Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » SMALL SCALE WARS

Author Topic: SMALL SCALE WARS
PB&Jenny
Member # 9200

- posted      Profile for PB&Jenny   Email PB&Jenny         Edit/Delete Post 
This is my first draft. Be gentle.
===============================================

“Stop that man! He’s trying to escape!” Doctor Porcine shuffled after Fenton Marshall, mental hospital patient and suicide risk, as he made for the exit doors of the hospital. The Dr. clutched his fist to his chest from the exertion even though he had only jogged 15 feet from his office.
Fenton had had enough of this crazy place and wanted out. He got to the front doors and found them to be magnetically locked as he tried pulling them open. Dr. Porcine was only 60 feet from him but it would take the portly doctor several minutes to force himself to travel the entire distance to apprehend him.
Fortunately for the doctor, there were two rather large orderlies at the security desk who could do that for him. They struggled desperately out of their complaining metal chairs and
==============================================================
Second draft...

Fenton Marshall, recently pronounced mental patient and suicide risk bolted for the exit doors of the hospital he was trapped in.
“Stop that man! He’s trying to escape!” yelled the psychiatrist as he shuffled after his patient. The extremely overweight doctor, not used to moving on his own, clutched his fist to his chest from the exertion, even though he had only jogged 15 feet from his office. The doctor was 60 feet from his patient but it would take him several minutes to force himself to travel the entire distance to apprehend him.
Fenton had had enough of this crazy place and wanted out. He knew he wasn’t crazy. He knew his three friends he had gotten here with weren’t crazy either. And he knew that they didn’t belong in this crazy world where everyone was

[This message has been edited by PB&Jenny (edited August 16, 2010).]

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited August 16, 2010).]

Posts: 365 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WouldBe
Member # 5682

- posted      Profile for WouldBe   Email WouldBe         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello,

It's not clear who the main character is. I'd guess the patient is. It would be more clear if the point of view was tightened up in favor of the MC; or starting the story with the MC. (If it's the patient, have him bolt for the door before the doctor shouts.)

With names like Dr. Porcine, this is looking like Animal Farm meets Cuckoo's Nest. Even so, the doctor must be nearly disabled to take several minutes to go 60 feet.

Some nits:
--made for the exit doors of the hospital: you could probably leave out 'of the hospital' since the sentence earlier established they were in a hospital.
--The Dr. clutched.... I think this should be 'doctor'. 'Dr.' is a form of address.
--in general, I think the second paragraph should be tightened up and made more active (showing rather than telling). It's a bit distancing. For example: Dr. Porcine looked at the 60 feet separating him from Fenton and shook his head. He hobbled another step.

Good luck with it.

Posts: 746 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PB&Jenny
Member # 9200

Thank you for that. I was bogged down with other parts of the story to even consider your suggestions. I will definitely put them to good use.

PB

Posts: 365 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
satate
Member # 8082

- posted      Profile for satate   Email satate         Edit/Delete Post 
I had the same problems that Would Be had. For the first three sentences I thought that the doctor was the POV and then it seemed to switch to Fenton. Starting the first sentence with something that Fenton is doing would help to clear it up.

The second sentence felt like a mouthful and I found myself reading it rather slow. I would abbreviate docotor and only give Fenton one name. You can introduce the second name later.

I found it hard to believe that Dr. Porcine had such a hard time moving. I've found that very large men can move quick when they want to, but not for very long. Unless he is morbidly obese he should be able to at least sprint down a long hallway, and if he is that large I am wondering how he can even hold down a job and fit in a chair.

I like how you start off in the middle of action and the first sentence grabs my notice. I am curious how the story unfolds.

Posts: 968 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PB&Jenny
Member # 9200

Thanks satate. This is a world where everyone is extremely obese except for Fenton and his three companions (introduced later). I'm still having problems twisting this scene into a better one. I have two others that might work better as chapter starters but not for the hook. I'll keep at it.

PB

DerekBalsam
Member # 8471

- posted      Profile for DerekBalsam   Email DerekBalsam         Edit/Delete Post 
You start in with action, and the lines certainly capture my interest because you do. Kudos for that.

I get the impression right up front from the name 'Dr Porcine' that there are comedy elements to this story. Am I right?

The line "Fenton had had enough of this crazy place and wanted out" seems to be 'telling' instead of 'showing'. We already know Fenton wants out - he's trying to escape, after all.

I won't repeat the other assessments, which I generally agree with.

Nice start.

Posts: 67 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bemused
Member # 8465

- posted      Profile for bemused   Email bemused         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the opening overall. The escape of a patients is a strong starting event for a story and beginning in the middle of the escape works well here. The story did have a slightly comedic feel to it as DerekBalsam pointed out, and if that is the case a stronger sense of comedy would be appreciated, otherwise its not quite clear what genre we are in.

Since the writing is very strong I will not hold back on some nits. I don't know if Doctor Porcine would need to add "He's trying to escape!" to his yell of stop that man. Assuming that Fenton is still dressed like a patient the orderlies will help the doctor without explanation and if the Doctor is so overweight he may be too out of breath to add the second line. I realize that you are setting the scene, and so maybe it is the most efficient way to explain the scenario.

Seconding WouldBe, the first few lines had me thinking that the Doctor was the MC. Even moving the detail of the Dr. clutching his chest to after the line about Fenton wanting out would help center the story on Fenton. Also switching the "Fortunately for the doctor" with an "Unfortunately for Fenton" would also help establish him as the MC. As I said, these are small points that may help tighten a strong beginning, well done.

Posts: 99 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PB&Jenny
Member # 9200

Thank you for your critiques. I've run this through a couple of times on my computer. It's better using all the suggestions but it feels like I'm missing something.

Any other ideas/suggestions?

Osiris
Member # 9196

- posted      Profile for Osiris   Email Osiris         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi PBJ,

I didn't read the other comments on purpose, so I wouldn't be influenced by it. If I repeat something that someone said, thats a good indication that you should address it

I think you are getting too particular in the details here:

"The extremely overweight doctor, not used to moving on his own, clutched his fist to his chest from the exertion, even though he had only jogged 15 feet from his office. The doctor was 60 feet from his patient but it would take him several minutes to force himself to travel the entire distance to apprehend him. "

I think going into the details of distances so precisely is slowing down this paragraph. Also, you can be more efficient in some of the wording. For example, replace "extremely overweight" with "obese".

Also, before this part, you say the doctor is shuffling, but then you say he was jogging. Maybe you can replace shuffled with "lumbered.
"
I might try something like this:

Fenton Marshall, recently pronounced suicide risk, bolted for the exit of the hospital that imprisoned him.
“Stop that man! He’s trying to escape!” yelled the psychiatrist as he lumbered after his patient.
The obese doctor, unused to moving on his own, clutched his fist to his chest as if to keep it from pounding its way out. His fugitive patient was at the far end of the hall but the doctor was exhausted before he closed half the distance.

Notice I struck the use of "mental patient." We get this from the fact he is a suicide risk, in a hospital, being pursued by a doctor. So the mental patient phrase is redundant.

[This message has been edited by Osiris (edited August 16, 2010).]

Posts: 1043 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
axeminister
Member # 8991

- posted      Profile for axeminister   Email axeminister         Edit/Delete Post 
---------
Fenton Marshall, recently pronounced mental patient and suicide risk bolted for the exit doors of the hospital he was trapped in.
“Stop that man! He’s trying to escape!” yelled the psychiatrist as he shuffled after his patient. The extremely overweight doctor, not used to moving on his own, clutched his fist to his chest from the exertion, even though he had only jogged 15 feet from his office. The doctor was 60 feet from his patient but it would take him several minutes to force himself to travel the entire distance to apprehend him.
Fenton had had enough of this crazy place and wanted out. He knew he wasn’t crazy. He knew his three friends he had gotten here with weren’t crazy either. And he knew that they didn’t belong in this crazy world where everyone was extremely fat! And liked it! He got
------------

Jenny, you should edit your post to the above.
Your 2nd entry is way over 13 lines.

My comments -
It's very telling. I know you want to give us this info, but if you can, try to give it through character.

This starts in the middle of the action - which is OK - but in this case I don't think it's the right place because while we know Fenton wants to get out, what's more interesting to me is how he got there. I say that because you're creating an entire world where things are a little off and you may find yourself in telling or back story mode to explain it. Which may not be the best vehicle for character.

An example might be: Fenton is sitting at a prohibition veggie cafe when it gets raided. The heavy officers break down the door and despite their large size they can move. He gets locked up, not in jail, but the nut house. He's not overweight so he must be crazy.

Now you've started with some action, and a character with a problem, and are on your way toward explaining your world without having "told" the reader your world.

The above is just off the hip, so please don't think I'm telling you to write that scene, it's just an example.

Also, I don't believe you should use numbers in place of words. One of these days I'm going to look up the "official" rules on that, but I'd stick with words in the case of your measurements.

Axe

[This message has been edited by axeminister (edited August 16, 2010).]

Posts: 1543 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
axeminister
Member # 8991

- posted      Profile for axeminister   Email axeminister         Edit/Delete Post 
I had another thought.
You're either going to like me or hate me after my posts.

Anyway. Imagine this is a movie and you go to the theater not knowing the title or having seen a preview.

You sit and the lights go dim and you much some popcorn and it starts.

A man is running down the hall of a mental hospital. That we can see. A very overweight man yells "stop him". He's out of breath and clutching his chest.
The would be escapee hits the front doors and can't get out.

So far - that's all we know because that's all we've seen.
We really don't know Fenton isn't a killer and the good guy is the psychiatrist.

OSC says - SHOW a scene. TELL between scenes.

Now, if this is meant to be funny then Fenton is playing the straight man. Perhaps the psychiatrist wheezes out of his office while holding an Italian sub. He spits his food out while yelling "Stop him!" But then shrugs his shoulders and keeps eating.

Or take it a step further and he picks up the food from the floor, brushes it on his ample belly, and eats it.

Now you've shown me what's more important. You can introduce other overweight people as Fenton encounters them, but now we have a hint at absurdity and that all is not right with the world. The crazy people are in charge and someone is trying to escape a world gone wrong.

Anyway, just throwing this out there.

Axe

Posts: 1543 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DerekBalsam
Member # 8471

- posted      Profile for DerekBalsam   Email DerekBalsam         Edit/Delete Post 
Just a thought on your second version. You have the line " he knew that they didn’t belong in this crazy world where everyone was extremely fat!" It seems to me that this is just the kind of things you wouldn't tell your readers -- leave this as something unusual about your world for them to notice themselves.
Posts: 67 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ethereon
Member # 9133

- posted      Profile for Ethereon   Email Ethereon         Edit/Delete Post 
Also if everyone except the Mc and company was fat, would it still be called fat? Just a thought.
Posts: 291 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PB&Jenny
Member # 9200

I love you guys! Are you kidding me? You've put into words what my brain couldn't see because I was trying to figure out how to use the scene instead of why this didn't strike me as the right start. That was my real problem!
I love the suggestions, and I'll be using them for this scene but in it's correct place!
You're right about the numbers thing, Osiris and axeminister. I think the rule for numbers is to use numbers until 12 and then write out everything else above that. I think. Don't quote me on that.
But having read these critiques (especially axe's about the absurdity issue, which is dead on) I could beat myself with a hammer! Staring at me in the face!!
I will definitely not do the flashback thingy that I was sure would have to be the fix. Yay! You guys are great!

PB

thomaskcarpenter
Member # 9192

- posted      Profile for thomaskcarpenter   Email thomaskcarpenter         Edit/Delete Post 
Checking the Chicago Manual of Style for rules on numbers, it lists this. The following are spelled out: whole numbers from one through one hundred, round numbers and any number beginning a sentence. For other numbers, numerals are used.

Hope that helps. They also list some special cases, but I don't think any of yours are those.

Posts: 118 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PB&Jenny
Member # 9200

Does that apply only to Chicago? j/k

Thanks. I'm glad someone knows for sure.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.