Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Preacher Man

Author Topic: Preacher Man
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
The river rolls my bones and cool waters touch my broken flesh. Sand scours my anemic wounds and small, silver fish consume me-- bite by bite. Sometimes I strike a rock as I tumble down rapids; bones crack and spear my glassy skin. Stagnant blood seeps out and turns the water black.
For two days and a night I have drifted downstream.
By the time I reach the open sea, I shall be threads of meat, shards of bones and bloody smears across a hundred rocks--but mostly, I know, I shall be in the bellies of a thousand fish.
I hear a cry and then firm hands grasp me. A man gags as he hauls me to the stones of the riverbank. He retches a few times and fluids splatter noisily on the pebbles; the wind drives the bitter smell to my nose; I'd turn away, but I can't, so I watch the clouds

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chalkdustfairy
Member # 9175

- posted      Profile for chalkdustfairy   Email chalkdustfairy         Edit/Delete Post 
Is this a human or some other creature? I didn't understand 'anemic' wound. Were you talking about a bloodless wound because I think (could be wrong) that anemic is a something different.

I like the writing, I just don't know if I buy the idea that 'it' could be conscious of everything that's happening to 'it' through two days and a night.

I liked the last part, though. I'd believe 'it' was conscious then.

Posts: 42 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NoTimeToThink
Member # 5174

- posted      Profile for NoTimeToThink   Email NoTimeToThink         Edit/Delete Post 
Like the concept.
The way this reads, I think you literally meant that some post-life intelligence was travelling down stream, still anchored to it's already dead body. I don't think it's still alive - should have drowned by now, even ignoring the body's condition.
If this was your intent, you've succeeded.

[This message has been edited by NoTimeToThink (edited September 01, 2010).]

Posts: 406 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andersonmcdonald
Member # 8641

- posted      Profile for andersonmcdonald   Email andersonmcdonald         Edit/Delete Post 
I like this. Great hook, nice description. I felt cold and wet just reading it. No real nits. I'm intrigued to say the least, wondering where you're going with this.
Posts: 456 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

It is as NoTimeToThink said. And it was human.

[This message has been edited by skadder (edited September 01, 2010).]

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bemused
Member # 8465

- posted      Profile for bemused   Email bemused         Edit/Delete Post 
Very eerie and gripping opening. It is quite the challenge you have set for yourself, telling a story from the perspective of a dead body (or at least it seems that way). Your MC is an entirely passive character (outside of thoughts so far), which in any other case would be a deal breaker, but given the context is perfect here. It certainly helps that you have maintained the passivity of the actions, the sense of a lack of ability to move, without slipping into constant passive voice. The body is doing things like striking rocks, hearing things and drifting, but it never comes across like the living dead.

I agree that “anemic wounds” doesn’t quite read right, though the MC is certainly anemic, in the sense of lacking vitality. It’s a good word that could be used elsewhere (despite its strong medical connection with anemia).

My one small quibble, and this could be rendered moot by the rest of the story, is the apparent self-separation of the body. What I mean by this is that the MC identifies the skin as “my skin” but the bones that puncture it are treated as an external or not part of the self. It did make me pause and question my assumption that I was reading the perspective of a dead body. Of course maybe it is something else, more like a spirit trapped in a dead body? As I said, the rest of the story would probably clear that up.

I wonder how well a passive/immobile MC works on a longer scale. How long is the story (or are you aiming to make it)? Based on the first 13 I would certainly read on. Are you looking for readers? Because I would be glad to take a look.

Posts: 99 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

I think this will be perhaps at most a few thousand words, but may be as short as 1500. I have written beyond this intro, but on a few hundred words. When it is done I'll email those interested and see if they still want to do a read through for me.
PB&Jenny
Member # 9200

- posted      Profile for PB&Jenny   Email PB&Jenny         Edit/Delete Post 
Very intriguing concept. I can envision a spirit on a quest to solve or avenge it's murder. Lots of space to run with this storyline. I'd love to read it.

PB

Posts: 365 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm, read this a week or so ago but obviously didn't say anything, not sure why.

Could be that there's not much I can say. Nice descriptions, I can see everything clearly, almost to clearly in a couple cases.

I wonder why he is stuck in his body but that probably comes after the 13 lines. His senses are working but he must not be feeling any pain and not because he's drunk.

That's about it. Maybe make sure that he is human or if not what he is at the beginning but other than than I got nothing.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WouldBe
Member # 5682

- posted      Profile for WouldBe   Email WouldBe         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, super opening. No quibbles. I'd be happy to read when it's done, if you need more readers.
Posts: 746 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

Just writing it now.
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
I just read it, and if you want to read it before a magazine charges you full price for the privilege, I'd beg him to have it show it to you too.
Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

Thanks Frank, but don't build it up too much!

I'll send this to the few people that are still interested (say you want it on this thread). I am not looking for any line crits, just opinions if the story generally works as it is presented.

It's 1500 words, so pretty short and has been re-titled 'Preacher Man'.

[This message has been edited by skadder (edited September 09, 2010).]

thomaskcarpenter
Member # 9192

- posted      Profile for thomaskcarpenter   Email thomaskcarpenter         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm curious. I'll give it a read if you'd like.
Posts: 118 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Osiris
Member # 9196

- posted      Profile for Osiris   Email Osiris         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd be happy to read if you like.
Posts: 1043 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bemused
Member # 8465

- posted      Profile for bemused   Email bemused         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm still interested, send it my way if you can.
Posts: 99 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

Sent to three, so far.
Twiggy
Member # 9209

- posted      Profile for Twiggy   Email Twiggy         Edit/Delete Post 
Very good. Sent my thoughts by email.
Posts: 84 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

Yeah, thanks, got that.
Osiris
Member # 9196

Just finished reading it as well. Beautifully told story, I enjoyed it. I've sent my feedback via email to you.
Posts: 1043 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

Thank you--a well-detailed crit.
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
I do have one problem. You spelled 'River' with an l in the title of this topic. That might get you a rejection.
Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

I didn't spot that! Whoops.
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
So that wasn't on purpose, skadder?

Want me to change it?

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

Thanks, but I wouldn't worry. I have changed the title to Preacher Man, anyway.
skadder
Member # 6757

Thanks, but I wouldn't worry. I have changed the title to Preacher Man, anyway.

Edit: Yes, please. It may help me to find it if I search for the thread at some point in the future.

Osiris
Member # 9196

I'll confess I did like the original title but I see why you changed it after reading the story.
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, skadder, but just for clarification's sake, am I correct in thinking that you want me to change the title of the topic to Preacher Man?

And with or without ellipses?

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

Yes, Kathy, Preacher Man, but you can drop the ellipses. Thanks!

[This message has been edited by skadder (edited September 15, 2010).]

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

Done! Sorry to take so long.

Kathleen

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
I think "Preacher Man" makes a more intriguing title.

Is the preacher man: the guy in the water, the guy who finds him-maybe tries to help him or doesn't know what he has, some other reference we don't know yet?

Hmmm...

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

Thanks, Kathleen.

Sorry.

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

No problem, skadder.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.