Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Lost in the Rubble, Paranormal short

Author Topic: Lost in the Rubble, Paranormal short
Osiris
Member # 9196

- posted      Profile for Osiris   Email Osiris         Edit/Delete Post 
A ghost story I've been contemplating...

---------------------------

There is no escaping one’s corpse when one is a ghost. No rest for the weary soul until the body is laid to rest. Tethered to mine like kelp to the sea floor, I sway above a mound of rubble.

This purgatory is filled with haze. A nearby yellow-hat waves into the gray wall of fog, finger pointing at a pile of concrete and twisted beams. The shadow of another man forms in the fog wall, he emerges. A white-hat. The two men crawl over the concrete and shine flashlights into dark spaces.

The ground rumbles. The shadow of a beast forms in the fog wall, a great steel claw - yellow like the man’s hat - emerges. The white-hat points at a ragged block of concrete. The claw pinches the block and turns away. Steel and stone vanish into fog wall, eddies swirl in their wake.

---------------------------

Thank you for reading, I'm not sure if it works.

Posts: 1043 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
Try reading this one aloud. it has a poem like tempo, but i feel like the voice is off.
Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
I can see how Bent thinks it sounds like a poem. But if you didn't want that I think it could be easy to fix.

For example "Steel and stone vanish into fog wall, eddies swirl in their wake " add the word the before fog and add what type of eddies. Large? shades of gray?

Over all I think it works but it does need some tweaking. I'm not not sure if you need to explain what happened in the first 13 lines but it should probably be soon.

Oh the second sentence sounds a bit too cliche-ish for me. It can be done better.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
The first paragraph is the hook but you lose me when you get to the hat guys. May I suggest you build on that paragraph? Perhaps explain how he died or where he is.
Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Osiris
Member # 9196

- posted      Profile for Osiris   Email Osiris         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks guys and snapper. I was playing with the idea that the spirit, once disassociated with the body, would have tenuous access to memory, which is why the ghost seems confused with what is happening. That device seems to not work though.
Posts: 1043 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.