Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Whispers In The Wind

Author Topic: Whispers In The Wind
monstewer
Member # 5883

- posted      Profile for monstewer   Email monstewer         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, this one is a dark fantasy/horror thing and looking for comments on the 13 or offers to read the whole 3k. Cheers.

Lisa waited until the chimes of Big Ben had finally ended before she started moving again. Strange, coming to London she had thought it would be the silence which frightened her the most, and yet it was the sudden explosions of noise which sent a fearful thrill skittering down her spine.

Everybody dead and even now London was never still. It was the amount of animals which surprised her the most; everywhere she looked there was some mangy stray dog or creeping cat. Once she even saw a deer bounding out of Kings Cross station. Only six months since the end. What would it be like in six years? Sixty years? She decided to grab what she needed and hurry on back home.

Six months without ever seeing another living person, and still

Posts: 373 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick T
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for Nick T   Email Nick T         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Monstewer,

Send it through. Nice hook with an understated atmosphere. A little bit the latest version of "I am legend" but effective nevertheless. Minor nits below:

quote:
Lisa waited until the chimes of Big Ben had finally (can probably cut this) ended before she started moving again. Strange. Coming to London she had thought it would be the silence which frightened her the most, and yet it was the sudden explosions of noise which sent a fearful thrill skittering(is skittering the right word?)down her spine.

Everybody dead and even now (not sure the "and even now" works as it suggests that movement is the logical consequence of everybody being dead, rather than the counterintuitive scene you describe.I'd suggest but...) London was never still. It was the amount of (you can probably cut this) animals which surprised her the most; everywhere she looked there was some mangy stray dog or creeping cat. Once she even saw a deer bounding out of Kings Cross station. Only six months since the end. What would it be like in six years? Sixty years? She decided to grab what she needed and hurry on back home.

[This message has been edited by Nick T (edited September 18, 2009).]

Posts: 712 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
I would have to agree that this had a serious "I am Legend" feel.I also wasn't terribly impacted by this intro. It seemed to distant to conjur my interest. Big Ben was the closest thing to a solid emotional connection, but I don't think it was developed fully.

Why did she stop whilst the bell rang? Was she panicked? Excited? Nostalgic?

Basically I didn't get a sence of the MC's emotions, personality. I didn't feel a connection.

Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
monstewer
Member # 5883

- posted      Profile for monstewer   Email monstewer         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the comments! I know the theme is hardly original, but this was written for a specific anthology with a set theme so I'm mainly looking for comments on the writing rather than the "last survivor" being a cliche.

Thanks for the comments so far--been really helpful

[This message has been edited by monstewer (edited September 18, 2009).]

Posts: 373 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
It does make me curious if she is truly the last person. If she is, why bother hurrying home? Why not keep moving, looking for someone else? Maybe she's already done this. These are just the questions that came to mind while I was reading it.

It has me curious and I would be happy to read for you.

Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tiergan
Member # 7852

- posted      Profile for Tiergan   Email Tiergan         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Monstewer, Be happy to read the whole thing, send it my way if you want.

As far as this 13, The first 2 setences sets this piece well. One small nit in the first, I would suggest losing the, had finally, and just go with "Big Ben ended."

My only other concern is the second paragraph reads like a summary. Whether its a big thing or not depends upon the flow of the rest of the story.

As far as the "cliche" or not, it doesnt matter to me, if the writing stands, then it will carry the piece.

Again, send it my way if you want.

Posts: 1168 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LlessurNire
Member # 8781

- posted      Profile for LlessurNire   Email LlessurNire         Edit/Delete Post 
first paragraph = A+

That grabbed my attention. I am left wondering, why would the sudden noise be the most frightening? Maybe follow up with one more sentence, recounting something scary happening the last time there was noise. Or the noise makes Lisa recall the event that killed everybody, that brought about the end. Is it this that shes afraid of happening again? I'm just guessing here...

then I would suggest a little less description, maybe more of Lisa's thoughts, spoken out loud to herself. Implying that since there are no other people to speak to she speaks to herself...

Pretty good though, I'm definitely a little hooked. I really liked the movie I am Legend, so it brought on good memories

Posts: 85 | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
C L Lynn
Member # 8007

- posted      Profile for C L Lynn   Email C L Lynn         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, go ahead and send it to me, too. I might have the chance to finish a crit before I leave on the cruise. Since you've got other invitations, I don't feel quite so guilty asking for it.
Posts: 226 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.