Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Fools Dare- 4700 words

Author Topic: Fools Dare- 4700 words
pidream
Member # 9544

- posted      Profile for pidream   Email pidream         Edit/Delete Post 
I am looking for readers- will swap.

The moment Urtis’s face flamed to red, he should’ve bitten out his tongue. But no, he’d prattled on about the hardships and expenses of finding Urtis’s worm-eaten tomes, the loss of two men, and three camels. When Sath, the imp, leapt onto one of the carved minaret’s of his master’s massive chair, Ambar stuttered to silence. Sath lowered himself until bat-like he hung only a finger’s width from the mage’s ear, and commenced whispering.
What had made him believe he could squeeze a single half-bronze more from stingy wizard? He’d unwittingly, crossed some imaginary line of decorum with the thin skinned sorcerer, and was about to suffer for it.
“Uh— excuse me Great One,” he said, bowing and backing toward the door, “I will be taking my leave now. The sum agreed upon is acceptable, master.”

Posts: 104 | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wetwilly
Member # 1818

- posted      Profile for wetwilly   Email wetwilly         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll swap with you if you're okay with my story being longer than yours (about 8,000 words). Send it on over to me.
Posts: 1528 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Denevius
Member # 9682

- posted      Profile for Denevius   Email Denevius         Edit/Delete Post 
Somewhat cluttered, confusing opening. By my count, you have three characters: Sath, Ambar, and Urtis. I'm unsure if any of them is this wizard that's mentioned.

The first line, I'm unsure whose POV we're in. Who should have bitten off Urtis' tongue? Ah, actually, on this read, I guess it's Ambar. Now I think I understand the scene.

Urtis is the wizard, Sath is the imp on his chair, and Ambar was the one looking for the wizard's tomes. It kind of makes sense now, but it's all packed together needlessly. And even after multiple reads, I'm still unsure whose head we're in.

By the by, I actually think this line is a better opening to the story:

quote:
What had made him believe he could squeeze a single half-bronze more from stingy wizard?
Here we have the motivation (money), the obstacle (stinginess), and a setup (dealings with a wizard) all neatly rolled into one rhetorical question.
Posts: 1216 | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wetwilly
Member # 1818

- posted      Profile for wetwilly   Email wetwilly         Edit/Delete Post 
Still want to swap?
Posts: 1528 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pidream
Member # 9544

- posted      Profile for pidream   Email pidream         Edit/Delete Post 
Wetwilly, I am waiting on your story. I sent mine along to the email listed here. Denevius, Thanks that's a good idea.
Posts: 104 | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.