Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Lanterns of the North

Author Topic: Lanterns of the North
Kimlin
Member # 9239

- posted      Profile for Kimlin   Email Kimlin         Edit/Delete Post 
I know this is naff and badly written, it is a story I feel obligated to write and want to get written before I move house. It is about the ruined cathedral two minutes walk from house and two ladies intrinsically linked to it. Miss Pozzi is the custodian from this century and Marjory Gilzean is worth googling her story is amazing. It is completely outside of my comfort zone I studied history at university and that seems to hamper me I write like an essay. Any help just to get me started appreciated I am aiming for a short story. The story is set in North East Scotland and will be intended for the local area, it includes some local phrases
Haar= sea mist; Stovies = a meat and potato dish.

Her small lantern lights the way through the heavy haar obscuring the cathedral from view as Miss Pozzi makes her final checks for the night. She carefully picks over the graves saying good-night to her parents, Wee Mary and Captain Duncan's wee lad. She pulls her father's heavy wool coat around her, it is colder tonight than usual. Then she hears it and her heart sinks. She desperately wants to head back to her small cottage at the gates of the cathedral. Not tonight, the stovies she had left warming would be ready when she returned.

Jessie signs and enters the chapel. 'Jessie so good to see you.'

'You too Marjory,' says Jessie

[This message has been edited by Kimlin (edited September 07, 2010).]

Posts: 49 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm, I don't think this is so badly written. Not as good as should be perhaps but not terrible either.

I believe the first sentence should be broken up, maybe give a bit of a warning that something strange is about to happen.

Maybe give a hint of why her heart sunk when she heard what she heard. Or does that come soon after their greeting?

I would be curious if what she fears is harm to herself, having to do something horrible or having to use some power-authority to help someone.

There probably is more that could be said but that's all I have hopefully you don't have the whole thing written by now.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
Why have you put mist in brackets?

[This message has been edited by skadder (edited September 06, 2010).]

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kimlin
Member # 9239

Purely because haar is a scots dialect word. In a final draft I would probably use the latin system of footnotes for translation of the words I used that are peculiar to the area the story is set in. I want to create the image that something scary is about to happen..

I think her heart sinking will probably be explained as it goes along, basic plot is lady from the 1920s meets Marjory from the late 1700s. Marjory is a lady with a fragmented mind, she ran away with a man called Andrew Anderson a soldier, against her families wishes.

Three years later Marjory comes back with her mind broken with what she has seen, and a babe in arms. She lives in the ruins of the 13th Century ruined cathedral, bringing her baby up in the Lady Chapel, his crib is a basin the priests would have washed their hands in. Her baby grows up to be General Anderson an incredibly wealthy man who builds a huge institute in the town within eyeline of the place he was brought up.

The intention is then to have Miss Pozzi and Majory have a gentle conversation. Marjory is a heavily emotional lady, but ends with her finally understanding what happened to her baby, Jessie takes the ghost out of the chapel for the first time.

I have been thinking about writing this story for ten years - really feel these ladies deserve something.

[This message has been edited by Kimlin (edited September 06, 2010).]

Posts: 49 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
Putting stuff in brackets is usually the reserve of first person POV (I may be wrong), but certainly it breaks the flow. Scary is achieved by reader immersion and anything that cuts into that should be avoided.

If it is a mist, then call it a mist.

[This message has been edited by skadder (edited September 06, 2010).]

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kimlin
Member # 9239

The story is set in the North East of Scotland the mist that comes in off the sea is a haar. My intended market with the story is local to the area.

It was purely a courtesy for people reading it on the board. When I am writing the story I am including glossary footnotes for things like Stovies and Haar.

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Words that are foreign to the readers are usually italicized, by the way.

Since this is intended for people who would not consider words like haar to be foreign, you wouldn't need to italicize it in your manuscript.

However, for those of us who would consider it foreign, it would help if you were to tell us at the beginning of your post what the word means and why it isn't foreign to the intended readers.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kimlin
Member # 9239

Thanks guess I struggle with the idea my own language is foreign, also it is dialect as opposed foreign language lol Have edited the post accordingly.

[This message has been edited by Kimlin (edited September 07, 2010).]

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, if the words in the dialect are "foreign" to your readers because they are particular to a dialect your readers are not acquainted with, then they qualify as foreign even if, in general, you both speak the "same language."

The thing is, the dialect retains words that are no longer part of the common vernacular, words that have to be defined (or inferred from the context).

Foreign isn't a bad thing, you know. I think your dialect words add color and depth to your 13 lines.

(Which reminds me. I remember being a little amused a few years ago by a remark from a young girl who was appalled to learn that people from other countries were occasionally referred to as "aliens." She was appalled because the only meaning she knew of for that word was "people from outer space," and she had no idea that the term originally meant "strange" or "foreign" and had been used to refer to extra-terrestrials only recently. I didn't tell her that "alienist" was what people used to call psychologists.)

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kimlin
Member # 9239

I guess I need to plug on lol decided to write it for a competition at end of the month thought it would make me get it done.

My trouble is noone knows where Marjory was from 1746-48 or what shattered her mind. Think that is where the fiction may need to come in.

PB&Jenny
Member # 9200

- posted      Profile for PB&Jenny   Email PB&Jenny         Edit/Delete Post 
I think this will be a wonderful short story. I just want to know something. Who is Jessie? You have written;
quote:

Jessie signs and enters the chapel. 'Jessie so good to see you.'

'You too Marjory,' says Jessie

I'm pretty sure you are saying Jessie makes the sign of the cross before entering the chapel. Am I right?
But you have Jessie in all three sentences. Did Marjory say 'Jessie, so good to see you.'? Or did Jessie say that?

If Marjory did say, so good to see you, then this should be a separate indention, I think, denoting another speaker.

Hope it helps.

PB

Posts: 365 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.