Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Mind-Jacked SF (3700wd)

Author Topic: Mind-Jacked SF (3700wd)
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
Sent to the chopping block!

[This message has been edited by Bent Tree (edited November 30, 2009).]

Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
I won't comment on the prose as I think you have a bigger problem.

Your protog sounds kind of dumb. '...for some damned reason.'?

If there is a risk of 'Jelipine' attack then he'd better have a good reason to go out--a really good reason. Turkey City lexicon warns regarding having a protaganist doing something stupid just to suit the plot. Presumably if he doesn't go for the cigar the story won't happen.

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

- posted      Profile for arriki   Email arriki         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with skadder but then the whole background here doesn’t make sense to me – my opinion.

You say -- instead of pulling down the black outs and turning in

Huh? I would normally presume that black outs meant coverings to prevent light from leaking out. So, night would be when activity was less. You even begin with saying that NY used to be active all night.

But he doesn’t pull them down but he does look out the window? So, what are these black outs?
Do people not go out at all day or night? Can’t picture that.
Why didn’t he go out at night to the store?

Worst of all, if no one goes out during the day, why would he think the shop was open???

See my confusion?

[This message has been edited by arriki (edited November 30, 2009).]

Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.