Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » The Takers

Author Topic: The Takers
pidream
Member # 9544

- posted      Profile for pidream   Email pidream         Edit/Delete Post 
Nady slogged through the icy slush covered meadow and up to the edge of the dark wood. She stopped and gazed long and hard at the dry branches that lay scattered on the ground at the base of the huge oak. The great tree's branches over-lapped each other like thatch on a roof so tightly they prevented last night's dusting of snow from reaching the ground. She wondered if the snow ever touched the forest floor, or if the iron-gray winter sky ever penetrated into the dark tangle of Takers' Wood.

She stood there shivering, pondering whether she really wanted to risk entering or not.

Posts: 104 | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
babooher
Member # 8617

- posted      Profile for babooher   Email babooher         Edit/Delete Post 
On the threshold of adventure, we stop to ponder should we go forth! I think a pause to take stock and really decide if the heroine WANTS the adventure makes sense. It shows uncertainty, doubt, humility. Makes the protagonist more approachable. And Takers' Wood sounds cool to me. I'd read on.
Posts: 823 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wylde
Member # 9628

- posted      Profile for Wylde   Email Wylde         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
icy slush covered meadow
This description is redundant. Is it icy or slushy?

I like Taker's Wood as well and think you should use the name of the forest in the first sentence instead of dark wood. The paragraph helps describe the wood so there is no need to put the cliched "dark wood" up with such a lovely name.

quote:
gazed long and hard
The verb here means to look at something in a steady way for a long time so long and hard aren't needed. Let the verb do its job.

quote:
like thatch on a roof so tightly
I love the picture you paint "like thatch on a roof" but then you follow it up with a superfluous adverb. Thatch on a roof is woven tight to keep out the elements so we already know its done tightly.

As it is now, I wouldn't read more because of the cliche and redundancy. However, looking past that to just the idea, I like the premise and it has potential.

Posts: 21 | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.