Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Swallowed the Moon - Fantasy - 9800 words

Author Topic: Swallowed the Moon - Fantasy - 9800 words
BoredCrow
Member # 5675

- posted      Profile for BoredCrow   Email BoredCrow         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all,
Looking for critique on the first thirteen, and anyone interested in reading the whole thing. For those that are, I'll happily exchange critiques (maybe two short stories for the whole novelette?)

How do the new first two sentences sound? I'm worried they're a bit clunky.

(Newer version)
Respectable businesswomen generally didn't climb trees, but Kait couldn't think of a better way to sneak into the Mage-Kings private gardens. And since she intended to steal back the moon, she did it far from any street lamps, with only stars to light her way. She spat a leaf out of her mouth and reached for the next branch, her shoes slipping on smooth bark. Anti-shielding spells clinked together on a cheap bracelet, and lock picks she didn't really know how to use dangled half out of her pocket.
She was no thief trained to slip through shadows, only a foolish woman willing to throw away her freedom for the sake of a power she had no right to touch. But as soon as she'd joined the crowds to witness the moon's silent beauty displayed behind

(OLder version):
In order to steal back the moon, Kait first had to climb a tree over the wall into the mage-king's private garden. With only stars to light her way, she spat a leaf out of her mouth and reached for the next branch, her shoes slipping on smooth bark. Anti-shielding spells clinked together on a cheap bracelet, and lock picks she didn't really know how to use dangled half out of her pocket. Her limbs ached; respectable businesswoman generally didn't climb trees.
She was no thief trained to slip through shadows, only a foolish woman willing to throw away her freedom for the sake of a power she had no right to touch. But as soon as she'd joined the crowds to witness the moon's silent beauty displayed behind gilded bars, she had for the first time in her life resolved to

[This message has been edited by BoredCrow (edited October 09, 2009).]

Posts: 554 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alliedfive
Member # 7811

- posted      Profile for alliedfive   Email alliedfive         Edit/Delete Post 
I dig it. No nits really. I would read on. Send it on (but it might take me awhile).

[This message has been edited by alliedfive (edited October 01, 2009).]

Posts: 323 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
I like it too, but I do have a few nits.

Not sure, but you might need to capitalize Mage King.

I'd drop the comma between "her way, she spat". It makes the sentence jerky.

The dangling lock picks bother me. Might be my own thing but I really want her to push them back in her pocket.

Instead of "generally", consider "weren't supposed to climb trees".

And maybe, "She wasn't a thief..." instead of "she was no thief".

These are just nits though. I'll give a read if you like. It sounds very interesting.

Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
monstewer
Member # 5883

- posted      Profile for monstewer   Email monstewer         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll have a read if you like.
Posts: 373 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoredCrow
Member # 5675

Genevieve - she doesn't push the lock picks back into her pocket because she's afraid of falling out of the tree. I can clarify that, if people think it's necessary. More i had the image of keys dangling out of a pocket. You know they're not going to fall, so you don't push them back in.

I really appreciate all the advice; I'll make those changes. And alliedfive - would you be more available to crit in a week or so? That way, I could get you a later version with fewer typos.

[This message has been edited by BoredCrow (edited October 02, 2009).]

Posts: 554 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alliedfive
Member # 7811

- posted      Profile for alliedfive   Email alliedfive         Edit/Delete Post 
Next week sounds good, or whenever you have a copy you'd like me to crit.
Posts: 323 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll read it when you're ready.
Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dee_boncci
Member # 2733

- posted      Profile for dee_boncci   Email dee_boncci         Edit/Delete Post 
A humble thought for your consideration...

What about starting it at "Respectable businesswomen generally don't climb trees..."

It's a provocative statement, and appears to be pointing to the crux of what she's up to. Then describe the intent to gain illicit entry onto the mage's property and most importantly why she is doing it and you'll have dropped the reader firmly into the story coincident with her getting over the wall.

Posts: 612 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
BoredCrow, I'll give it a read. I've got a long 'un coming up and would appreciate some eyes on it.
Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andersonmcdonald
Member # 8641

- posted      Profile for andersonmcdonald   Email andersonmcdonald         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with dee_boncci
Posts: 456 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoredCrow
Member # 5675

Bump for revised first 13.
Corky
Member # 2714

- posted      Profile for Corky   Email Corky         Edit/Delete Post 
Did you mean "Respectable businesswomen generally don't climb trees" or "A respectable businesswoman generally doesn't climb trees" (plural or singular)?
Posts: 603 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoredCrow
Member # 5675

Oops, it was supposed to be plural. My bad. ::fixes::
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

- posted      Profile for JenniferHicks   Email JenniferHicks         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the revised version. It has a good hook and it's written in such a way that I can really visualize the woman climbing the tree.

I'm a little confused, though, over one thing. She's trying to "steal back" the moon, which implies she already had it at some point in time. Then she thinks about throwing away her freedom for "a power she had no right to touch," which implies the opposite.

Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick T
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for Nick T   Email Nick T         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Bored Crow,

Not sure if I made it clear in my thread "Boaters", but I'll look at this one.

Nick

Posts: 712 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoredCrow
Member # 5675

Jennifer: Yeah, I'd worried about that too. I suppose I meant that she was stealing the moon to put it back in the sky; stealing it back from the king who had stolen it first. But I also see how that could be confusing.

Nick: Yeah, I did see it. The earlier reviewers inspired several large revisions; I just wanted to finish those before I send it out again. Sorry for the delay! (I'll try to get those done tonight)

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.