Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » A Disturbance - (Thriller)(first 13)

Author Topic: A Disturbance - (Thriller)(first 13)
Red Grant
Member # 8852

- posted      Profile for Red Grant   Email Red Grant         Edit/Delete Post 
I could see flashing blue lights through cracks in the blinds. I refused to panic even though I could still hear blood tapping against the bathtub sides. Somewhere in the pit of my stomach I knew the lights were headed my way. I wasn't sure what tipped them off. Was it the arguing? That never happened before. There was a crash. The mirror in my bedroom shattered, but the sound couldn't have been that loud.

I massaged my temples. I needed a plan. It takes around 45 minutes for blood to stop draining out of a body. Twenty minutes had passed since stringing her up. I couldn't move her.

I'm actually stuck on this one. I figured getting input on what I have so far would somehow strike something in me and cause me to finish it...

[This message has been edited by Red Grant (edited October 29, 2009).]

[This message has been edited by Red Grant (edited October 29, 2009).]

Posts: 3 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick T
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for Nick T   Email Nick T         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Red Grant,

I often find that if I get stuck on a story, there's usually something wrong with it beyond simple writer's block. If I'm no longer enjoying writing it, chances are it won't work for the reader either.

Anyway, the following is my opinion (of course).

While I'm obviously restricted by only seeing your first 13, I'll hazard a guess; you may no longer either like, or be interested in, your protagonist.

From the looks of things, he may not be likeable. You can write a good story with a dislikeable protagonist, but they do have to be very interesting to overcome their dislikeability.

For me, a likeable or interesting protagonist is important in a thriller, because otherwise I'm not going to care if they're put in danger. What's implied in the 1st 13 is that he's killed a woman, they habitually have loud arguments and he feels no remorse about it. He's done it before and his only concern is his own skin. Obviously, there's plenty of room to reverse expectations after the 1st 13.

On the upside, this is a good starting point. There's natural curiosity about what has happened and the writing is clear (although the bit "there was a crash" is confusing for a moment).

For a first person POV (where you want protagonist intimacy), you could do without the distancing phrase "I could see..." instead of direct description. You also don't name the victim when your POV protagonist presumably knows who she is and would think of her by name. If it's a purposeful device to indicate his callousness, then it reinforces his dislikeable nature.

Anyway, I think it's a solid start, but it has its risks. There have been great crime stories with dislikeable protagonists, but they have always been interesting (which is hard to do). Good luck with it.

Regards,

Nick

Posts: 712 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
monstewer
Member # 5883

- posted      Profile for monstewer   Email monstewer         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting opening. I would read on. Just a couple of nits:

I could see flashing blue lights through cracks in the blinds. Fairly weak for a first sentence. This would be much more vivid if you showed us this rather than just tell us your protaganist sees it.

I refused to panic even though I could still hear blood tapping against the bathtub sides. Again, you're telling us what the protag can hear rather than really making the reader feel it. Also, I'm not sure I understand the second part of that sentence. Why would the sound of the blood make it more difficult to remain calm. He's killed somebody, strung them up over a bath, so would the dripping of blood make it so much more diffucult to remain calm after all that?

I wasn't sure what tipped them off. who does this "them" refer to? The cops? But then wouldn't it be a neighbour who tipped them off, rather than a mirror breaking?

That never happened before. What never happened before? Arguing? I'd like a little more scene setting here--develop this thought rather than mention the mirror, maybe.

Good luck with it!

Posts: 373 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wolfe_boy
Member # 5456

- posted      Profile for Wolfe_boy   Email Wolfe_boy         Edit/Delete Post 
Feedback has the effect of either spurring us on sometimes, or deflating us and killing unfinished stories. My personal boneyard is full of half-done stories that didn't pass muster at the first 13 critique stage. A few that did too, so maybe that says more about me than the stories. Anyways, your story.

1. Telling when showing is more appropriate, yadda yadda. monstewer got that mostly down.

2. "Was it the arguing? That never happened before. There was a crash. The mirror in my bedroom shattered, but the sound couldn't have been that loud." This line is a bit indefinite, a little bit loose in its meanings. It took me a couple slower read-throughs to fully parse what was going on here. Focus on the meanings of the words and phrases you're choosing.

3. Character-wise, I feel no sympathy for your protagonist. It is difficult you get involved in a story when you can not sympathize with the main character. This is perhaps a case of starting at the wrong point in the story - anywhere from 30 seconds to 15 minutes too late. I want to start to have an inkling as to why he killed this woman before I can start to appreciate the apprehension he's experiencing.

4. Too many uses of the word "I". Someone more technically versed than I could provide a sound grammatical explanation for what's being done here, but I'd prefer a different approach to the narration. Maybe get deeper into the character's POV, show some more action rather than tell it, and use your words to impart some of the tension your character is feeling.

I feel like such a hack giving advice/critiques, but there it is.

[This message has been edited by Wolfe_boy (edited October 29, 2009).]

Posts: 733 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
halogen
Member # 6494

- posted      Profile for halogen   Email halogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello hello

Here's my overall nit: it feels like you are trying to build up some serious suspense - and that's cool - but I'm not really feeling it. The short sentences feel choppy instead of thrilling.

There's also a LOT going on; dead lady in the tub, broken mirror (I still don't get what happened there), cops. Maybe it would be better to start about 20 minutes before this scene, just before all the crazy stuff happens. You could start the story out rather casually and build into the body in the bathroom instead of trying to push it in there in the first thirteen.

Writing a paragraph fast-action/suspense is not easy. I would suggest doing a bit of research, maybe check out some thriller books and see how they do a good build up.

Cheers!

Posts: 207 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
I try to avoid getting feedback on a germ of a story, actually. Usually it kills my creativity. Of course, this is different for everybody. If you are stuck, try writing down ten different ways the story could go. There's also help in the "writing class" section for brainstorming ideas or figuring out what to do once you have a concept or scene.

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
You could always try the two questions OSC recommends for story development (paraphrased, of course):

What does the main character try next?

What can go wrong when the main character tries that?

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gan
Member # 8405

- posted      Profile for Gan   Email Gan         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Monstewer. I would definitely read on if there was more. Feel free to send it to me if there is. In fact, I urge you to do so :P

Like Monstewer, I feel you could let us see through the characters eyes a little bit better. I also feel that the blood tapping making the character nervous is a bit odd.

One thing I disagree with, as far as the others go, is the unlikeable protagonist thing. Perhaps this is just because I've read your writing before, and understand the types of characters you tend to write about. I'm not worried about it, because you pulled the good-but-bad protagonist off very well in your last story.

All-in-all, an interesting start that could definitely be expanded into a great story.

Don't be discouraged by the criticism, even the best writers get it.

Posts: 260 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.