Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » My Solitary Darkness

Author Topic: My Solitary Darkness
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
How has so much time passed?
It seemed like a child's ball--blue and muddy--left out over a cold winter's night and sheathed in hoar frost. But it was the Earth; blue oceans and streaks of brown land visible only around the equator, the rest was frozen.
An ice age...
Jankan felt her lower lip tremble; the truth was there to see. She blinked away the tears. There must be hope, after all, hadn't she survived millennia of sleep? It must be millennia--ice ages didn't happen over night. Perhaps Jack had lived through the years, too--somehow...
"Apollo?" She addressed the ship, a brittle edge to her voice.
Motes of blue light spun in the air as the ship's avatar formed; a

[This message has been edited by skadder (edited July 26, 2010).]

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

- posted      Profile for JenniferHicks   Email JenniferHicks         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice. IMO, you've hit all the main qualifications of a good opening. I really like the ball imagry, and you've introduced a conflict and a main character who has a goal. I'd keep reading. All I have are nitpicks.

-- Cut "cold" (of course winter nights are cold).
-- Cut "the" in front of Earth.
-- Change "Jankan felt her lower lip tremble" to "Jankan's lower lip trembled."
-- Cut "the" in front of "tears."

Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thomaskcarpenter
Member # 9192

- posted      Profile for thomaskcarpenter   Email thomaskcarpenter         Edit/Delete Post 
Good opening. I get a sense of your quality writing, I'm intrigued by the potential problems, and I'm already developing a sense of sympathy for the character.

And agree with Jennifer's nits.

I'll read more if you need it.

Posts: 118 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
axeminister
Member # 8991

- posted      Profile for axeminister   Email axeminister         Edit/Delete Post 
Digg
Posts: 1543 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent start - definitely a reader.

I agree with what Jennifer said. Also:

quote:
There must be hope, after all, hadn't she survived millennia of sleep? It must be millennia--ice ages didn't happen over night. Perhaps Jack had lived through the years, too--somehow...

"There must be hope" is a complete sentence. Furthermore, it is a statement. The next part is a question. It would be better to separate these. I would suggest using a period since you used a semicolon in the previous sentence. Also there shouldn't be a comma after "years" unless you are purposely making a pause. If that is the case you could use "years - too...somehow."

Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, and one more thing - not sure about the United Kingdom, but here "overnight" is one word.
Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Osiris
Member # 9196

- posted      Profile for Osiris   Email Osiris         Edit/Delete Post 
-I loved line 2 in which you compare the child's blue ball to the planet Earth. For me, the "streaks of brown land" did not work, though. It evoked imagery of a dirty window. I might use something like "blue oceans and a belt of brown land...". This would succinctly give us the notion of the land being visible around the equator. You'd have to work in somehow the part about the rest being frozen.

-As mentioned above, we know Jankan would feel her lip tremble if it did so, so be more succinct with "Jankan's lower lip trembled."

- I found "too-somehow..." to be slightly jarring. Maybe "Jack had somehow lived through the years, too".

Overall good start, you have introduced conflict and mystery in your first lines, I would definitely read more to find out both what happened to the earth and why Jankan and Jack have been hibernating for so long.

Posts: 1043 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
Why are Jankan and Jack's names so similar? If there is a reason, awesome, but if not I would consider changing Jack to something else.

But I like it. Are you looking for readers? If so you can send it my way.
~Sheena

Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

Thanks for reading and commenting. I'll respond to some of the issues:

@JenniferHicks--felt her lower lip tremble versus lower lip trembled. I consciously decided on the first as I thought it was important not to confuse the POV. You may disagree (and may be right!).

@Philo--overnight...yes.

@Shimiqua--just placeholder names...I always seem to go for names beginning with J. No readers yet. I am struggling with a story for an anthology I was invited to submit to.

Thanks t everyone else who took the time to read and comment--all valuable stuff.

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

quote:
...felt her lower lip tremble versus lower lip trembled. I consciously decided on the first as I thought it was important not to confuse the POV

Not to get into another POV discussion, but I can't imagine that POV should be so strict to not acknowledge an involuntary bodily response in writing. What about voluntary responses like "he tapped his finger" or other involuntary responses like "he doubled-over from the blow"?

Utahute72
Member # 9057

- posted      Profile for Utahute72   Email Utahute72         Edit/Delete Post 
I really like the opening. I agree with the last two of Jennifer's nits, but I would disagree with the other two. Anyone who has spent a winter night out knows some are colder than others. "the" earth is commonly used in SciFi.
Posts: 459 | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
I have one complaint...

Aren't you supposed to be working on another story that has a deadline that is hours away instead? Quit stalling!

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

quote:
Not to get into another POV discussion, but I can't imagine that POV should be so strict to not acknowledge an involuntary bodily response in writing. What about voluntary responses like "he tapped his finger" or other involuntary responses like "he doubled-over from the blow"?

I guess the point I am making is that everything before that sentence is either unattributed thought or description from an unknown POV. The first line where the POV gets 'anchored' is the line where I do that...

I'll consider what you've said. I usually edit out 'felts' as they aren't needed...

skadder
Member # 6757

Yes..Frank I am about 4k into it and working hard; I'll send it to you probably Friday. The above intro was actually a start of a story for the same antho, but a sci-fi story. I figured it would end up above the 7k limit.

[This message has been edited by skadder (edited July 28, 2010).]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.