Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Short story submission

Author Topic: Short story submission
Grumpy old guy
Member # 9922

- posted      Profile for Grumpy old guy   Email Grumpy old guy         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I've finished Blood-letting -- waking opening and all. I'm now about to submit it once I get some feedback from writing buddies. What I'd like to know is if this works as a teaser in the body of the submission e-mail.

Quote:

Dawn Houston has a problem, she’s a recovered claustrophobe who has to get into a Hibernation Pod for the three-year journey to Saturn. She’s woken up by Vladimir Bathory when the spaceship’s navigational computer malfunctions and this adds a second problem, because Vladimir should have still been in hibernation sleep.

BLOOD-LETTING is the story of a woman who fights against her inner fears and an outside menace to prevent a vampire infiltrating the human colony on Ganymede.

BLOOD-LETTING is a 4,000-word short story blending horror and science fiction.

Posts: 1937 | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corky
Member # 2714

- posted      Profile for Corky   Email Corky         Edit/Delete Post 
Are they asking for teasers in submission emails for short stories now?

Used to be that short stories were supposed to speak for themselves.

Posts: 603 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
easterabbit
Member # 9810

- posted      Profile for easterabbit           Edit/Delete Post 
This is the book section.

And, no...you just submit the short story--no teaser required.

You could say:

'Many thanks for considering my 4000 word horror story 'Blood-letting' although I usually just go with "I am submitting 'Blood-letting' for your consideration' and then summarise my publishing credits.

Posts: 61 | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by easterabbit:
This is the book section.

Good point.

I'll move it.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grumpy old guy
Member # 9922

- posted      Profile for Grumpy old guy   Email Grumpy old guy         Edit/Delete Post 
Oops! Sorry.

Hides head under armpit and slinks off into a dark corner to brood. I will have my revenge -- ha, ha, ha! (maniacal laughter) [Wink]

Posts: 1937 | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SR Dev
Member # 9986

- posted      Profile for SR Dev   Email SR Dev         Edit/Delete Post 
The this adds a second problem felt a little clumsy to me.
Posts: 37 | Registered: Dec 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.