Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Daughter of Darkness

Author Topic: Daughter of Darkness
babygears81
Member # 9745

- posted      Profile for babygears81   Email babygears81         Edit/Delete Post 
After receiving feedback that this story started waaaay too slow. I have revised. I also cut it from 7k to 3k so that it would qualify for a contest. Here are my new first thirteen. I am looking for someone interested in doing a swap, and critique on the first 13, of course. It's a horror story btw.

Katherine watched from the kitchen window, in horror, as a shadow separated from the dark forest surrounding her house and lunged for the teenage girls that walked from Katherine’s driveway to her front porch. The shadow loomed over them like a skyscraper made from night. Katherine ran for the door, hoping the shadow hadn’t snatched the girls into the darkness. She knew the shadows were alive. She had heard their voices—whispers calling to her—she had thought, but they had used a name she couldn’t decipher.

She pulled the door open, darted over the threshold, and stepped around the girls to shield them from the darkness. Katherine whipped her head around, looking for the evil, but saw nothing.

“Uh…trick or treat?” one of the girls said.

Katherine jumped, spun around and looked at the girl who had spoken. Was this some kind of joke?

[ December 07, 2012, 01:33 AM: Message edited by: babygears81 ]

Posts: 118 | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grumpy old guy
Member # 9922

- posted      Profile for Grumpy old guy   Email Grumpy old guy         Edit/Delete Post 
If you're going to get rid of the comma after 'said' in the first sentence, then I'd write it like this:

“Kit, I want a divorce,” Katherine’s husband, Dick, had said a year ago.

Just a thought.

Phil.

Posts: 1937 | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Denevius
Member # 9682

- posted      Profile for Denevius   Email Denevius         Edit/Delete Post 
hello. sure, i'll swap with you. i'll send mine along when you send your piece.

todd

Posts: 1216 | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
babygears81
Member # 9745

- posted      Profile for babygears81   Email babygears81         Edit/Delete Post 
Denevius-Perfect! I just read the comment on your post and was going to suggest the same. I'll send it right over. Thanks!

Grumpy old guy-That is how I had initially written the sentence. I can't even remember why I changed it, but I did. Guess I'll change it back. [Smile]

Posts: 118 | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SR Dev
Member # 9986

- posted      Profile for SR Dev   Email SR Dev         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm grammar expert but the commas around "in horror" strike me as odd. Feel free to tell me I'm wrong on this one.

The first sentence also felt a little too long to grab me. I think we can watch the shadow move out of the forest and then have a separate sentence where it lunges after the teenage girls.

The skyscraper made of night, was evocative but rang a little weird to me, skyscrapers don't evoke fear in me, also saying something towers like a skyscraper felt a little redundant idk.

The she knew the shadows were alive bit felt a little abrupt, too. I think maybe you need more of transition.

I like the idea of the shadow though, and you're starting from a compelling place of action.

Posts: 37 | Registered: Dec 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
babygears81
Member # 9745

Thanks for the feeback SR Dev. I'll go back and tinker some more. [Smile]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.