Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Nova's Gambit -- 1600 words

Author Topic: Nova's Gambit -- 1600 words
Wordcaster
Member # 9183

- posted      Profile for Wordcaster   Email Wordcaster         Edit/Delete Post 
I actually wrote this a month ago, but revisited it in an attempt to trim it down (another failed attempt at flash)

Crits on first 13 (or if you want to read the whole thing) are welcome.

quote:
Larkin waits. He sits beneath the shade of the veranda as the sun's warmth bends around the eaves overhead and melts the ice of his lemonade. He takes a sip and the cold liquid refreshes him. The shrinking ice cubes kiss his lips and remind him of home, far from the grasp of the hostile sun.

He hears the familiar sound of an electric motor whirring from down the street. Villanova approaches in his motorized chair, wheels spinning as fast as the turbine fan blades of their starship. He stops in front of a street vendor and turns around, waiting. A man with a grease-stained apron runs toward him, brandishing a frying pan like a tomahawk. His dark-skinned face scowls with fury. Larkin doesn't flinch.

Posts: 475 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
axeminister
Member # 8991

- posted      Profile for axeminister   Email axeminister         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey WC,

Your writing is refined. I had no problem with the mechanics of the 13.

Unfortunately, I have no idea what's going on. Also, the clash of locations makes me go huh? And the present tense is tough. Not because you didn't write it well - but because I'm not used to it. I believe synopsises are written that way. Personally, I find it difficult and distracting.

Nits:

Grasp of the hostile sun. To grasp something is to hold it. How is he being held by the sun? If he's in his ship and in its gravity well or something, okay. If not, grasp may not be the right word.

Villanova approaches. This early I'd like to know who Villanova is. I think it's okay to say "his friend Villanova," or "the ship's pilot, Villanova."

Villanova approaches and I expect them to meet, then Villanova stops in front of a street vendor. I had the MC alone based on the pace of the first paragraph. He's chillin with some summery lemonade and taking his time doing it. (based on the melting ice comment) Where do street vendors fit in? This is the odd juxtaposition I refer to in my first paragraph.

Someone's going to kill Villanova with a frying pan? There's fury, but I don't know why so I don't yet care. However, I do care that Larkin is going to watch someone who is handicapped and can't defend himself get whacked and not do anything about it.

This makes me not like Larkin. Good characterization if that's what you were going for.

Granted, I don't know the next few lines. All this could get sorted out - but these are my impressions off the bat.

Axe

Posts: 1543 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foste
Member # 8892

- posted      Profile for Foste   Email Foste         Edit/Delete Post 
Send me the whole story Wordcaster. I am intrigued.
Posts: 628 | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EVOC
Member # 9381

- posted      Profile for EVOC   Email EVOC         Edit/Delete Post 
I like it too, email me the whole thing too. I would be happy to take a look.
Posts: 725 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NoTimeToThink
Member # 5174

- posted      Profile for NoTimeToThink   Email NoTimeToThink         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the first paragraph - the picture you're painting intrigues me.
The 2nd paragraph experiences a little pronoun confusion:
quote:
He (obviously Larkin) hears the familiar sound of an electric motor whirring from down the street. Villanova approaches in his motorized chair, wheels spinning as fast as the turbine fan blades of their starship. He stops in front of a street vendor and turns around, waiting. A man with a grease-stained apron runs toward him, brandishing a frying pan like a tomahawk. His (whose? Villanova, or the wielder of the frying pan of doom?) dark-skinned face scowls with fury. Larkin doesn't flinch. (to me, if Larkin doesn't flinch, it suggests that the attack might actually be against Larkin instead of Villanova)
- clear that up and it looks like an interesting start. Aside from the confusion, you have the introduction of 2 important characters, the knowledge that a starship is/was involved, and a manifest threat - hooky enough for me.
You can send me the whole thing if you'd like.

Posts: 406 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Utahute72
Member # 9057

- posted      Profile for Utahute72   Email Utahute72         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't like the whole "ice kised his lips" thing, seemed a little too flowery for me. I prefer a more directed action. like

quote:
The coolness of the drink in his hand reminded him of home, far away from the hostile sun of this world.

I'd be happy to look at the whole thing.

[This message has been edited by Utahute72 (edited March 02, 2011).]

[This message has been edited by Utahute72 (edited March 02, 2011).]

Posts: 459 | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wordcaster
Member # 9183

- posted      Profile for Wordcaster   Email Wordcaster         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you all for the critiques. It didn't take a whole lot to really (what I believe) improve the story based on your feedback.

I think I have one more draft left to get this in order.

Thank you!

Posts: 475 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.