Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Rescue Mission

Author Topic: Rescue Mission
arriki
Member # 3079

- posted      Profile for arriki   Email arriki         Edit/Delete Post 
Looking for insights and critiques for the opening and the entire story.
Can't get underline to work so using italics.

Disease.
You could tell it was an alien word. It had that shrill hiss at its end.
Rumor whispered that cold slowed the spread of Disease. Exactly how it spread was unknown. That Disease killed, was a fact.
It had come inside the Ennismahi deme's fanatically guarded borders. Now it had struck in the most remote of Military's bases.
"Have we seen enough?" one of the healers asked.
Had they?
Rocise looked down. Her friend, Deit, Rescue Team Three's kommes expert, lay shivering and naked on the makeshift table. White skin, white hair -- eyes white with fear. On Deit's

another try -- is this better?

Disease. You could tell from that shrill hiss at its end. It was an alien word.
Rumor whispered that cold slowed the spread of Disease. Exactly how it spread was unknown. That Disease killed, was a fact.
Had they?
Rocise looked down. Her friend, Deit, Rescue Team Three's kommes expert, lay shivering and naked on the makeshift table. White skin, white hair -- eyes white with fear. On Deit's left arm, raw strips bled where the healers had scraped off skin samples looking for worms. The lead healer stopped short of tasting Deit's saliva to check the health of her internal organs. “I think," he told his team, "we can rule out organ

[This message has been edited by arriki (edited November 11, 2009).]

Attempt #3

Disease. It was an alien word. An alien concept. A terrifying and alien way to die.

Disease. Rumor whispered that cold slowed its spread. How it spread, was unknown. That it killed was a fact. It had come inside the Ennismahi deme's fanatically guarded borders. Now it had struck in the most remote of Military's bases.

Had they?

Rocise looked down. Her friend, Deit, Rescue Team Three's kommes expert, lay shivering and naked on the makeshift table. White skin, white hair -- eyes white with fear. On Deit's left arm, raw strips bled where the healers had scraped off skin samples looking for worms. The lead healer stopped short of

[This message has been edited by arriki (edited November 13, 2009).]

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited November 15, 2009).]

Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NoTimeToThink
Member # 5174

- posted      Profile for NoTimeToThink   Email NoTimeToThink         Edit/Delete Post 
I like that we are dealing with an alien (to us) culture as the POV. It seems a bit remote though - so far I'm not feeling anything from Rocise. Her friend is suffering in front of her, but I'm not getting any concern for Deit. The description of Disease is coming off as clinical and informative, not disturbing.

Also, I know you're trying to make the point that disease is alien to these creatures, but I'm not sure that labelling the "shrill hiss" at the end of "Disease" as what makes it an "alien" word works. Throughout your first 13 you have many hissing sounds, in words obviously belong to this culture - even your POV character's name - Rocise.

Posts: 406 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
It's just a little overdone for my tastes. Ennismahi deme, the Military, Rocise, Deit, kommes (coms?)... just a little too much in the first 13. Each new word/concept takes time to parse/process, and as we aren't rooted in a scene either, I found it a little too disorienting.

There's nothing wrong with any of the elements. Just too many things at once.

Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
Although I do feel that version two comes off as clumsy and forced I must disagree with my two colleagues. V1 is an outstanding hook in my opinion.

The opening lines draw me right in. With these short 13 lines we can clearly see the speculative element, conflict, and motives.

V1 uses the 'less is more' approach. You said just enough for me to want more but not too much to bog down the prose.

Well done.

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
halogen
Member # 6494

- posted      Profile for halogen   Email halogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Yo arriki!

Okay gotta be honest of two things

1) When I got it, I _really_ liked it!

2) It took me about 5 reads to get it.

I don't have any decent suggestions on how to improve but as it stands it took me awhile before I really got the concept. It could be that I'm slow.

Right now you are using thought to describe the scene, maybe dialogue would make it easier to lay out that the concept of disease was a foreign element? What about a more specific term like Virus?

Anyways, just thoughts, keep on keeping on!

Posts: 207 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

Halogen - could you help me here.

What confused you so that it took five reads to understand?

This could help a lot. I want this opening to be clear. I'm dropping the reader into the middle of an alien culture and alien problem with no outside explanations.

They are humanoids but I want them to be more than humans in alien suits.

Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
I like V3. The writing is clear, there's tension without excessive drama, and the concept is unique for me.

What's the story's length?

Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

Over 16K but it reads fast and tense. I don't think you'd find it boring.

Give it a try?

snapper
Member # 7299

Don't like the repeated Disease in V3. V1 is still better.
Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

Hmmm…it seems that the problem mainly lies in this opening bit.
Which way opens with the greatest power and clarity?
I think the number and placements of the word Disease plays a big part in how this reads.
More variations –

Disease.
It was an alien word. An alien concept. A terrifying and alien way to die.
Disease.
Rumor whispered that cold slowed its spread. How it spread, was unknown. That it killed was a fact. It had come inside the Ennismahi deme's fanatically guarded borders. Now it had struck in the most remote of Military's bases.

Or, #5 – right now I’m leaning toward #5. The word appears three times. I’m trying to hammer in the idea that these people are more than uneasy about the concept.

Disease. It was an alien word. An alien concept. A terrifying and alien way to die.

Rumor whispered that cold slowed the spread of Disease. How it spread, was unknown. That it killed was a fact. It had come inside the Ennismahi deme's fanatically guarded borders. Now Disease had struck in the most remote of Military's bases.

halogen
Member # 6494

- posted      Profile for halogen   Email halogen         Edit/Delete Post 
When I read cuts like this I try to make my first go at it very fast; I don't really examine the words, I try to read it like I'm standing in a book store.

Most of my confusion came because I saw words that weren't there. Here's what I'm talking about:

quote:

Disease. It was an alien word An alien world called disease?. An alien concept. A terrifying and alien way to die.

Disease. Rumor Who's this Rumor Person? whispered To me? that cold slowed its spread. How it spread, was unknown. That it killed was a fact. It had come inside the Ennismahi deme's fanatically guarded borders. Now it had struck in the most remote of Military's bases.

I'm so used to hearing the phrase "It was an alien world" that it took me 2 passes before I noticed that it actually read "It was an alien word". And unfortunately that one word is probably one of the most critical in the first 13.

Rumor whispered was a second thing that threw me off... because in SF&F it's perfectly reasonable to have a character named "Rumor".

Again, both of these things could easily be me not paying enough attention.

I think the best parts in this 13 are the first and last paragraph. These two:

quote:

Rocise looked down. Her friend, Deit, Rescue Team Three's kommes expert, lay shivering and naked on the makeshift table. White skin, white hair -- eyes white with fear. On Deit's left arm, raw strips bled where the healers had scraped off skin samples looking for worms. The lead healer stopped short of tasting Deit's saliva to check the health of her internal organs.

They go the farthest in describing the who/what of the story. The second paragraph is a solid hook by itself. You could even expand on the action quality of the 2nd paragraph in the first 13 and get into more detail about Disease on the second page. I would definitely read on from a starting of just those two.

Posts: 207 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

IMO you are over emphathizing Disease. The first instance and opening word usage is effective italisized. After that it becomes distractive. May I suggest it you make it more of a thing. Try the disease after the opening word.
adamatom
Member # 8840

- posted      Profile for adamatom   Email adamatom         Edit/Delete Post 
All these versions work for me, though version #5 works best. The first few sentences really hook the reader. You've done a pretty good job of expressing disease as an alien force and an alien concept. The whole image of shivering, naked, makeshift table, fearful eyes, raw strips, scrapping, skin samples, worms, saliva, internal organs, it's all very chilling.

"Ennismahi deme, the Military, Rocise, Deit, kommes (coms?)... just a little too much in the first 13. Each new word/concept takes time to parse/process, and as we aren't rooted in a scene either, I found it a little too disorienting."

I agree that the new word/new concept is a bit much to assimilate in such short space. But I don't think it's overwhelming. Just spread them out and it should be fine. I don't agree that you haven't rooted the reader in the scene. As I mentioned above, I was very rooted. We don't have much info about this species, but we are vividly informed about their encounter with disease.

"IMO you are over emphathizing Disease. The first instance and opening word usage is effective italisized. After that it becomes distractive. May I suggest it you make it more of a thing. Try the disease after the opening word."

IMO, you're on target with your use of the word disease. Don't reduce the number of uses and don't change it from an idea to a thing. Not in the opening paragraphs, that is. When you're talking about the species relating to disease, emphasize the idea aspect. When you get specific, with a medical exam and 2 named members of the species, then switch to talking about disease as a thing.

I'd be glad to try the rest of the story. At 16,000 words, though, I can't promise anything.

Carl
moreheadalumni @ yahoo.com

Posts: 135 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teraen
Member # 8612

- posted      Profile for Teraen   Email Teraen         Edit/Delete Post 
All three worked for me, but V3 is the best. Willing to let me read the whole thing? I'd love to review it...
Posts: 496 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

Okay -- copies emailed to teraen and adamatom. Thanks for offering to read this.

I have continued to underline (for italics) the word disease through the entire story because it is a foreign word to the pov and her people. I suspect someone asked a human - what is this -- the human said something like - it looks like some sort of disease to me. And "disease" stuck. Not "a" disease, just "disease." It is not the flu or measles. It's nothing from Earth at all. An alien disease, too. There's an entire trilogy concerning this. But I haven't been able to sell it.

I am still dithering over those first few lines. Version 3? 5?
It's so important to get that reading smoothly.

I fixed the problem of people thinking "Rumor whispered" was a person - I hope. It's now - All the rumors whispered...

[This message has been edited by arriki (edited November 15, 2009).]

Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

- posted      Profile for Dark Warrior   Email Dark Warrior         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I fixed the problem of people thinking "Rumor whispered" was a person - I hope. It's now - All the rumors whispered...
Nice edit. Since I am currently reading Heritage of Shannara with Rumor the magical cat that kept jumping at me.

I plan on going through your new ending you emailed tonight. I havent forgotten about you.

Posts: 710 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
Feel free to send me the entire story.
Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ScardeyDog
Member # 8707

- posted      Profile for ScardeyDog   Email ScardeyDog         Edit/Delete Post 
I like V3 (or even V4) the best. V5 didn't really do it for me, the repetition was a bit off-putting. (Especially if it will be in italics throught the story - this gives it plenty of emphasis without repitition.)
Posts: 238 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
satate
Member # 8082

- posted      Profile for satate   Email satate         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll read.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architectus
Member # 8809

- posted      Profile for Architectus   Email Architectus         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked number four.

But what if you made this part one sentence.

Disease. "It was an alien word. An alien concept. A terrifying and alien way to die."

It was an alien word, and alien concept, and a terrifying, alien way to die.

Posts: 161 | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.