Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Eurwen and the White Dragon

Author Topic: Eurwen and the White Dragon
Dame
Member # 8513

- posted      Profile for Dame   Email Dame         Edit/Delete Post 
This is around 6500 words and is at 3rd draft stage. I think the title is very, very dull, and that dragons should be avoided as much as possible.

Alternative title: The Beauty Garden of the White Dragon. I can't think of any that don't have dragon in...

Here is the beginning - any suggestions on clarity, grammar, and sheer hookiness will be greatly appreciated.

As the sun scaled the tops of the Black Mountains, the invaders kicked open the gate in the village stockade. Eurwen felt, rather than saw the ripple of fear in the crowd behind her. She raised her hand, as much to still her own heart as to calm her people.

The soldiers marched into the village in perfect step. They moved like dancers, their weight centred and low. As they neared, Eurwen faught to control her rising dread. Each man was unbearably handsome. Like stags, like bears, like noble hounds, they were all different, but each could break hearts with a glance. Fifty men with slashed cheekbones, eyes of blue or grey or green, lips full and chins determined, came to a syncronised halt in the open space before the gate.

2nd beginning.

The Beauty Garden

The invaders kicked down the gate in the village stockade. Eurwen heard the crowd behind her moan in fear, but did not flinch as the flimsy barrier crashed to the ground. She raised her hand, as much to still her own heart as to calm her people.

The soldiers marched into the village in perfect step. They moved like dancers, their weight centred and low. As they neared, Eurwen fought to control her rising dread. The rumours of the dragon's army were true. Each man was inhumanly handsome.

Fifty soldiers, with high cheekbones, eyes of blue or green, lips full and chins determined, came to a syncronised halt in the open space before the gate. Their polished breastplates gleamed. Welsh blood left no stain at all.

A soldier stepped forward. Ribbons of rank adorned his cheast.

[This message has been edited by Dame (edited March 04, 2010).]

Posts: 96 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dropbear
Member # 8819

- posted      Profile for Dropbear   Email Dropbear         Edit/Delete Post 
Scaled, though probably technically correct, sounds wrong to me in the first line. It sounds like hand-over-hand climbing. Perhaps just get rid of the bit about the sun altogether and start with the gates being kicked in, sounds much more dramatic that way:

quote:

The invaders kicked open the gate in the village stockade. Eurwen felt, rather than saw the ripple of fear in the crowd behind her. She raised her hand, as much to still her own heart as to calm her people.

The second line I don't like, but that's just a personal thing. I mean: How do you feel fear without seeing it? What is the actual sensation or clue that Eurwen is referring to? Maybe actually telling us what sensation she is experiencing would be the way to go. Can she hear the gasp of astonishment from the crowd as the gates come down?

In the third line, how is raising her hand supposed to still her own heart? As a visual gesture to calm the crowd, I can understand, but what did you mean in realtion to herself?

Posts: 78 | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
This contains several spelling errors: faught instead of fought, centred instead of centered, and syncronised instead of synchronized.

The line "Eurwen felt, rather than saw the ripple" needs a comma after "saw" or no comma after "felt". (Don't make both changes.)

Moving on to word choice, I personally don't like stories starting with a conjunction, such as "as".

I also think of scaling as hand-over-hand climbing, and this isn't something I can image a typical sun doing.

Dropbear's example of a revised first line looks fine to me.

I like the characterization in "moved like dancers, their weight [centered] and low." This makes me think Eurwen has little to no experience with fighters.

Though that does make me wonder about her heightened ability of perception. People feel the actions of others when they're trained to respond to environmental cues or they're especially familiar with the people they're responding to. Is she used to interacting with the crowd?

Her raising her hand worked for me. She's taking action, however small, instead of focusing on the danger. That is calming, in a way.

The mutual handsomeness of the invading men and the dread it brings to the MC is a bit hooky, because I'd love to see if my vague guess is correct. These men are magic? Maybe tied to dragons somehow?

Regarding the title, I prefer the alternative. I'm wondering how a beauty garden differs from a regular garden. There's nothing special about [Name] and the [Color] Dragon.

Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JSchuler
Member # 8970

- posted      Profile for JSchuler   Email JSchuler         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with what's been posted before. Let me add a few things:

The invaders KICK open the gate to the stockade? The villagers, despite being afraid enough to lock themselves into the stockade, did nothing to reinforce the gate?

A RIPPLE of fear. Ripple's aren't that impressive, and they're ephemeral. When I hear a "ripple of fear" I'm thinking of something like a shiver down the spine or a momentary gut check: A ripple of fear went through the IT department when they realized none of the office's computers were talking to each other. "Oh shoot!" said Bob, as he hurried to plug the rack back in.

I'm actually fine with FEELING the fear. When you're dealing with crowds, emotions can be palpable. You might not know what you're picking up on, but you definitely know the signal you're getting.

Would the people really notice how drop dead handsome the army is when they're experiencing dread? It's a very odd reaction, and it seems disconnected from the reality of what's happening. If it's appropriate, I think the reader needs something else for them to reconcile both the dread and the physical attraction.

Posts: 388 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BenM
Member # 8329

- posted      Profile for BenM   Email BenM         Edit/Delete Post 
It doesn't really hook me, but that is because I perceive it to be opening a story type - fantasy/romance - that isn't high on my must-read list anyway.

Nevertheless a couple of things bothered me. The first is the conflict here:
As they neared, Eurwen faught to control her rising dread. Each man was unbearably handsome.
She dreads them because they're handsome? In trying to attach to this character I'm getting confused, which is throwing me out.

The other is:
Like stags, like bears, like noble hounds, they were all different,
The problem of course being that these are different species, and we're saying they're like these different species but they're different. Are you trying to say that like all stags are different, these guys are different? Then why confuse the matter? Or if trying to say that these invaders are a band of different non-human types, then it'd be more like a zoo, or like a collection of different species, than like a specific one and/or like the next one.

Posts: 921 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
babooher
Member # 8617

- posted      Profile for babooher   Email babooher         Edit/Delete Post 
I keep chuckling when I think of the invaders prancing in like dancers.

You've also described this invasion in a way that I can't understand the villagers fear. The soldiers just seem so prissy. And aside from kicking open the stockade, what threatening gesture has this invasion made?

Am I really supposed to relate to the protagonist's fear of 50 handsome line dancers?

Posts: 823 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dame
Member # 8513

Wow - it's amazing what you find in a mere 13 lines. Thanks for all those points - far more than I was hoping for, so lots to work on.

And deep shame for not even having sent it through a spell checker. How shoddy is that? Some of the mistakes are UK spellings, but not all...

Thanks again, all. I'll post a tweaked version when I've worked on the whole draft.

Posts: 96 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Kudos to you, Dame, for taking this feedback so well. I'm impressed.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dame
Member # 8513

Heh. Sadly enough, I've had worse.

I might not implement all suggestions - but it is very useful to see what messages people get from the start.

The suggestion that this might be romance is great as it is pecisely NOT what the story is! So I'll change the focus from unbearably to inhumanly handsome, and try to make the soldiers less... prancy and more chilling etc.

Cheers.
D

aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
Dame, which words (in this opening) are spelled differently in the U.K. than in the U.S.? I'd like to know for future reference, if you don't mind.
Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
aspirit, "centred" and "synchronised" are U.K. (and, I think Canadian as well) spellings.

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited February 08, 2010).]

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BenM
Member # 8329

Yep, in general, when reading between US and British(/Australian/etc) English...
-ize/-ized becomes -ise/-ised
for words with Latin etymology, often
-or becomes -our [valor/armor/color]
-er becomes -re [meter(unit)/center]
or Greek
-og becomes -ogue [catalog/dialog/monolog]
etc etc

There are a HUGE number of subtle grammatical and word-choice differences. Personally, I just read over these and take them in as an aspect of 'voice'. Encountering, for example, no definite article before "hospital", or "torch" instead of "flashlight" just influences my interpretation of the writer's accent, as it were.

And I'm wary of changing all my colours to colors, because of the grammar and idiom differences that I won't pick up on. I just hope that if a US editor receives my scruffy Australian-English manuscript they like it enough to iron out any challenging language differences.

Posts: 921 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dame
Member # 8513

I do usually change the spellings for the US markets. I never worried too much about the more subtle grammatical differences. Oh dear, yet another thing to think about...

As you say, Ben, if you have a consistent tone and voice, then I think it will be accepted. In most of the submission guidelines that mention it at all, they say - UK/AUS/US - it doesn't matter if the story is a good'n.

tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
Much as I hesitate to correct She-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed, "synchronised" is not to my knowledge spelt without the "h" in UK English.

I have to say the opening didn't work for me. You tell us people are scared, but you give no real hint of WHY; of what the soldiers mean, whence they come, anything. It's all surface and no rationale, and so it comes across as telling, even though it reads is if you mean to show.

And the hounds/bears/stags thing just didn't work for me.

Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
There is no such thing as British English--it is just English. Variations derive from the original--Pidgin-English; American-English; Autralian-English, etc.

So:

-og doesn't become -ogue.

More correctly:

-ogue becomes -og.
etc.

Adam (just visiting from Pedant's Corner)

[This message has been edited by skadder (edited February 08, 2010).]

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BenM
Member # 8329

Yeah, but you have to explain it in a way the colonials can understand...

*runs for the hills*

Seriously though, it's my understanding that English spelling was not standardised until the late nineteenth century, at which point the US and commonwealth went about it independently and with their own political goals. So I always thought it's not that one came after the other, but they both emerged from the same (somewhat mixed) source.

I feel this thread is becoming derailed...

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

quote:
Much as I hesitate to correct She-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed, "synchronised" is not to my knowledge spelt without the "h" in UK English.

Oops! Sorry about that.

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

As for derailing the topic, along with so diplomatically correcting my spelling error, tchernabyelo did make a comment about the 13 lines.
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
My spell checker (set to UK) wants the H.
Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dame
Member # 8513

Cambridge dictionary has an H, too.

tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Cambridge dictionary has an H, too

Nope, no h anywhere in either Cambrdge or dictionary. Not even a silent one...

To continue with the digression - standardised English spelling begin to appear, logically enough, with dictionaries, the first of which appeared in 1755 (Johnson's). Webster produced his US dictionary in 1806. I have heard it suggested that he deliberately chose different spellings of certain words to differentiate his product from others (presumably reprints of Johnson's), but I am not convinced about that. Much American English is based on particular local dialects from the earlier settlers, and indeed in some ways American English is actually more like 17th-century English than current British usage (e.g. -ize rather than -ise, fall rather than autumn, etc). In terms of word usage, the main differences are technical words that needed to be coined for new inventions before rapid transatlantic communications - so the car and railway/automobile and railroad provide the largest chunk of different terms.

Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

Nathaniel Merrin
Member # 9002

- posted      Profile for Nathaniel Merrin   Email Nathaniel Merrin         Edit/Delete Post 
The entire contingent of wondrously handsome men did pique my curiosity some.
Posts: 64 | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dame
Member # 8513

A second attempt has been edited into the first post. Would anyone mind giving it a look over?

Thanks in advance.

D

NoTimeToThink
Member # 5174

- posted      Profile for NoTimeToThink   Email NoTimeToThink         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the image you're painting here. The new (2nd) version is more active and engaging.

Nits:
1) I'm having a little trouble reconciling the visuals between "the soldiers marched" and "They moved like dancers, their weight centered and low." The word "marched" has a very defined meaning to me, of a staccato pace, walking upright and tall, as opposed to having weight centered and low, which comes out as an almost crouching glide. You might want to change one phrase or the other to remove the conflict (I would probably change "marched" to "advanced", but that may not give the visual you want.)
2) When you say the soldiers halt "before the gate", it makes me think they never came in, even though I know they did. Consider changing "before" to "inside".

Posts: 406 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dame
Member # 8513

Thanks - good points. I'll look at both those things. Glad you feel this draft is smoother.
MrsBrown
Member # 5195

- posted      Profile for MrsBrown   Email MrsBrown         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
As they neared, Eurwen fought to control her rising dread. The rumours of the dragon's army were true. Each man was inhumanly handsome.
quote:
She dreads them because they're handsome?
I think BenM's concern still has not been addressed in version 2. It doesn't make sense to me that their handsomeness is a source of dread. (I'm imagining that Eurwen's people are all virgin girls...)

How else are they inhuman? Or what else causes the dread? (If the rumors about their handsomeness are true, then maybe the rumors about how vicious they are weren't overstated either).

[This message has been edited by MrsBrown (edited March 09, 2010).]

Posts: 785 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dame
Member # 8513

Thanks for your help on this, so long ago. I just thought I would pop in a little update. This story sold to Daily Science Fiction a few weeks ago with the title, "The Beauty Garden." Hooray!

Corky
Member # 2714

- posted      Profile for Corky   Email Corky         Edit/Delete Post 
Way to go! Thanks for the update.

[This message has been edited by Corky (edited October 06, 2010).]

Posts: 603 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coralm
Member # 9274

- posted      Profile for coralm   Email coralm         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats! I hope you tell us when we can read the whole thing, I'm looking forward to it.
Posts: 116 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dame
Member # 8513

"The Beauty Garden," as it is now known, comes out with Daily Science Fiction tomorrow as one of their weekend featured stories. Thank you to all who helped make those first lines a lot tighter than they were.
Josephine Kait
Member # 8157

- posted      Profile for Josephine Kait   Email Josephine Kait         Edit/Delete Post 
Major congratulations on this truly remarkable story.

Very well done!

Posts: 456 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.