Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Negative Image (6800 words, SF-ish).

Author Topic: Negative Image (6800 words, SF-ish).
bluephoenix
Member # 7397

- posted      Profile for bluephoenix   Email bluephoenix         Edit/Delete Post 
This is my first ever completed story. Ever. I've never written an SF piece before - I write fantasy - so I'm not sure how it's turned out, but I'm just so happy to have finished something at last!

Comments on the first 13 welcome, and I'd like some readers for the whole thing if anyone's interested. It is nearly 7k words, so if you get part way through and think 'this is really pants', I'll understand .

Revision 1:
Carrie hated doing portrait work. Nobody ever liked the results, and the finger of blame always ended up pointing firmly in her direction: unwavering, like she’d personally added every blemish and imperfection. She just pointed the camera. Still, she had to admit, it was a little unnerving to know that a machine could see right down to a person’s soul.
She squinted through the viewfinder again, watching her client perch awkwardly on his chair.
"Like this?" he said. "It don’t feel right, posing. Them things don’t like posers."
They don’t like anything much, she thought. "Just sit up straight please, Mr. Trent - it’s best to keep things simple with Candid Exposure."

^ Any better? I thought I'd take KatTi's advice and try putting the main concept in the first 13. It was a few lines further down, before, sitting behind some technical mumbo-jumbo (camera shutters, treated lenses, etc). It's quite a farfetched concept, so I wasn't sure if it'd be too much to accept, on its own like this.

[Original:
I hate doing portrait work, thought Carrie. It’s always somehow my fault, all the imperfections this thing picks up. It’s not like I make the damn pictures; I just point the camera. Hardly my fault if people don’t like what they see.
She squinted through the viewfinder again, watching her client perch awkwardly on his chair.
‘Like this?’ He said. ‘It don’t feel right, posing. Them things don’t like posers.’
They don’t like anything much, she thought. ‘Just sit up straight please, Mr. Trent - it’s best to keep things simple with Candid Exposure.’
‘Damn C.E. cameras,’ he muttered. She almost agreed with him.
‘Looking this way please,’ said Carrie, ‘and smile.’ Click.]

Thanks for reading .

Daniel.

[This message has been edited by bluephoenix (edited October 12, 2009).]

Posts: 153 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
Sure send it over. Can't promise how fast I'll be...

Regarding your first 13, I don't like the first person thoughts. I think they work better in third,e.g:

Carrie hated doing portrait work. Somehow it was always her fault, all the imperfections the camera picked up. It wasn't like she made the damn pictures; she just pointed the camera. If people didn’t like what they saw, well, tough.

‘Like this?’ He said.

-"Like this?" he said.

You don't capitalise the 'he' as it is part of the same sentence as the quote.

Unless you are writing to some other format. I would suggest using standard manuscript format. Use " instead of ' and if you was an em dash then you do it so--blah, blah--and finish. No gaps and it s a double dash as opposed to post-human, forex. It may end up like you have done it once in print, but standard formating is the rule prior to a sale. its a b***ch to change later.

‘It don’t feel right, posing. Them things don’t like posers.’
They don’t like anything much, she thought. ‘Just sit up straight please, Mr. Trent - it’s best to keep things simple with Candid Exposure.’

‘Damn C.E. cameras,’ he muttered. She almost agreed with him.
‘Looking this way please,’ said Carrie, ‘and smile.’ Click.

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
Skadder makes some great points. My main addition is that you should choose a POV and stick with it - as you go between first person POV and third, at least how it's punctuated right now.

The first few lines are first person (carrie's thoughts.) If you punctuate those as thoughts (standard manuscript formatting would have you underline those things that are personal thoughts, which would indicate to the editor that you intend for that passage to be in italics when printed. If there is a lot of "thought to herself" going on in the story, it might be better to dispense with the underlined/italics and either use quotations to set off her personal thoughts, or bury the thoughts into the overall narration so that they just flow.

Example:
Carrie squinted through the viewfinder. I hate doing portrait work, she thought to herself. Always my fault, somehow, all the imperfections. I don't make the pictures! I just point the camera.

or

Carrie squinted through the viewfinder. "I hate doing portrait work, she thought to herself. Always my fault, somehow, all the imperfections. I don't make the pictures! I just point the camera."

Throughout the rest of the piece I think you're settling into third person POV on Carrie, which is a perfectly fine POV (pretty standard in fiction today) - but if you're doing 3rd, just be watchful for those voiced-inner-thoughts passages, to be sure you're not switching into and out of first person.

Does that make sense?

The only other feedback is that you want to be sure that within the next few lines you're going to tell us just what's so funky about Candid Exposure. I have an inkling this isn't just a standard photo shoot, and as a speculative fiction reader, I am hoping for a fun payoff pretty soon here. I'm pretty sure that's where you're heading, but wanted to mention it in case you weren't aware of the strong bias spec fic readers have to want to see what's speculative about your piece right up front.

Good luck with this!

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick T
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for Nick T   Email Nick T         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Bluephoenix,

Seems like you may have a good concept to work with here, but I’d agree with both Skadder and Kayti. The opening so strongly suggests 1st person POV that the “thought Carrie” is jarring (since her thoughts would usually form a direct part of the narrative) and then we’re in 3rd person.

I’m not sure that I brought Carrie’s thought process either. It seems more like the thought equivalent of “as you know Bob”…I don’t disagree with the general content of the thoughts, but the way they are expressed doesn’t convince me they’re the thoughts of a real character. Others may differ on the opening paragraph, but it just didn’t seem natural to me.

Anyway, send it through.

Nick

Posts: 712 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bluephoenix
Member # 7397

- posted      Profile for bluephoenix   Email bluephoenix         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey everyone, thanks to Skadder, KayTi and Nick for your comments .

Apologies first off for the iffy punctuation - I think I've just gotten into bad habits with that.

Re. the POV issues, I didn't realise it was so jarring to read. The biggest chunks of it are here in the opening, but I've got little asides and thoughts littered throughout this thing. By the sound of it, the way I've done them is gonna put people right off.

So, I'm gonna try to fix this opening today, and if it's better, I'll blast through the whole thing and fix it accordingly before I send it out (thanks again to Skadder and Nick T for offers to read) .

Daniel.

Posts: 153 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bluephoenix
Member # 7397

Revision 1 up. Any preferences?
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
The revision is much smoother. I was going to comment on the original but you posted the revision before I got a chance. Nice improvements.

My only nit is "They don't like anything much." It seems that it should be "anyone", not 'anything', unless the camera shows the same imperfections of inanimate objects. But that is a very small nit.

I'll be happy to read for you as well. This sounds interesting.

Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bluephoenix
Member # 7397

Great stuff, thanks for taking a look, genevive42 .

Now Sending to genevive42, skadder, and Nick T. Anyone else who's interested, just give me a shout .

mdybyu
Member # 7909

- posted      Profile for mdybyu   Email mdybyu         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked that I could immediately tell a little bit of the narrator's character even in this little snippet. I question your use of the colon in the fisrt line, perhaps a "--" would be better. I am definately curious what the Sci Fi concept is in this story.
Posts: 12 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

- posted      Profile for extrinsic   Email extrinsic         Edit/Delete Post 
There's strong hints that all is not right with Candid Exposure's camera. Perhaps the camera sees what the naked eye can't. More than imperfections, maybe like the way ultraviolet photography reveals dermal sun damage, the camera records fantastical features of portrait subjects. Title: Negative Image, implies a negative reputation as well as image inversion. And the camera sees.
Posts: 6037 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoredCrow
Member # 5675

- posted      Profile for BoredCrow   Email BoredCrow         Edit/Delete Post 
I much prefer the revision. Quite a good hook.
Alas, I don't have much time for reviewing right now.

Posts: 554 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bluephoenix
Member # 7397

Thanks to everyone who commented here, and to the people who offered to read the whole thing. Everyone's input was really helpful; it looks like I've got a way to go yet with this, but it's good to know it's not a lost cause .
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

- posted      Profile for JenniferHicks   Email JenniferHicks         Edit/Delete Post 
The revision reads better, but I think you could trim some wordiness. "Always ended up pointing firmly in her direction" could be "always pointed at her." In the fourth sentence, I'd cut "a little" and "right down." You also use "pointing/pointed" twice ... don't know if that was on purpose.

Overall, I like the concept. Maybe the Amish were right about photography.

Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.