Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Liberty Blade

Author Topic: Liberty Blade
drake the thall
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for drake the thall   Email drake the thall         Edit/Delete Post 
well, the premise is pretty simple: an assassin, working for the govornment and hating every minute of it.

Phoenix, Arizona. in the street below, a riot has started because a man has just collapsed from a knife wound. the man is a well known figure in this part of town, he runs a crime syndicate and has been avoiding police for two years. that evasiveness ends today.

I walk away, sheathing the knife in my hand as I do. I have to report.

Posts: 35 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BenM
Member # 8329

- posted      Profile for BenM   Email BenM         Edit/Delete Post 
My first thoughts:
1) The point of view seems all over the place. [in the street below... a man has just collapsed from a knife wound] implies the pov is looking down on the street from a high vantage point, while [I walk away, sheathing the knife in my hand as I do]
2) References with respect to the target should probably be past tense, ie
[he runs a crime syndicate]->[he ran a crime syndicate] or
[has been avoiding police for two years]->[was avoiding (the) police (these last) two years] or
[that evasiveness ends today]->[that evasiveness ended today]
which is to say, the character has put the man behind him.
3) [sheathing the knife in my hand] without any indication yet showing this is an SF story and he's somehow modified, this is confusing: I'd expect someone to sheath their knife in a scabbard, for example.
4) Capitalisation, ie [. in the]->[. In the]. It helps the reader. Plus, I seem to notice that the fewer simple things there are to point out, the more a critiquer might look past technicalities and focus on the meat of the story.

Posts: 921 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
waterchaser
Member # 8729

- posted      Profile for waterchaser   Email waterchaser         Edit/Delete Post 
Give it to me again. But give me more than explication and a premise and the first sentence.

What does he do next? Is anything crucial to giving the report? Does he wipe the blade? Does he sanitize it?

How does he escape?

How is going to get out of this?

Look forward to reading the rest.

waterchaser

Posts: 60 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.