Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » CORY

Author Topic: CORY
arriki
Member # 3079

- posted      Profile for arriki   Email arriki         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm looking for people to read the entire story, too.
aug 25 - alternate opening posted here and down belong

Cory could no more sleep than could the sea. Its cold breath raised goosebumps along his bare arms while he sweated under his leather tunic. Sand sifted into his sandals. Still, he kept searching for something, something he could not name, only feel the lack of.

Light flared behind him. Cory turned. Far off, on the promontory at the mouth of the bay, a blue flame rose halfway into the night sky. It cast its eerie glow over the beach, the cliffs, and the village on top of the cliffs. Cory shivered as he stared at the light, feeling a pull. A vague desire to go see what caused it teased him. He shrugged off the feeling and returned his attention to the beach.

The shattered bits of swords and armor were gone, picked up by women from the village and carried away with their men’s bodies.

alternate opening

Cory recalled it more clearly than anything before in his life. He remembered cowering behind farmer Rod and the miller this afternoon.

The Duke’s soldiers had spent the morning forcing men from their homes to stand on the sand armed with pitchforks and oak staffs to fight the sea raiders. The blacksmith’s son and his friends pretended they weren’t as scared as the rest of the village men, as if fighting sea raiders were no more trouble than beating Cory senseless after they’d had a mug or three of ale. Even though the bullies weren’t looking his way at the moment, Cory chewed nervously on his hand, the one holding upright the scythe thrust upon him for the coming battle.

“Easy, lad,” whispered farmer Rod. In his slow, dimwitted way

[This message has been edited by arriki (edited August 25, 2009).]

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited August 26, 2009).]

Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jayazman
Member # 2818

- posted      Profile for jayazman   Email jayazman         Edit/Delete Post 
Cory could no more sleep than could the sea. <~~ for some reason I find this sentence jarring. I can't say specifically why. I would almost recommend taking it out but then the next sentence wouldn't make any sense Its cold breath raised goosebumps along his bare arms while he sweated under his leather tunic. Sand sifted into his sandals. Still, he kept searching for something, something he could not name, only feel the lack of. good descriptions

Light flared behind him. Cory turned. Far off, on the promontory at the mouth of the bay, a blue flame rose halfway into the night sky. It cast its eerie glow over the beach, the cliffs, and the village on top of the cliffs. <~~goodCory shivered as he stared at the light, feeling a pull. A vague desire to go see what caused it teased him. He shrugged off the feeling and returned his attention to the beach. He is surprisingly uninterested in the blue light. So I'm thinking this is a comman occurance or he is being coerced to keep searching the beach. It's a bit ambiguous.

The shattered bits of swords and armor were gone, picked up by women from the village and carried away with their men’s bodies.

So far, I like it, I would keep reading to see what happened.

Posts: 212 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting, but a few things jump out at me.

"Sand sifted into his sandals." - you might try "through his sandals". I spent all day yesterday at the beach and I was grateful for the sand in, sand out feature of my sandals. My boyfrined, who was wearing high top sneakers, brought half the beach home with him. This might be a nitpick but it caught my attention.

"feel the lack of" - not sure about ending a sentence with 'of'. Maybe there's a better way to word this.

You mention 'cliffs' twice in one sentence. You can probably drop the first one as the second one with the village tells us of the cliff's existence and what the light is doing on them.

Cory is looking for something but he doesn't know what but the thing that tugs at him he shrugs off and ignores. I don't know if he's shrugging off what he may actually be looking for or if he knows what the feeling is or why he might not be interested. This might be a tease that keeps me guessing for awhile or it might be something to consider clarifying. Were you going for vagueness here? Do you explain it at some point?

I hope this helps. I'd be happy to read it if you'd like. It definitely has me curious.

Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

jayazman -- you said you would keep reading. I have what I hope is the final version. WOULD you like to read it?
Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jayazman
Member # 2818

- posted      Profile for jayazman   Email jayazman         Edit/Delete Post 
Sure!
I have said this before, but fair warning, it takes me at least a week to reply, but go ahead and send it over.

Posts: 212 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

I hear you. I'm real slow too -- usually. On occasion I'm speedy, but rarely.
alliedfive
Member # 7811

- posted      Profile for alliedfive   Email alliedfive         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty sure I've critted this one before, but send it over anyway!
Posts: 323 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troy
Member # 2640

- posted      Profile for Troy   Email Troy         Edit/Delete Post 
Are you still looking for readers? If so, send it to me, please.
Posts: 214 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

I'm in the middle of some major buffing and polishing.

Let me send you the next revision.
Okay?

monstewer
Member # 5883

- posted      Profile for monstewer   Email monstewer         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll take a look at the next revision when it's ready if you're still after readers for it.
Posts: 373 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

Noted. Send copies out to Troy and monstewer.
Teraen
Member # 8612

- posted      Profile for Teraen   Email Teraen         Edit/Delete Post 
When you are ready, I'd love to read it.
Posts: 496 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

Several people have said they think I started Cory at the wrong place.

Would this be better?

Cory recalled it more clearly than anything before in his life. He was cowering behind farmer Rod and the miller.

The Duke’s soldiers had spent the morning forcing men from their homes to stand on the sand armed with pitchforks and oak staffs to fight the sea raiders. The blacksmith’s son and his friends pretended they weren’t as scared as the rest of the village men, as if fighting sea raiders were no more trouble than beating Cory senseless after they’d had a mug or three of ale. Even though the bullies weren’t looking his way at the moment, Cory chewed nervously on his hand, the one holding upright the scythe thrust upon him for the coming battle.

“Easy, lad,” whispered farmer Rod. In his slow, dimwitted way Cory had always trusted Rod. “All we have to do is slow the

I think this takes too long to reach the fantasy elements. What do you think?

[This message has been edited by arriki (edited August 25, 2009).]

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited August 26, 2009).]

alliedfive
Member # 7811

- posted      Profile for alliedfive   Email alliedfive         Edit/Delete Post 
Is there a reason it has to start with the flashback? It's a little disorienting. You can always throw in something about the witch and the blue flame at the beginning if you want to get to the fantasy element. I personally would like to see Cory in his element before the whole sea raider episode.

[This message has been edited by alliedfive (edited August 26, 2009).]

Posts: 323 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
I think A5 is on the right track. Why not mention the blue flame burning in the background? I believe it was there, just not referred to until later in the piece.
Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

More like -

The Duke’s soldiers had spent the morning forcing men from their homes. They armed them with pitchforks and oak staffs then lined them up two deep on the beach. The blacksmith’s son and his friends pretended they weren’t as scared as the rest of the village men, as if fighting sea raiders were no more trouble than beating Cory senseless after a few mugs of ale. Even though those bullies weren’t looking his way, Cory expected another beating and chewed nervously on his hand, the one holding the scythe.

“Easy, lad,” whispered farmer Rod. In his slow, dimwitted way Cory had always trusted Rod. “All we have to do is slow the sea bastards down. Give the Duke’s men a fair chance at ‘em.”

“Duke’s men gots steel weapons,” Cory said. “Whyn’t they fight and leave us be?”

But is this as compelling as Cory wandering the beach after the battle?

[This message has been edited by arriki (edited August 26, 2009).]

alliedfive
Member # 7811

This is better.

But, I was thinking you could start the story even earlier. For example, Cory is tending his sheep (lovingly, giving us a reason to like him despite his slowness), he notices the magical blue flame (fantasy tip-off), then the bullies show up and bully him (show us his slowness, his cowardice!), then end your opening with the sea raider ship being sighted. Then we have the fantasy element, we pity and like Cory, we wonder about the magic flame, and we have the hook of the dangerous sea raider ship. I would avoid flashing back at all. Starting stories with "They HAD been doing this and they HAD been doing that" always strikes me as a late start.

I didn't think the beach wandering was all that compelling in the first place.

[This message has been edited by alliedfive (edited August 26, 2009).]

arriki
Member # 3079

I had trouble putting pieces back together. If anything seems weird - that shouldn't - tell me.

I'm emailing to troy and monstewer. Teraen, you don't have an email address. Email yours to me at mine if you're still interested and I'll send a copy on.

alliedfive -- all the writing instruction I've had has warned to open the scene or story as close to where something critical happens. Cory tending his sheep doesn't sound like that. Takes too long to get to the real story.

[This message has been edited by arriki (edited August 26, 2009).]

alliedfive
Member # 7811

I think it's a good idea to start close to the action, but you are starting this AFTER the action. Just my opinion.
arriki
Member # 3079

I've been following the discussion of villains over in another set of topics here.

I think that Cory is the villain of this piece. Maybe it's hard to discern that because there are so many not nice people around him -- the Duke, Lord Ban, Frieda, her lover, even the White Witch is plotting mean and nasty things.

arriki
Member # 3079

I wrote this explanation to Writer Dan explaining why I had to write this story the way I did.

Other people have also had similar comments so here it is:

Yes, this is a very dark fantasy. Not my usual fare at all.
For some reason it haunted me and I had to write it. Making Cory a hero was never possible.

I guess for me he is a tad sympathetic because to me being trapped in his retarded mind would be far more horrifying than taking my chances with the demon. Personal bias. And there is still the chance of redemption for him sometime in the future. Even when retarded he was having mean/evil thoughts, only unable to act on them. Now he's free to grow and maybe work out his salvation. He at least can now make the choice.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.