Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Ripples, 970 words, alt. history

Author Topic: Ripples, 970 words, alt. history
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

- posted      Profile for JenniferHicks   Email JenniferHicks         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, I haven't posted here in awhile. This flash fiction was intended for submission to a specific mag that is, as of this morning, closed to submissions. *sigh* Anyway, I now have plenty of time for revising. I'm also looking for a couple kind-hearted volunteers to critique the whole piece. Thanks.

#

Mark Antony galloped past the ranks of the crucified who lined the road from Capua to Rome. Most were dead. The rest would be soon. Red stained their wrists and ankles. Red streaked the crude gibbets, little more than split tree trunks, to which they were nailed. Red had dried to black on blades of grass and the stone-paved road.

Five thousand in all.

Was he among them? Antony forced himself to look at their faces, half in fear, half in hope. Both were in vain.

The sun dipped behind the rolling hills as he stopped at a creek to water his horse. He had been recalled to Rome but would not reach the city this night. The breeze was cool under his tunic, and birds chirped their evening concert from what few

Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
halogen
Member # 6494

- posted      Profile for halogen   Email halogen         Edit/Delete Post 
What about reworking the paragraph order? Here's an example:

quote:

Was he among them? Antony forced himself to look at their faces, half in fear, half in hope. Both were in vain.

Five thousand in all.

The sun dipped behind the rolling hills as he stopped at a creek to water his horse. He had been recalled to Rome but would not reach the city this night. The breeze was cool under his tunic, and birds chirped their evening concert from what few

Mark Antony galloped past the ranks of the crucified who lined the road from Capua to Rome. Most were dead. The rest would be soon. Red stained their wrists and ankles. Red streaked the crude gibbets, little more than split tree trunks, to which they were nailed. Red had dried to black on blades of grass and the stone-paved road.

Posts: 207 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoredCrow
Member # 5675

- posted      Profile for BoredCrow   Email BoredCrow         Edit/Delete Post 
I would take out the lines "Most were dead. The rest would be soon."
-You already kind of know those to be true from the fact that they're crucified
-It's not as compelling as what comes next.

I'd also identify the 'he'. Even if you don't want to give a name, it might add a sense of urgency. Also, I thought at first that Mark Antony was looking for his own face among the dying.

Hope that helps.

Posts: 554 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick T
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for Nick T   Email Nick T         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

The "he" threw me out of the narrative as I assumed Mark Antony was looking for himself. Without naming the character Mark's looking for, it can also come across as witholding (Mark know who he's looking for).

I'm not sure I agree with re-ordering the paragraphs (I liked the place setting and the protagonist naming in the first line; I know exactly what is happening and why).

In terms of trims, I agree with Bored Crow and I'd go further in that the repeated description of "red" isn't as compelling (for me) as getting some idea of his emotional state in searching for this person. What intrigued me was the half fear and half-hope.

Interesting start; I'll take a look at the whole thing. Will I need a good historical knowledge to appreciate it?

Nick

Posts: 712 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NoTimeToThink
Member # 5174

- posted      Profile for NoTimeToThink   Email NoTimeToThink         Edit/Delete Post 
I disagree with Bored Cow about the "Most were dead..." - I assume the possibility that "he" is alive is important. Maybe it would be more concise to say "Most were already dead", and still get the point across.

I don't really need to know who "he" is yet - it's enough of a hook that Mark Antony is looking for someone.

Send me the whole piece if you'd like; I'd be happy to look it over.

Posts: 406 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
From the structure of the sentences, I certainly assumed that Marc Anthony was indeed, the "he" in question, and that idea was what hooked me. If that isn't the case then I strongly suggest you reword and give us an indication of who the "he" is.

I'm happy to read if you want to send it along.

[This message has been edited by tchernabyelo (edited October 18, 2009).]

Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

- posted      Profile for JenniferHicks   Email JenniferHicks         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for all the helpful comments. I've done some tweaking to (I hope) clear some things up, and I'll send the story to those who volunteered to give it a read. You don't need to be a historian to understand the story. It's pretty basic stuff.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ScardeyDog
Member # 8707

- posted      Profile for ScardeyDog   Email ScardeyDog         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to read it too if you're still looking for people.
Posts: 238 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.