Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Faceless Angels

Author Topic: Faceless Angels
Fahrion Kryptov
Member # 1544

- posted      Profile for Fahrion Kryptov   Email Fahrion Kryptov         Edit/Delete Post 
I was browsing a writing forum and ran across a writing contest that intrigued me, so I wrote up a short story based on the guidelines. It's very short (<600 words) I'd like to see what you guys think, and if you have any ideas on it. The deadline isn't until March 11, so I have time for review and edits. It required the use of at least one of 25 pictures and one of 21 quotes. I chose this picture:

http://tinyurl.com/5vbt48o

and these quotes:
9. Each individual carries a world within himself. [Unknown]
20. Death makes angels of us all and gives us wings where we had shoulders smooth as ravens claws. [Jim Morrison]

So here's my entry: It's called "Faceless Angels"

Thunder rumbled and echoed through the cavernous rooms of the empty castle. The relentless wind whistled endlessly through the chinks and rattled the ancient windows. Then, suddenly, the storm was over and the wind died. In the deepening silence, not even the breathing of the twelve soldiers could be heard, nor the officer who stood before them, watching the trembling woman who cowered before them. In perfect file, dressed in black unmarked uniforms, each bearing an unmarked, perfectly oiled rifle at their sides, and completely immobile, they could have been mistaken by any passer-by who might make them out of the murky hall as statues of some damned army.

Presently, a regular, precise clicking could be heard. Click, click, click came the sound of heels on ancient stone, drawing near.

[This message has been edited by Fahrion Kryptov (edited January 30, 2011).]

Posts: 101 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wordcaster
Member # 9183

- posted      Profile for Wordcaster   Email Wordcaster         Edit/Delete Post 
600 words? Impressive. I am yet to write a flash I am happy with.

The biggest issue I am having is the lack of establishing a narrative viewpoint. Whose eyes are we looking through?

Also, can you perhaps break up the last two sentences of the first paragraph? The second one in particular seems to be a bit of a run-on.

You did a nice job of describing the setting- I can visualize the castle in my mind and the way the storm echoes through its large rooms.

Posts: 475 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EVOC
Member # 9381

- posted      Profile for EVOC   Email EVOC         Edit/Delete Post 
I can see the the setting perfectly. Like Wordcaster, I wanted to know whose eyes we were looking through.

I have a hard enough time being under 7,000 words, let alone 600.

Posts: 725 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fahrion Kryptov
Member # 1544

- posted      Profile for Fahrion Kryptov   Email Fahrion Kryptov         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I lied. I woke up last night and added 900 lines. The POV is third person on the officer.

Although now I'm confused. The extra lines add more to the story (I guess). Followed through with what was set up in the first 600. Except it now seems more like "How Johnny joined the dark army of village slaughterers" than an insight into insight into the humanity of men who seem like monsters.

So I've decided to hold off on critique until I've determined the scope of my story. Thanks for the feedback on the first 13. On a second look, it does need to be broken up.

Posts: 101 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NoTimeToThink
Member # 5174

- posted      Profile for NoTimeToThink   Email NoTimeToThink         Edit/Delete Post 
Although I like the picture you're painting, I was concerned about the "extra words" that you really can't afford if your story is only 600. You have adjectives that in some cases are simply unnecessary, and at other times are repeating what you've already said. Here is your original post trimmed down (just as an example, since you plan to rewrite):
quote:
Thunder echoed through the empty castle. The relentless wind whistled through the chinks and rattled the ancient windows. Suddenly, the storm was over. In the silence, not even the breathing of the twelve soldiers and their officer could be heard, watching the woman who cowered before them. Dressed in black unmarked uniforms, each bearing a perfectly oiled rifle, and completely immobile, they could have been mistaken in the murky hall as statues.
Click, click, click came the sound of heels on ancient stone, drawing near.

Keep it tight...

[This message has been edited by NoTimeToThink (edited January 30, 2011).]

Posts: 406 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reziac
Member # 9345

- posted      Profile for Reziac   Email Reziac         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the imagery too. Dark and brooding. Feels like it wants to be more than flash fic, tho.

OT... when folks have a long URL in a post, it messes up the linewrap ... I'm having to sidescroll like mad to read these posts. If you use TinyURL the problem goes away.

For handiness, bookmark

javascript:void(location.href='http://tinyurl.com/create.php?url='+location.href)

and put it on your toolbar; it will automagically make the current page into a short link, suitable for posting.

Posts: 782 | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Or you can use UBB code to create a link in your post.

The link in my previous paragraph will take you to the page that shows you how to code links. And if you click on the pencil and paper (edit) icon for this post, you will see how I used the code to create the link.

You can go directly to the page by clicking on the words

*UBB Code is ON

which are underlined and immediately to the left of any reply box on the forum.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.