Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Nature's will

Author Topic: Nature's will
Axis Dervan
Member # 9339

- posted      Profile for Axis Dervan   Email Axis Dervan         Edit/Delete Post 
The man gave the soil a final compressing pat, making sure the young tree was well planted. Its body bent lamely under the weight of its three leaves, and as the man felt a small gust of wind flow through his hair he imagined he could see the brittle thing fighting to stay upright. It looked vulnerable and out of place, but the man’s job was done. He got to his feet and wiped his dirty hands on his stained jeans.
“You know that thing won’t survive a day out here, right?” said a voice from a few feet from behind the man; the tone was curious at the same time sounding slightly condescending.
“Nature takes care of its own” Replied the soil-stained man who hadn’t turned from the tiny plant. He could feel the smirk form on the strangers face, and wasn’t at all surprised when the

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited April 15, 2011).]

Posts: 30 | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foste
Member # 8892

- posted      Profile for Foste   Email Foste         Edit/Delete Post 
Like the start. Have a few nits to pick though...

First, why not give the main guy a name? It helps to identify with him. The tags of arrogance and condescension are okay, but the dialog is strong enough to convey the characters feelings.

Also how does a compressing pat look? I'd also cut "lamely".

I'd read on, in any case.

Posts: 628 | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Axis Dervan
Member # 9339

- posted      Profile for Axis Dervan   Email Axis Dervan         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the suggestions, i modified the dialog because the explanation of tone was a little redundant and space-consuming. thanks for the tip!
Posts: 30 | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arnen123
Member # 9428

- posted      Profile for Arnen123   Email Arnen123         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked it.

My initial reaction - cut out the adverbs like "compressing". Stealing this advice from Stephen King, so take it how you like .

The statement "the tone was curious at the same time sounding slightly condescending" could just be "the tone was curious and slightly condescending."

Posts: 30 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NoTimeToThink
Member # 5174

- posted      Profile for NoTimeToThink   Email NoTimeToThink         Edit/Delete Post 
Agree about naming "the man" - it's feels distracting not to have it, and will start becoming confusing once more men arrive in the story. Why withold it?
Posts: 406 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MYMoore
Member # 9068

- posted      Profile for MYMoore           Edit/Delete Post 
Is the "man" generic because he is not a primary character? Reading this, I feel like it's being told by someone watching both him and the person who is the "voice" behind him? If another person is watching this sequence unfold, then it makes sense for him to be nameless; otherwise, I agree with the above comments about the name. The agree with the above posters about some of the word usage as well.

~MyM

Posts: 25 | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pixydust
Member # 2311

- posted      Profile for pixydust   Email pixydust         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd work a little more on POV. It feels a little removed, like some have said above.

quote:
Its body bent lamely
Awkward and unnecessary

quote:
and as the man felt a small gust of wind flow through his hair
This is a pov thing, too. "the man felt" is removing the reader from the character. "flow through his hair" feels a bit overwrought. The whole sentence is too wordy, really.

quote:
he imagined he could see the brittle thing fighting to stay upright.
He doesn't have to imagine, cause he's looking at it.

I would work on simplifying as much of the description as possible. You want each one of the words to count and to mean something. And as for POV, try to begin more directly in the "head" of the MC.

EXAMPLE: Bard lived for the hunt. It was the smells and heat of the earth under his feet, warmed from the sun and thick with life.

Be in the head. Thoughts. Senses. Development.

Hope this helps.

Posts: 811 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.