Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Emissary

Author Topic: Emissary
Teraen
Member # 8612

- posted      Profile for Teraen   Email Teraen         Edit/Delete Post 
The best part of being leader of the free world was 12:14 am. That's when President McKnight was finally able to go to bed. Nothing made the blissful oblivion of sleep more welcome than a heavy weight on one's shoulders. On uneventful days like today, this job still afforded more than enough to make his bed a welcome sight.

He sighed and thumbed through the itinerary for tomorrow, awake at 0545 and therafter every 30 seconds was intricately planned for the rest of the day until 0005 then next morning. Meetings. A press conference. A speech. A helicopter ride over the flood ravaged midwest where he was supposed to frown out the window before declaring it a disaster, as if seeing it helps. He already declared it a disaster 24 minutes ago and the order was already going into effect under the radar.

This is a one-scene flash fiction story. Approximately 1,300 words. I'd appreciate any willing readers! Thanks!

[This message has been edited by Teraen (edited November 02, 2009).]

Posts: 496 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

- posted      Profile for Dark Warrior   Email Dark Warrior         Edit/Delete Post 
I will give it a read if you want to shoot it to me.

Interested in reading more.

Is there a reason for the shift from 12 hr time (12:14 a.m.) to military 24 hr time (0005)?

The double "already" in the last sentence pulled made me think too much about the sentence structure instead of just continuing in the flow of the story.

[This message has been edited by Dark Warrior (edited November 02, 2009).]

[This message has been edited by Dark Warrior (edited November 02, 2009).]

Posts: 710 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teraen
Member # 8612

- posted      Profile for Teraen   Email Teraen         Edit/Delete Post 
Dark one,
I shot you a copy. Let me know what you think! Any feedback is appreciated.

Posts: 496 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BenM
Member # 8329

- posted      Profile for BenM   Email BenM         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll also have a read if you like.

Regarding the first 13, I have much the same observations as Dark Warrior: The 12:14 vs the later time (how about fourteen minutes past midnight?) and the double-already drawing attention to itself.

I'm also not sure how thumbing through the itinerary is meant to be visualised; is he in bed, going to bed, intending to go to bed?

Posts: 921 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.