Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » The Hunt,Fantasy,2000 words

Author Topic: The Hunt,Fantasy,2000 words
Icared
Member # 8091

- posted      Profile for Icared   Email Icared         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

This is a story that was written mostly to get acquinted with a character and a belief system. I tried to make it somewhat dark. Don't know how it turned out. Looking for opinions on the first 13 and also people who want to read the whole thing.

First 13:

The mob flowed around Barc. His bare feet stood firm on the muddy ground, despite the mass of people, close to fifty men, shouldering past him, urging him to move on.
One of them gave him a disapproving stare as he passed by. O my beloved prophet, protect me from these tainted souls, Barc thought. The man's eyes didn't linger though. They moved on, surveying everything around in wide arcs. As the torch lights danced wildly on the man's face, raindrops sparkled like pearls buried in his chin.
When the prophet blessed the city with rain, it was always in drenching downpours. It had been no different tonight. The rain had numbed Barc's senses, leaving him with little to track the man down. Yet he had not fret.

2nd(small changes only)

The mob flowed around Barc. His bare feet stood firm on the muddy ground despite the mass of people, close to fifty men, shouldering past him.
One of them gave him a disapproving stare as he passed by. O my beloved prophet, protect me from these tainted souls, Barc thought. The man's eyes didn't linger, though. They moved on, surveying everything around in wide arcs. As the torch lights danced wildly on the man's face, raindrops sparkled like pearls buried in his chin.
Whenever the prophet blessed the city with rain, it was always in drenching downpours. It had been no different tonight. The rain had numbed Barc's senses, leaving him with little to track the man down. Yet he had not fret.

[This message has been edited by Icared (edited August 02, 2009).]

Posts: 51 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jayazman
Member # 2818

- posted      Profile for jayazman   Email jayazman         Edit/Delete Post 
I will give you my thoughts, and that's all they are, my thoughts. Others in here will undoubtedly give you a better critique, so here goes:

The mob flowed around Barc. His bare feet stood firm on the muddy ground, despite the mass of people, close to fifty men, shouldering past him, urging him to move on. Too may comma's, break this sentence up
One of them gave him a disapproving stare as he passed by. O my beloved prophet, protect me from these tainted souls, Barc thought. The man's eyes didn't linger though. They moved on, surveying everything around in wide arcs. Who is doing the surveying? As the torch lights danced wildly on the man's face, is this the same man who gave him a disapproving stare? It's not clearraindrops sparkled like pearls buried in his chin.
When the prophet blessed the city with rain,sounds like this is the first time it happened it was always in drenching downpours now it sounds like it has happened many times. It had been no different tonight. The rain had numbed Barc's senses, leaving him with little to track the man downwhat man, why is he tracking him?. Yet he had not fret.I'm not sure what this means

The premise sounds interesting, just has a few problems with the execution.

Posts: 212 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeffBarton
Member # 5693

- posted      Profile for JeffBarton   Email JeffBarton         Edit/Delete Post 
From this I read that Barc is in a mob of men who are doing something different than he is. The mob disapproves of the difference, if not of him personally. The recent rain has reduced the ability of Barc's senses, so he expects a little trouble tracking down his prey.

Some connotations in the word choices add mood:

'Mob' implies hostility which is consistent with the disapproving stare. The hostility doesn't result in any more than the stare, at least not yet.

The prayer to the prophet about 'tainted souls' shows that Barc considers himself superior to the men in the mob on a spiritual basis.

'Numbed... senses' implies that the senses are paranormal and enable him to excel at hunting down the man. That he's not worried implies that the effect of the rain is not unusual.

There's quite a bit of story in there: The primary hook is the promise of action in the impending hunt. The fantasy element of Barc's senses, his association with 'the prophet' and his independence from the mob characterize him, but we don't yet know whether he's good or bad.

I don't have any trouble with picturing the scene: Night since torch lights are needed, muddy and dripping after a rain and the mob of men swarming around Barc.

Questions are raised that need to be answered fairly soon. I don't think they fit in the first 13, but should be addressed on the next page or so:

What environment are they in? Town? Forest? Battlefield? Why is the mob aroused? Common threat? Reaction to something Barc did? Reaction to something his prey did? What sensing powers does Barc have? What is it about his prey that can be sensed?

I would also expect tension to increase while his numbed senses recover.

I see a few editing nits and there may be more:

I suggest the following punctuation changes in the second sentence, removing the commas after 'ground' and 'men':

"His bare feet stood firm on the muddy ground despite the mass of people, close to fifty men shouldering past him, urging him to move on." Then the value of the parenthetic in the middle of the sentence has to be considered. It breaks the flow, but I think it works to let the reader visualize the size of the mob.

The prayer Barc thought should be in italics, and probably were before being posted.

I think a comma is needed after 'linger'

Perhaps the last sentence would work better as "Yet he did not fret" or "... had no fear."

I'll offer to read the whole thing, if you like.

Posts: 243 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icared
Member # 8091

- posted      Profile for Icared   Email Icared         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the comments. I have made some small changes in the first 13 and also sent the story to you JeffBarton.
Posts: 51 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoredCrow
Member # 5675

- posted      Profile for BoredCrow   Email BoredCrow         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like an interesting start. I'll read.
Posts: 554 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.