Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » The Resurrection of the Warrior

Author Topic: The Resurrection of the Warrior
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
A bit of fantasy. Just started. Here is the first 13:

In the forest deep, a low mound covered with leaf mold and ferns began to steam. The morning mist had long gone, yet vapors continued to rise until a tremor shook the ground. The ferns shook and then fell. A hand thrust up from the smoking heap. An arm and then a shoulder followed. A head and neck, stained black from years of rotted leaves, stuggled up from the filth.

A huge intake of air, a gasp, a cough followed by the announcement to the world, although the ears of Man were far away, "I am come at last from my supposed grave."

Manton shook his head. Too long had he slept in the forest while his body recovered from Lord Doom's fatal curse. A new world? No such thoughts energized his mind during his long sleep. Yet his very survival made dross the curse. He survived!

Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

- posted      Profile for Dark Warrior   Email Dark Warrior         Edit/Delete Post 
Owasm, I thought the first paragraph was well written and descriptive. After reading the entire 1st 13 though I found myself thinking how captivated I would have been if you started out with MC POV while he was in the ground and describing his thoughts and actions as he emerged.

quote:
"I am come at last from my supposed grave."

I was thinking good...good...then it lost me as he said "From my supposed grave." I probably would have liked a simple exclamation like "I am come at last" or "Here's Johnny." Only longer if he was actually talking to someone.

[This message has been edited by Dark Warrior (edited January 08, 2010).]

Posts: 710 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BenM
Member # 8329

- posted      Profile for BenM   Email BenM         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure this opening works for me. The possible similarity with a waking-from-a-dream motif is less of an issue thanks to the title, but it's still there, and made worse for me personally by a number of similar openings I've read recently. Trying to put that aside, perhaps more at issue was the shift in point of view from a more omniscient first two paragraphs to a closer pov in the third paragraph.

Not knowing the story it's impossible to tell how well this works of course, but I wonder if, by contrast, the story started with Manton walking away from the hole from which he's emerged, we can start directly with the character and remain in close third - should that be the desired pov for the rest of the story.

Posts: 921 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

Good point Ben. I can certainly start with the MC out of the ground and engaged in thought. It's the purple prose guy in me that makes me do that.
Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the opening paragraph. It gives a very good visual and I didn't feel that it was too purple.

I don't mind the pov shift because I figure the very first bit is a freebie. And it's like the camera is pulled back and you're just zooming in.

This works for me.

Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andersonmcdonald
Member # 8641

- posted      Profile for andersonmcdonald   Email andersonmcdonald         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi. Nice visuals. Intriguing start. My only quibble is with this:

"I am come at last from my supposed grave!"

Sounds like a villain from a Hannah-Barbera cartoon. IMHO, I'd cut this, try to come up with more realistic dialogue. As it is now, it reads like "Gargamel's Revenge."

Posts: 456 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

- posted      Profile for Merlion-Emrys   Email Merlion-Emrys         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree wholeheartedly with genevive. Love the very begining. Maybe something a little more striking that "supposed grave."

Don't mind the POV shift. I think it works totally fine in this situation. As gen said, camera panned out, zooming in.

Not sure about "Lord Doom," seems a teensy bit obvious, but it could work.

quote:
Yet his very survival made dross the curse.

Pure, throbbing, pulsating awesome if'n you ask me.

Other than those two little things, I love it.

Posts: 2626 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

- posted      Profile for arriki   Email arriki         Edit/Delete Post 
Nits – misspelled I assume “stuggled” – struggled.

Don’t need the comma after forest deep. Reversing the noun-adjective sounds awkward since you do not continue in that cadence.

Ferns shook and then fell – my sense is that with “and then” usually you need only one of those conjunctions. It’s kind of redundant. Can be used, though. Your choice.

A new world? No such thoughts energized his mind during his long sleep. – cut this. It is usually counter productive to say what didn’t happen. And it breaks into the topic of the curse and survival.

Actually playing around with what you have here it seems to me – opinion – that you might be better served reversing the 2nd and third paragraphs. Just feels like a more logical set of progressive steps into the story. Also, you might want to use the shaking of his head as a segue in the middle of the third paragraph.

The “too” long bothers me here. That he has slept long – yeah, Why the too long? And how does he know it is too long? You say his mind was not very energized during the long time.

Manton the ______ [who or what is he?] had slept in the forest while his body recovered from Lord Doom's [a bit too melodramatic for my taste] curse. He shook the dirt and filth from his head and grinned wolfishly. He had survived! His very awakening now made dross of the [demon’s worst or whatever] curse.

A huge intake of air, a gasp, a cough followed by the announcement to the world, although the ears of Man were far away, "I am come at last from my supposed grave."

The “supposed” kind of deflates the energy of that announcement. My preference – opinion here — I am come back from my grave!

Hmmm looking at it now, I think that third paragraph is all wrong. Break it up.

Two “and then”s in a row -- and then fell. A hand thrust up from the smoking heap. An arm and then…

Tell us about the staining from the leaves with the first appearance of the hand otherwise we might think that only the head and neck are black. This way – my opinion – we figure that the entire body is stained. It is, isn’t it?

You say shook in two consecutive sentences.

I love the gasp, cough and intake but, as I have rearranged things, you now have two lists in a row. That reads kind of awkwardly. I can’t figure out how to fix that.

Hmmm put some thing in to break up that feel?

In the forest the birds and insects fell silent. A low mound covered with leaf mold and ferns began to steam. Vapors rose from the mound like morning mist, thickening until a tremor shook the ground. The ferns trembled as a hand stained black from years of rotted leaves thrust up through the smoking heap. An arm and a shoulder followed. Finally, the head appeared. After a gasp, a cough. and a huge intake of air, the humanlike [is he?] form struggled up from the filth.

Manton the ______ [who or what is he?] had slept in the forest while his body recovered from Lord Doom's [a bit too melodramatic for my taste] curse. He shook the dirt and filth from his hair and grinned wolfishly. He had survived! His very awakening now made dross of the [demon’s worst or whatever] curse.

Although the ears of Man were far away from this silent forest, he shouted, "I am come back! Back from the grave you put me in!”

Hmmm put something in to break up that feel - the two series in a row?
Like this in that paragraph?

.... A hand stained black from years of rotted leaves thrust up through the smoking heap. An arm and a shoulder followed. Finally, the head appeared. Twenty [or however many] years of death was shoved aside. After a gasp, a cough, and a huge intake of air, the humanlike [is he?] form struggled up from the filth.

Just suggestions. Consider what caused my problems and choose your own solutions.

[This message has been edited by arriki (edited January 08, 2010).]

Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I stop at Lord Doom, but that may just be a placeholder name (please tell me it's a placeholder name).

"Yet his very survival made dross the curse" is awkward to parse - I think ou mean "Made dross of the curse" or "made the curse into dross" or "made mock of the curse" or something along those lines.

Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

This is for a story contest at another site and Doom is part of the trigger. It won't last in the story.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.