Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Gently Into the Morning

Author Topic: Gently Into the Morning
Eliza C
Member # 9805

- posted      Profile for Eliza C           Edit/Delete Post 
I would like to run the first 13 lines of a new sci-fi story by folks. Any comments are appreciated.

Sol sparkled at the edge of Mercury. The crescent of fiery gold made Jack’s eyes water, even so, he couldn’t turn away from that life-giving light amidst all this vast darkness. Dawn had always affected Jack profoundly. Even at home in the Florida Keys he never failed to be up in time to see the sun rise. It was the sun that had made him want to explore space.
“Time to earn our pay,” Wainwright said at Jack’s left. Captain Edward Wainwright tapped in the command sequence to lower the sun shields. Plates like overlapping armadillo scales rotated downward, protecting them from the heat of the sun as their orbit brought them out of the dark side of Mercury, creating an artificially quick sunrise.

Posts: 42 | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the telling of the impact this imagery has upon the MC makes me crave to see it. The exposition takes me from it and has a wishy washy feeling, in my opinion. it seems that setting up the imagery and having it jolted by the dialogue from the captain could work as an effective lure, but as this lies, it doesn't grab my attention.

Deepen pov... lets see this through the eyes of the MC, bring in some conflict. Why does the story begin here? What has changed in the characters perception of reality?

Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rcmann
Member # 9757

- posted      Profile for rcmann   Email rcmann         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked the first paragraph. I got the impression that the second paragraph was a bit crowded. Mainly the last sentence. But the setting is gripping. I liked it.
Posts: 884 | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eliza C
Member # 9805

Thanks Bent Tree and rcmann.
On second look that last sentence was a mouthful! I also saw that it was redundant to say they lowered heat shields that would protect them from heat - duh - so was able to shorten that - thanks.

Bent Tree - the next few lines are about the deployment of the experimental solar sails and how if it doesn't work they won't live. My hope is that the beginning is enough to pull readers on to the next paragraph.

Posts: 42 | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tiergan
Member # 7852

- posted      Profile for Tiergan   Email Tiergan         Edit/Delete Post 
My only concern with the first paragraph was the line:
quote:
Dawn had always affected Jack profoundly
very telling, I would suggest cutting it. I feel you show its affect on him already.

The last paragraph seemed a little thick. Maybe breaking down the sentences more will help.

Posts: 1168 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mayflower988
Member # 9858

- posted      Profile for mayflower988   Email mayflower988         Edit/Delete Post 
It sounds like a very interesting story. I had to read through it again to figure out what you meant by "sol". And "said Wainwright at Jack's left" sounds a little awkward. But if you need a reader, let me know.
Posts: 298 | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eliza C
Member # 9805

Thanks for the offer, mayflower. I think I'm okay as far as beta readers for the whole, but I appreciate the comments on the beginning.
Thanks also Tiergan.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.