.

Posts: 2626 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

- posted      Profile for extrinsic   Email extrinsic         Edit/Delete Post 
Alex is indifferent and distracted. I felt the same about this opening because that's Alex' emotional state. Alex is interiorizing his situation, but Janice is distracting him, and she's uncomfortable with his indifference. Odd when resonance with a point of view character's circumstances impedes reader immersion.

Causation's influence influxes or effluxes, incoming or outgoing cause and effect. Inward pressing influx causes compel external character reactions, or outward pressing causes compel external reactions. Alex seems to have an internal struggle that might present as an efflux. A portrayal of his internal struggle probably comes later, but doing so as soon as possible in the opening might defuse impediments to reader immersion.

[This message has been edited by extrinsic (edited May 17, 2009).]

Posts: 6037 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
Extrinsic you must be unbeatable at scrabble.

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
I couldn't get engaged.

There is a flow to the opening, but when it ends, it promises nothing. The beginning is in Alex's POV, yet he infuses a lack of interest into the opening that is translated to the reader. The reader identifies with Janice as she rolls her eyes. Does Alex even notice this?

You've got Alex already checked out, how are you going to get the reader to check in after that opening? Perhaps this opening isn't quite the right place to start your story.

Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kaz
Member # 7968

- posted      Profile for Kaz   Email Kaz         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with Extrinsic and Owasm on this one. There's nothing to drag me in. Like Alex, I am indifferent to whatever it is your opening gives me.
Posts: 72 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrsBrown
Member # 5195

- posted      Profile for MrsBrown   Email MrsBrown         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe make it an argument? More heat, emotion, tension.
Posts: 785 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devnal
Member # 6724

- posted      Profile for Devnal   Email Devnal         Edit/Delete Post 
I really liked the first 3 sentences, weird huh? They are not hooky or overly compelling, but I feel as though I can relate to them. I think you set Alex' mood well. Lost for other words to describe it, to me the first 3 feel "real".

It got lost on me at the 4th

"She leaned forward and looked right at him. He suspected she knew his attention was wavering." <-- I feel like you need to restate one of there names here. like "Alex suspected she knew his attention was wavering."

The next two lines go good, feels like real conversation.

"I'm trying, baby..." This felt out of place, like a forced line from Alex.
I might be identifying too much with Alex in these first thirteen and therefore expeecting his reaction to be more like what my reaction would be to Janice.

I think it has good potential. I am gone till monday next week, but if you don't mind waiting you can send the whole thing my way and I'll give it a read.

Posts: 303 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

- posted      Profile for Merlion-Emrys   Email Merlion-Emrys         Edit/Delete Post 
Well actually one of the editors of "The Legendary" has offered to publish this there, so I guess I don't necessarily need readers. There not sure exactly when it will appear though so anyone that wants to see the whole thing let me know.
Posts: 2626 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.