Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Talia's Story

Author Topic: Talia's Story
Drock0211
Member # 9459

- posted      Profile for Drock0211   Email Drock0211         Edit/Delete Post 
This is a completed short story at 1499 words. I'm looking for feedback on the hook, the character believability, how realistic is the dialect, and does the story suck you in and have you get lost in what's happening to the point where you forget you're reading? Thanks for reading.

The sun is sinkin’ behind the horizon in a burst of oranges, reds and yellas. Looks like the heavens are paintin’ a picture and tellin’ me it’s all gonna be okay. I’m sittin’ here on my porch in my rockin’ chair drinkin’ lemonade just tryin’ to keep cool. Fields of wheat and corn sway in a kind'a graceful dance, movin’ with the gentle, hot breeze. Often times it lulls me to sleep in my chair, and I wake with a crick in my neck. This evenin’ the wheat is singin’ a song of sorrow for me.

It’s been long enough for people to start wonderin’. I can see Deputy Billy Rae Colin comin’ up the road. I reckon I should fill you in on the story before he gets here to take me away.

Posts: 26 | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NoTimeToThink
Member # 5174

- posted      Profile for NoTimeToThink   Email NoTimeToThink         Edit/Delete Post 
Be careful of the dialect - the ..in' instead of ...ing can be distracting. It kept me from getting lost in the story.

Although the initial setting is well painted, You are not starting the story where you should. It sounds like your character is about to tell us the story from the beginning - this is just you trying to warm up.

Just MHO...

Posts: 406 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wordcaster
Member # 9183

- posted      Profile for Wordcaster   Email Wordcaster         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with NTTT -- lose the -in'. The word choice will reflect a southern drawl in the reader's mind, making the accent come naturally. I'm good with "yellas" and "kinda" is spelled without the apostrophe.

Also, your first 13 is setting up for your entire story to be a flashback. It can be done, but with the ever-so-critical first 13, the only thing I got was that there is a southern person (nameless and genderless) who is about to be arrested. Without knowing more of the story, I'm not sure of my opinion on whether or not it works.

The writing is creative and you have a good setting description.

Posts: 475 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Drock0211
Member # 9459

I've gone back and taken out all the apostrophes and I'm not sure if it comes across as the same deep Southern, middle of nowhere, small town feel.
Posts: 26 | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
History
Member # 9213

- posted      Profile for History   Email History         Edit/Delete Post 
Again, I'm the odd writer out.
I have no problem with your use of dialect ("sinkin'" and "yella") in this first person recollection.

You might better clarify this to the reader by beginning the story with line 3: "I’m sittin’ here on my porch in my rockin’ chair drinkin’ lemonade just tryin’ to keep cool."
This places us directly and clearly with the protagonist from the get-go. You could then add the "color" of lines 1,2, and 4, setting the tone and retain the image you give of an elderly, or merely more sedate and content, narrator.

"Deputy Billy Rae Colin" does, however, seem like a Southern cliche, a bit heavy-handed, like ... great-uncle Rabbi Irving Hayyim ben Levi Jewison. Kapish?

Otherwise, I feel you set the scene and your protagonist well and enticingly hint at a change in the gentle repose with the pending discussion of a conflict.

Respectfully,
History

Posts: 1475 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Drock0211
Member # 9459

Ah, gotcha. I'll think of a less cliche name, and in the meantime, would the following re-arrangement work better?

I’m sittin’ here on my porch in my rockin’ chair drinkin’ lemonade just tryin’ to keep cool. Fields of wheat and corn sway in a kind'a graceful dance, movin’ with the gentle, hot breeze. Often times it lulls me to sleep in my chair, and I wake with a crick in my neck. This evenin’ the wheat is singin’ a song of sorrow for me.

It’s been long enough for people to start wonderin’. I can see Deputy Billy Rae Colin comin’ up the road. The sun is sinkin’ behind the horizon in a burst of oranges, reds and yellas. Looks like the heavens are paintin’ a picture and tellin’ me it’s all gonna be okay. I reckon I should fill you in on the story before he gets here to take me away.

philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
What I would suggest is you set the dialect with your first sentence using words that don't require the -in'.

You've really bitten off a big piece of apple - you are using strong dialect markers in first person present POV, which might be the hardest way to write a story next to second person present or future perfect. This type of story is typically more successful for previously published writers, but more power to you.

I would suggest you start with the setting in this instance - where are we? Georgia, Alabama, Tennessee? Ground the reader and continue from there. Details would be beneficial.

Avoid the three "W's" (weather, waking, and white rooms) when starting a story - these tend to be viewed as cliches.

Avoid early flashbacks - this tends to indicate you started in the wrong place.

Know about what you write (which is different from write what you know). I don't know if this is a period piece or what the socio-economic conditions are for this person, but I don't know many people in the South that sit in rocking chairs on their front porches while drinking lemonade. It would be like me assuming that all the people in New Jersey hang out around broken concrete steps, smoking pot, and listening to boom boxes placed on their shoulders. No offense.

Edited to add: white rooms - couldn't remember the third earlier.

[This message has been edited by philocinemas (edited March 20, 2011).]

Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Drock0211
Member # 9459

Hi, Philocinemas. Since this thread started, I've been back into the research of dialects and will work more with words used vs. the in'.

Yes, I think I've chewed off almost more than I can chew, but I love to learn and what better way to learn than to start with the hard stuff.

I assumed when the reader read the story, he/she would fill in where the story takes place from his/her imagination and interpretation. Is that a wrong assumption?

In my head this is taking place 1930's Georgia-ish. I'm not saying everyone sits on their front porches with a glass of lemonade in a rocking chair - just Talia. And no offense taken.

philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
Since you are trying to establish dialect and present a believable story, where and when you are would make a difference. Where was Huck? - Mississippi. Where was Scarlet? - Georgia. I do not see these two as being even vaguely similar, even though they are both in the South around the same time-period. Speaking of which, I would also suggest establishing the period. I could more easily see this as an occurance during Atticus's time, but you should give some detail related to the 30's to better ground the reader. Otherwise, they could think you are stereotyping like I did.
Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

Something else was bothering me about this intro and I couldn't figure out what it was. I went back and read it again, and suddenly it dawned on me. Wheat doesn't grow very well in the deep south, especially not in the summer. The main crops I see are corn, cotton, and tobacco. I have traveled up and down the southern coastal states all my life, living in Virginia, Tennessee, and three months on the NC - GA border, and I can't remember seeing very many, if any, wheat fields. This isn't saying it is impossible, but it is very uncommon.

If it's Georgia, I'd pick tobacco (no pun intended).

Drock0211
Member # 9459

When I research on line, it shows that wheat is grown in Georgia.
But thank you for the information. I'll mull that over.

Josephine Kait
Member # 8157

- posted      Profile for Josephine Kait   Email Josephine Kait         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes wheat is grown in Georgia, but it is not characteristic of it. If you are trying to establish your setting by what is in the fields, wheat is counterproductive because it makes most people think of the plains states. Unless there is something special and important about that wheat, I’d trade it for something more characteristic. This might help.
Posts: 456 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

I checked on tobacco, and it is also pretty rare in Georgia even though it is common in Virginia and the Carolinas. Cotton and peanuts grow on short plants, and I'm not sure they would produce the same image you are wanting. However, there is plenty of grass, which is grown high and turned into hay.

Either way you decide, I wish you best of luck with your story.

Drock0211
Member # 9459

"In the United States, the two major types of wheat grown are spring wheat and winter wheat. Spring wheat is mainly grown in the northern Great Plains states such as North Dakota, South Dakota, Montana, and Minnesota. Winter wheat is grown from the southern Great Plains states (Nebraska, Kansas, and Oklahoma) through the Eastern United States (Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Michigan, Pennsylvania, Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina and Georgia). California has also become a winter wheat producing state."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
So, in light of the above info, why don't we say this story takes place in the Oklahoma area. I like the idea of the field being that of wheat. There's a certain sound to it when it sways.

muranternet
Member # 9465

- posted      Profile for muranternet   Email muranternet         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm interested in the whole thing, as my first short last month was a 1st person POV in loose dialect and I know it's a pain to get right. I'm not sure I have.

The dialect reads a bit thick, but spoken aloud it flows. I'd suggest reading it aloud in the drawl you want to see how it works if you haven't already. I think maybe it's the proliferation of apostrophes that breaks it up, e.g. "kind'a" as opposed to "kinda." Little things like that trip me up as a reader.

"I’m sittin’ here on my porch in my rockin’ chair drinkin’ lemonade just tryin’ to keep cool."

I wonder if this could be improved by taking it out of the passive voice and moving some of the descriptors into the next sentence?

"I take a swig of lemonade and rock a lil faster, tryin to keep cool. I see them (wheat/corn/tobacco/cotton/spaghetti plant/whatever)fields swayin in the breeze in a kinda graceful dance, but on the porch all I feel is the heat."

Note: I originally typed "swigga" there. I like it with fewer apostrophes as a narrative, used for possessive case or maybe really big contractions. I have no idea how strict editors get when you write in verbal dialect. The first one to read Riddley Walker must have had an aneurysm.

I also agree that the "I reckon I should fill you in" bit seems out of place. He's not writing a journal or dictating to a stenographer; he's doing a present tense thought model. Maybe the deputy (named whatever) tells him it's time, he says "Ahyup" and then thinks back on how all this got started? (insert line break and past tense flashback)

Anyway, just my opinion as a reader. Also, I'd read it.

Posts: 48 | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Drock0211
Member # 9459

Thank you, Muranternet for your feedback. I appreciate it. I wasn't sure if you were offering to read the story in its entirety, and that would be great. I don't know how that works yet though. How does one swap stories here for review, and would you be interested?

muranternet
Member # 9465

- posted      Profile for muranternet   Email muranternet         Edit/Delete Post 
Sure I'm interested. However in all my hours of being a member here I have no idea what the preferred method is. I used to send encrypted locked samples to friends to read using WinRAR, but I think that might get annoying to most people. Probably people just email word files and make a gentleman's agreement to not distribute.

Edit: If you want you can just hit the little email icon by my name and send it in an attachment.

[This message has been edited by muranternet (edited March 23, 2011).]

Posts: 48 | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Drock0211
Member # 9459

Okay, will do. I'll send via email.
Josephine Kait
Member # 8157

- posted      Profile for Josephine Kait   Email Josephine Kait         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, most people send either word or rtf files. But it can be any format or transfer type that both parties are comfortable with. The fact that crits are most often done as an exchange lends itself to a "golden rule" type scenerio.
Posts: 456 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
muranternet
Member # 9465

Comments sent. Really nice short.
Drock0211
Member # 9459

Thank you, muranternet. I can't tell you how much I appreciate the feedback you offered. It was a huge help.
I look forward to returning the favor.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.