Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Querent

Author Topic: Querent
Violent Harvest
Member # 9038

- posted      Profile for Violent Harvest   Email Violent Harvest         Edit/Delete Post 
Shel's eyes snapped open, and he wept.

It was impossible to escape the fleeting visions of soldiers --- thousands of them, lined on the crest of a great hill, their backs to the horizon. Their spears glistened with the first rays of sunshine across their metal pinnacles, and yet some of those rays were absorbed by the stains of blood.

He rose to his feet, clasping his face in his hands, until his breathing slowed and the choked hints of tears receded back in to the depths of his spirit. Here, in this room, in this entire nexus of control, he was a slave.

---------------------------

This story is around four thousand words, and while it is a darker type of fiction, it focuses on abstract concepts like those illustrated in "Xenocide." The imagery is very strong and colorful. I've always wanted to write a story about tarot cards, and this is what came out. Please let me know if you're interested!

Posts: 30 | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

- posted      Profile for Merlion-Emrys   Email Merlion-Emrys         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok I can't resist, send it to me.

I would suggest possibly droping "entire" before nexus. And maybe a little sense of the room? We currently have a clearer picture of the vision than his current location.

[This message has been edited by Merlion-Emrys (edited March 11, 2010).]

Posts: 2626 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wolfe_boy
Member # 5456

- posted      Profile for Wolfe_boy   Email Wolfe_boy         Edit/Delete Post 
I won't be able to critique your whole piece, but I will take a stab at your first thirteen.

quote:
Shel's eyes snapped open, and he wept. (1)

It was impossible to escape the fleeting visions of soldiers --- thousands of them, lined on the crest of a great hill, their backs to the horizon. Their spears glistened with the first rays of sunshine across their metal pinnacles, and yet some of those rays were absorbed by the stains of blood. (2)

He rose to his feet, clasping (3) his face in his hands, until his breathing slowed and the choked hints of tears receded back in to the depths of his spirit. (4) Here, in this room, in this entire nexus of control (5), he was a slave.

You're a few lines short of thirteen, by my count. The easiest way to tell is to copy your text into the text-entry box. It should be full at 13 lines, not including paragraph breaks.

1. The way this sentence is structured, it appears that these two events are directly linked, like the snapping of his eyes led to tears. At least that's how it reads to me.

2. Great visual imagery.... it's easy to see the scene you're imagining.

3. I see the word clasping as something done to a smaller object - a light grip on a rope, your lady's hand, something you can wrap your fingers around but need to do so gently. Would another word (like held, perhaps) work just as well?

4. This sentence here is either a bit dense, or a bit purple, to my eye.

5. Here's where those few extra lines would come in handy. What exactly is a nexus of control? Is it a tangible control room? A literary play on words? Using every last word we can in a first thirteen is helpful in cases like this, where something is obscure to a reader.

All in all, a good beginning to a story. If I were an editor, I would read on. None of the issues or questions I had were truly significant, and your second paragraph itself has hooked me, for at least another page or two.

Something to keep in mind about first thirteen critiques - everyone will have their own style, and comment coming from a different place. No one is saying something is right or wrong, just leaving their opinion. It is up to you to do with that oppinion as you see fit.

Anyways, once again, welcome!

Posts: 733 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Violent Harvest
Member # 9038

- posted      Profile for Violent Harvest   Email Violent Harvest         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the feedback. It's so awesome to have experienced readers and authors reading this. The site I write for, creepypasta.com, doesn't have the eloquence or attention to detail. Looking forward to this this level of criticism. I feel like I've discovered a gold mine here.

I sent you the story, Merlin. Would anyone else like the entire thing as well?

Oh, also, the reason I didn't add the additional lines is mostly because that would cut off my next paragraph/thought and cause it to be rather abrupt. Basically, the reader needs to see the entire paragraph for the next few descriptions of the nexus and the dream to make sense, but only adding five lines of it would jumble things up and cause the reader to be more confused. Does this make sense, perhaps?

[This message has been edited by Violent Harvest (edited March 11, 2010).]

Posts: 30 | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

- posted      Profile for Merlion-Emrys   Email Merlion-Emrys         Edit/Delete Post 
It does, but I'd still post the whole 13 lines. We're used to that sort of thing. Better than than having even less to go on.

I got the story, I'll get it back to you...eventually. Probably soon knowing me.

Posts: 2626 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Violent Harvest
Member # 9038

Thank you, I'll edit this and see if I can make the 13-line application feasible for this particular piece.
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
First, I would like to say that I am pretty impressed with your prose. It isn't that often that I get engaged in ones writing style, but you write well.

That said, I would be glad to look at the story, but I have so much going on, and I am in such need of readers for the several stories I have for several projects with deadlines at the end of this month that I would only commit to doing so if you wouldn't mind taking a look at one of mine in return.

So If you are interested, send me an email and I will send you a list of possibilities to choose from. Usually I do not make such demands, but it is a critical time for me.

Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NoTimeToThink
Member # 5174

- posted      Profile for NoTimeToThink   Email NoTimeToThink         Edit/Delete Post 
A good start, well written. I am willing to give it a go if you want to send the entire piece to me.

I agree that "clasping his face" doesn't quite work - "holding" would be better.

The last bit about "nexus of control" needs more explanation before I'll be sure I understand it, but it makes me wonder if, rather than having a dream, Shel has travelled (through time or out of body) to see these soldiers.

Posts: 406 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
I find myelf agreeing with what Wolfe boy said.

I stress that this would be a lot better if you cut that first line out. The second paragraph is powerful. The opening line does little to grab the reader. In fact, it turned me off.

Nice work.

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Violent Harvest
Member # 9038

I'm going to go on an editing spree and see if I can't make the hook a little more engaging, and I've sent the story to those who requested it. Again, thank you for taking the time to help me .... your assistance here is greatly appreciated.
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

I'm just about to do my final comments on the story, then I'll be sending you the crit.
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

I am still down for a re-read if you make revisions. Send it along when you are ready.
Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wolfe_boy
Member # 5456

Don't forget to try and spend a little time critiquing other peoples writing as well. We learn from receiving critiques, but also (and oftentimes, moreso) from reading others work critically and offering our own critiques.
Posts: 733 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

While not visible, he critted two of my stories.
Violent Harvest
Member # 9038

I am actually exchanging emails with a few members behind the scenes, yeah.
NoTimeToThink
Member # 5174

- posted      Profile for NoTimeToThink   Email NoTimeToThink         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah-hah! Clandestine ops...
Posts: 406 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wolfe_boy
Member # 5456

Cool! Good stuff.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.