Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Evidence

Author Topic: Evidence
Teraen
Member # 8612

- posted      Profile for Teraen   Email Teraen         Edit/Delete Post 
So I'm all psyched up to start a short story now, here is one I dug up out of an old crypt in my basement (behind the false bookshelf) and polished up.

Edmond Stetham, Ph. D, was the only one who could make sense of the data on the screen. He knew what it meant, but he simply couldn't believe it. This was the third time he had rebooted EXOTAP with a command to ignore the anomaly. Three times, and the error hadn't recurred. His mind continued to race through the other possible explanations, even though he had already eliminated them.

He exhaled and ordered the system to reboot. Like many military applications, EXtra Orbital Tracking And Projection was generally referred to by an acronym. Stetham had designed the system over five years ago. He had just been awarded his first Anithus award "for his brilliant experimental demonstration of the transition to turbulence and chaos in dynamic systems."

Edit to add Version 2:

Edmond Stetham stared at the screen in disbelief. He knew what it meant, but he simply couldn't believe it. This was the third time he had rebooted EXOTAP with a command to ignore the anomaly. Three times, and the error hadn't recurred. His mind continued to race through the other possible explanations, even though he had already eliminated them. But the verdict from the data in front of him was irrefutable: this object was not from within the solar system.

And it had just changed course.

[This message has been edited by Teraen (edited October 26, 2009).]

Posts: 496 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

- posted      Profile for arriki   Email arriki         Edit/Delete Post 

You wrote - This was the third time he had rebooted EXOTAP with a command to ignore the anomaly. Three times, and the error hadn't recurred. His mind continued to race through the other possible explanations,

Huh? Maybe I’m being really stupid but he rebooted and it
DIDN’T recur. Three times. Don’t you mean it DID recur? Otherwise, what’s he bothered about?

Now a problem has surfaced. I’m fine with that. But then you throw in a lot of techno babble that is not story and doesn’t even explain anything storywise.

Edmond Stetham, Ph. D, was the only one who could make sense of the data on the screen. He knew what it meant, but he simply couldn't believe it. This was the third time he had rebooted EXOTAP with a command to ignore the anomaly. Three times. It was still there.

To my mind, this is all story. Everything else you have, isn’t.
Well, just my opinion.

Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teraen
Member # 8612

Arriki, the most powerful and wise wrote:

"Huh? Maybe I’m being really stupid but he rebooted and it
DIDN’T recur. Three times. Don’t you mean it DID recur? Otherwise, what’s he bothered about?

Now a problem has surfaced. I’m fine with that. But then you throw in a lot of techno babble that is not story and doesn’t even explain anything storywise."

So, let me make sure I get this straight. Did the confusion about whether the error did or didn't recur, was THAT the technobabble that you didn't like? Or are you saying that my description of the error was the technobabble?

Because in this story, the error only occurs when the system works as planned. Its about a first contact with an alien civilization, so I spend some time discussing the techno of how they figure it out. If that isn't story, I'm a little worried now. I know I have a story in there, but I don't want it to be drowned out by technobabble, which is what you seem to say.

This is my FIRST sci fi story, so I am completely new to genre (I'm new to writing, too. But that's another topic...) I like the science aspects, it is intriguing to me when a story pulls it off well. I am no Tom Clancy, so I may fail horribly at this if I try to include technical details.

But the main thrust is what happens to this character, and how discovering this affects him, so I am hoping there is enough connection to keep it going.

... anyways, that's enough to cram in the first 13, I think...

Posts: 496 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
What about: Edmond Stetham stared at the data on the screen in disbelief. He had checked the system three times to make sure the program was running properly but the facts were irrefutable. EXOTAP had discovered the existence of a race of tiny, purple human beings at the center of the Earth. (Just kidding.)

I throw this out here to show how you might be able to cover the same thing without the techno-babble. You can bring in the PhD later and his award. For now, cover him and his discovery and his reaction to it.

Just a suggestion.

Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NoTimeToThink
Member # 5174

- posted      Profile for NoTimeToThink   Email NoTimeToThink         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with both posters above.
Assuming that Edmond is not going to realize that there's nothing there and just fall back asleep, there will be news reports, or press conferences where you can mention the info you threw in the 2nd paragraph.
By this point, I would like to know what he may have spotted, because I don't know if we're talking alien encounter, disasterous asteroid approaching, solar system colapse, magnetic field shift, or whatever. It feels like you are deliberately trying not to tell us what he sees, and this sense of withholding will make me stop reading very soon.

Posts: 406 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

- posted      Profile for arriki   Email arriki         Edit/Delete Post 
When I said "Now a problem has surfaced --" I meant a problem in the story. Something to worry about with/for the POV. NOT that I've found a problem with your writing.
Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teraen
Member # 8612

I am actually writing this story based on the outlining idea I read a few weeks ago posted here:

http://www.hatrack.com/forums/writers/forum/Forum1/HTML/005766.html

Part of what I want to show here is that this man is quite intelligent, and I wanted to dissect through a problem he grapples with to show that. What he has discovered here is evidence of aliens from what someone else might dismiss as an error in a computer system.

To avoid the sense of withholding, what about something like notimetothink offered:

Edmond Stetham stared at the screen in disbelief. He knew what it meant, but he simply couldn't believe it. This was the third time he had rebooted EXOTAP with a command to ignore the anomaly. Three times, and the error hadn't recurred. His mind continued to race through the other possible explanations, even though he had already eliminated them. But the verdict from the data in front of him was irrefutable: this object was not from within the solar system.

NoTimeToThink
Member # 5174

- posted      Profile for NoTimeToThink   Email NoTimeToThink         Edit/Delete Post 
Better - it does take care of the withholding problem for me.
Posts: 406 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoredCrow
Member # 5675

- posted      Profile for BoredCrow   Email BoredCrow         Edit/Delete Post 
I also think this is better, though I'm confused as to what you mean by "The error hadn't recurred." isn't the possible 'error' recurring because it's telling him the object isn't from our solar system?

The last line is a great hook.

Oh, and a nit: I personally dislike lines like, "his mind went through the possibilities, even though he had already rejected them." To me, that seems like unnecessary telling. Kind of like an 'as you know' line. I'm not describing it well, but I guess another way to say it is that the action feels like it's put in for the reader's benefit, not a natural action of the character. Anyway, you could just say something like, "he had already eliminiated all other possible explanations."

Hope some of that helps.

Posts: 554 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
By way of feedback, since you indicated you're new to writing and new to sci-fi, the first paragraph of your first attempt works pretty well. The second feels like an info-dump. You're giving us, the readers, information we'll need to understand the story, but it takes us out of the moment, out of the action. It's an "as you may/may not know..." kind of thing (also known as "as you know, bobs" in the fiction world, LOL.)

However, there's some fun world-building bits in there with the Anithus award, etc.

The trick is to build those bits into the storytelling in a way that feels more natural.

For instance, some stories would have another character come in and mention it (wouldn't work with this, would seem really silly for a colleague to come in and do a, "Wow, Edmond, I knew you had one the Anithus award for brilliant experiemental demonstration of the transition to turbulence and chaos in dynamic systems, but I didn't realize the trophy would be so big!")

Others use external devices like letters or newspaper articles to convey this kind of information (this is done a lot in the later Harry Potter novels, it's one way the author found around the problem of what to do to convey information to the POV character so that you can stay in tight third person limited POV.)

Still others realize that some of this information is backstory. It was necessary for you to figure out how to write what you wanted to write, but unnecessary for the actual storytelling (for the plot), and could be left out of the finished product.

It sounds like you're wavering on what you want to do with this story...like what you really want to do is show his thought process and how he solves this problem when others are missing it/oblivious. I'd hazard a guess that this will cause you to need to include elements of mystery storytelling - where the focus is often on HOW the sleuth figures out whodunnit, rather than the murder/event itself. There are a ton of mystery short fiction pubs, you might grab a couple short stories and see how they accomplish this, I imagine there will be great tips you can glean from them.

I hope this is helpful!

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teraen
Member # 8612

One of the short story anthologies I have been reading is the compilations for the writers of the future contest. This story is inspired by one I read about a guy who discovers a box, which everyone assumes is nothing, but is actually some alien probe which landed on earth. As a society gains intelligence, they can get further layers down this puzzle box, which then alerts the society about the technological advancement of the civilization wherein dwells the box... Anyways, my point is that the whole story is about this guy who stumbles across it in the woods and tries to solve the puzzles as it gets deeper and more complex. I thought it was a really cool story, but the plot itself (a dude tries to solve puzzles) would make it seem otherwise.

My attempt at "evidence" was to do something similar, delving into the thought process of the MC... Anyways, I didn't know it was coming across as an "as you know, bob..." I'll have to keep that in mind during revisionifying.

ScardeyDog
Member # 8707

- posted      Profile for ScardeyDog   Email ScardeyDog         Edit/Delete Post 
I like your second version. You should edit your first post so that they are both visible at the top.

The only other thing: if he is a Ph.D. the correct form of address is Dr. Edmund Forgotyourlastname. (Aside: Did you know the correct form of address for someone with a Masters degree is Master? I wonder why that one never caught on...)

Posts: 238 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
I was a little confused here.

Edmond Stetham stared at the screen in disbelief. He knew what it meant, but he simply couldn't believe it. This was the third time he had rebooted EXOTAP with a command to ignore the anomaly. Three times, and the error hadn't recurred so wait, this implies there had been an error once. What you mean is there was no error at all, right? That there's nothing wrong with his computer?. His mind continued to race through the other possible explanations, even though he had already eliminated them. But the verdict from the data in front of him was irrefutable awkward--maybe "The data in front before him was irrefutable": this object was not from within the solar system. is that such a big deal? I mean, we get comets and stuff from other solar systems all the time. Sure, it would be weird to just discover it now (usually you see these things coming). What comes later, of course, is the more interesting piece.

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.