Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Boundless (4000 words)

Author Topic: Boundless (4000 words)
Zenner
Member # 9375

- posted      Profile for Zenner           Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everyone, my first post here. I am looking for anyone that wants to give this a full read, too. It's for a contest on On the Premises that wants it to be a short story about a character questing for the answer to some question. (Due January 29th)
___
That blasted CloudwalkeržOlin thought as he clutched his makeshift knife in his sweaty grip. That cursed White Hand dog.
He was trying to work up the courage, the hatred, to do it. He had never killed anyone before, and despite what he thought about the men who had killed his parents, something about murdering one still felt wrong to him. A nagging feeling inside of him that told him there had to be another way to get to the Cloud Dunes.
Then he knew what it was. It made him feel like one of them.
Olin pushed the guilt from his mind. This was necessary. It was right. Most importantly, it was the only way for him to know for sure what made them different from the Earthenbound. He had to go up and see for himself.

[This message has been edited by Zenner (edited January 12, 2011).]

Posts: 21 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
I am unclear where this is all happening.

Is Olin on a hill? in a monastery? There is nothing that describes anything external to him apart from the knife and his sweaty palms. I like to build up a picture, but there is nothing to build up here--it is mostly internal attitudes and info-dumping.

I don't find myself agreeing with his reason to kill - 'to find out what made them different' seems a little spurious and makes your character seem a little hot-headed.

There are a lot of unexplained terms: Cloudwalker; White Hand dog; Cloud Dunes; Earthenbound. Too many unexplained terms simply fosters confusion and makes me feel less engaged--they don't hook me.

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foste
Member # 8892

- posted      Profile for Foste   Email Foste         Edit/Delete Post 
The unexplained terms don't bother me much, but you should not keep it a secret for too long.

A few additional bits of information would be helpful to introduce the milieu and get the scene really working.

That being said I think you got a nice conflict brewing there.

Posts: 628 | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reziac
Member # 9345

- posted      Profile for Reziac   Email Reziac         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's a good start. Olin is caught in a serious conflict and isn't really equipped (emotionally or even with a good knife!) to deal with it. Violence among factions puts him and others at risk (too late for his parents). Sounds like it should make a good story.

A few things I noted:

A nagging feeling inside of him
You don't need the "inside of him" part, unless his feeling is outside of him <!!> -- being it's a nice tight personal POV, whose else would it be? <g>

know for sure what made them different from the Earthenbound
Made who different? I assume you're referring to one of those other factions but I still tripped over this.

Also, I probably would have made it "more important" rather than "most importantly", just to cut a syllable and get a more intense forward rhythm. "Most" puts a sense of finality on his thoughts, when he really isn't that sure yet.

Personally I have come to dislike the construction "pushed whatever from his mind" even tho I've wound up using it a few times myself. Despite being a reasonable shorthand for "lots of verbiage about how we stopped thinking about whatever", it always makes it seem like it was too easy for the character to do. <grumble> You might substitute a simple "No." for the entire phrase.

Nits aside, overall I like it. Also, I think the various terms (Cloudwalker, White Hand, etc.) fit together thematically.

Posts: 782 | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
melindabrasher
Member # 9373

- posted      Profile for melindabrasher           Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's a little heavy on the introspection. Try interspersing the thoughts with little action (even just creeping a step forward or readjusting his grip on the knife.)

I also got a little confused with all the names and terms.

The hook is compelling. Tough moral dilemma. Carry on.

Posts: 32 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zenner
Member # 9375

Thanks all, great comments.
Posts: 21 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EVOC
Member # 9381

- posted      Profile for EVOC   Email EVOC         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I like the story idea.

I am not really worried about the lack of a description as to a setting, but hopefully you address that soon.

I did find the unknown terms (i.e. Earthbound) to be a bit excessive for the first 13 lines.

Otherwise, I would be eager to know how it proceeds.

Posts: 725 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zenner
Member # 9375

Thanks.

[This message has been edited by Zenner (edited January 16, 2011).]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.