Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » The Inheritance of Earth- flash science fiction

Author Topic: The Inheritance of Earth- flash science fiction
EP Kaplan
Member # 5688

- posted      Profile for EP Kaplan   Email EP Kaplan         Edit/Delete Post 
This is my first flash piece of science fiction. Harder than I expected, but I had fun. Totaled at about 870 words

EDIT: Revised (very slightly) with regards to BenM's comments.
---

Earth was once blue, you know? Yes, I know, you probably don’t believe me. You see it now, through the telescope, the first of two red planets orbiting the star Sol, but try to remember the vids, the old 2D ones. That footage, it’s not from Inheritance; they were made on Earth! Our homeworld was once blue and green, like this planet. That was before the Scourge drove us to the world of Inheritance. Now, I was younger than you kids are when the war happened, not that there really was much of a war, but this is what I can tell you.

Our first contact with extraterrestrial life had no explosions. Bombs did not strike our cities. Also Sprach Zarathustra was not played. Earth’s skies did not burn, did not darken, did not illuminate. They bled.

[This message has been edited by EP Kaplan (edited November 30, 2009).]

Posts: 180 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adamatom
Member # 8840

- posted      Profile for adamatom   Email adamatom         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm hooked. I'd love to read it.
Posts: 135 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TLH
Member # 8897

- posted      Profile for TLH   Email TLH         Edit/Delete Post 
As would I. It's dealing with a big idea, a wide vista on a large canvas, but with very little paint to work with (your word count). I'd like to read the whole thing if you'll email it to me.

Regards,

Tony.

Posts: 10 | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaoArtGuy
Member # 8857

- posted      Profile for TaoArtGuy   Email TaoArtGuy         Edit/Delete Post 
Very cool feel so far. I'd be interested in reading the whole thing.
Posts: 67 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BenM
Member # 8329

- posted      Profile for BenM   Email BenM         Edit/Delete Post 
Great opening.

There was some redundancy that may not have been necessary there, but I'm not sure how best to massage it. And I suspect they don't all need to be changed. Nevertheless, my attention was drawn to
the repetition of vids in remember the vids, the old 2D ones. Those vids
the repetition of Earth in they were made on Earth! Earth was once
the repetition and redefinition of Inheritance, which I had determined from the context to be a planet name at the first, as in made on Inheritance ... to the world of Inheritance

If you'd like a full crit, send it through.

Posts: 921 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EP Kaplan
Member # 5688

- posted      Profile for EP Kaplan   Email EP Kaplan         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks everyone. I've sent everyone but adamatom (do you have an email?) a copy. BenM, thanks for the perspective on wording.
Posts: 180 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LlessurNire
Member # 8781

- posted      Profile for LlessurNire   Email LlessurNire         Edit/Delete Post 
I too really like it and would love to read it, send it to me if you want and I'll critique after reading the whole thing.
Posts: 85 | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adamatom
Member # 8840

- posted      Profile for adamatom   Email adamatom         Edit/Delete Post 
moreheadalumni @ yahoo.com
Posts: 135 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foste
Member # 8892

- posted      Profile for Foste   Email Foste         Edit/Delete Post 
This is one incredible hook.

I would be delighted to read the full version and critique it, if you would send it to me.

Posts: 628 | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.