Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Sheep Dreams New Draft

Author Topic: Sheep Dreams New Draft
andersonmcdonald
Member # 8641

- posted      Profile for andersonmcdonald   Email andersonmcdonald         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's the first thirteen of the new draft. I've gotten two very good critiques on this, but I wanted to know how this new beginning works for those who haven't read the whole story.

The chores were done, the plow was stowed away, and nine-year-old Ansel Marric was sneaking a smoke behind the barn.
He had found the perfect pipe, a stubby bit of willow with a crook in it - not quite the same shape as his father’s pipe but near enough. He had just placed the twig between his teeth and was about to light it with an imaginary flame when he heard his dog barking from the front yard, making him jump. He quickly tossed the pretend pipe into the bushes, a lump of fear catching in his throat. If his mother caught him smoking he was as good as dead, even if it was the make-believe kind.
He hurried from his hiding place, slowing before he turned the corner of the small thatched-roof dwelling where he and his parents lived. I finished my chores, mother, he thought, rehears

Posts: 456 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

- posted      Profile for JenniferHicks   Email JenniferHicks         Edit/Delete Post 
The first sentence doesn't hook me, and I think it's because it's telling, not showing. The second sentence is great. I would start there. One quibble: There's no speculative element in the first 13.

One more quibble: I'd cut "making him jump." Doesn't add much and seems to interrupt the flow of the action.

Good luck with this.

Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kimlin
Member # 9239

- posted      Profile for Kimlin   Email Kimlin         Edit/Delete Post 
I like it, it reminds me of gentle rolling type stories like James Herriot (Yorkshire Vet)
Posts: 49 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PB&Jenny
Member # 9200

- posted      Profile for PB&Jenny   Email PB&Jenny         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree. Good story, I like the flow, but find a way to meld the first and second sentences. Here's my suggestion.

quote:
Ansel Marric had found the perfect pipe. It was a stubby bit of willow with a crook in it - not quite the same shape as his father’s pipe but near enough. He sat down behind the barn for a secret smoke. He deserved a smoke after all the chores he'd done. He was nine, after all.

He had just placed the twig between his teeth

Good luck with it.

PB

Posts: 365 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andersonmcdonald
Member # 8641

- posted      Profile for andersonmcdonald   Email andersonmcdonald         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the comments.

Jennifer - No, there isn't any hint of speculative element in the first thirteen. It comes a later. I think I agree with you about "making him jump".

Kimlin - Thanks! I'm glad it reminded you of All Creatures Great and Small. But I think the ending will shatter that comparison.

PB&Jenny - I'll try to rework the opening lines. Thanks!

Posts: 456 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
XD3V0NX
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Jennifer and Jenny. Good story, but the first sentence doesn't hook me.

Also, the last sentence kind of throws me off. I think it's because you couldn't finish the sentence due to the first thirteen line rule, but it already states that he finished his chores at the beginning. What gets me is that he "thinks" it, instead of actually "saying" it. It feels like you're just saying it over again. But that's just my opinion.

Maybe you could just get rid of that thought, or have him think something different that doesn't sound so repetitive, or just include it in actual dialogue when he's speaking to her. I like my third option best.

Again, it's just my opinion.

Good luck.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
The prose is nice, but I'm not hooked.

[This message has been edited by skadder (edited September 02, 2010).]

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Osiris
Member # 9196

- posted      Profile for Osiris   Email Osiris         Edit/Delete Post 
Good prose, as mentioned. I would second the comment about cutting "making him jump." The first line isn't strong, second one is stronger.

I think cutting the first line would get you to the hook a bit faster, which I think would be "what startled the dog"

How about instead of him throwing away the pipe, he is so startled by the dogs bark that he drops it?

I'd also lose the part about mother catching him with it. First, I don't think it adds that much, and second, I find it hard to believe she'd punish him for pretend pipe smoking. I get the idea that maybe he is startled because Mother is coming, but that would make me ask: Why is the dog barking at mother, does she not live with them?

[This message has been edited by Osiris (edited September 03, 2010).]

Posts: 1043 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gan
Member # 8405

- posted      Profile for Gan   Email Gan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The chores were done, the plow was stowed away, and nine-year-old Ansel Marric was sneaking a smoke behind the barn.

This sentence doesn't feel very active to be a start. These things have already happened. That said, it does establish a who, what, and where, so I don't mind too much (personally).

quote:
He had found the perfect pipe, a stubby bit of willow with a crook in it - not quite the same shape as his father’s pipe but near enough.

We're being told of more things that have already happened. It doesn't bother me too much, but I have to wonder if all of this is needed information, and if it might be possible to simply write it out in a more active manner.

quote:
He had just placed the twig between his teeth and was about to light it with an imaginary flame when he heard his dog barking from the front yard, making him jump.

This seems a bit long and passive, particularly because the first two sentences were both similar in structure. Perhaps the sentence would read better if less passive, and the child's response to the stimulus (Dog barking) were in a separate sentence?

Example. "He placed the twig between his teeth and lit it with an imaginary flame. The dog barked. Ansel jumped."

quote:
He quickly tossed the pretend pipe into the bushes, a lump of fear catching in his throat. If his mother caught him smoking he was as good as dead, even if it was the make-believe kind.

Hmm. I'm not sure I care for the "lump of fear catching in his throat". It seems a bit dramatic for the circumstances, unless his mother is truly a monster. My other minor issue here is that I previously had no idea of any bushes.

My main issue is that things start out so passively.

These are all of course my own opinions, and I'm certainly no professional. Take them with a grain of salt.

Posts: 260 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kimlin
Member # 9239

ooh can I read it lol I love the idea of gentle rolling, Gervaise Phinn/James Herriot type story with a bite at the end? OK you hooked me

It is actually more James Herriot children's stories it reminds me of that or Katie Morag even.

This seems such a delicious premise to me.

Posts: 49 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andersonmcdonald
Member # 8641

Kimlin - I'll send it out if you want.
Kimlin
Member # 9239

please do
andersonmcdonald
Member # 8641

And I appreciate all the comments, everyone. Thanks!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.