Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Writers - Publications & Reviews » and the sales keep rolling in...

Author Topic: and the sales keep rolling in...
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
My third short fiction sale is to Quantum Muse and will appear in the March 2005 issue. (Link will be posted shortly.)

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice going, Christine!
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Minister
Member # 2213

- posted      Profile for Minister   Email Minister         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. This is actually really encouraging to those of us who don't have a sale yet. Congratulations, once again. Out of curiousity, did you have all of these stories completed before the first sale? And were you able to mention the first sale in the queries for the second and third, or were they already out there? And finally, how many stories do you have completed to do the rounds? (I ask all of this because you have now become my model of success. )
Posts: 491 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
Rolling! Rolling! Rolling on the River!

Wooo Hoooo!!!!

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations Christine! Nice going.
Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

Statistics:

All three of these stories were completed prior to the first sale and in fact, in this case they had all been submitted prior to the first sale meaning that I did *not* mention them in the cover letters for the other two.

At the moment, I still have 13...grrr....no 12 (I literally just got another rejection via e-mail.) stories out there. They are of varying lengths and topics and at this time, 3 are at pro markets while the other 9 have (for one reason or another) been sent out to semi-pro mags.

And now, I'm going to be perfectly honest with you for those who don't have short fiction sales and want some. There are two things that are true here: First, I have not sold my favorite short stories yet. Second, I have not sold to well-paying markets (although I refuse to submit to free markets...I will get paid). I tell you the latter because as excited as I am that I'm getting stories published, I've adjusted my goal according to my recent success. (Got to keep climbing that ladder) Now I've got an eye to my first professional or even high paying nearly professional market. These are correspondingly harder to sell to.

But if you want to sell a short story, the secret is to write them. Honestly, quantity counts more than quality in the short story market. Well, let's take a step back. The rejection I received just a few minutes ago says:

quote:
Christine,

This was very well written, especially the stylized treatment of the
narcoleptic lapses. Unfortunately, I'm going to pass on it; the ending
just felt a little too familiar. There are a lot of stories out there
that end with some variation of "it was just a dream/coma/delusion" and
the sheer numbers of them make it hard to accept any of this type but
the most surprising and exceptional. I wish you luck with this story
and truly hope you'll send me more of your writing next reading period.

All Best,

Lon Prater

I almost never receive a rejection, even from professional markets, that don't say "well written but..." this is one of the buts. I guarantee, though, that editors don't invite you to resubmit to their markets unless they mean it. They see too much crap to want to encourage it.

So....when your writing starts to receive such feedback you're quality is just high enough that it's time to bring sheer quantity into play.

Write a story a week. Read through it once for errors. Submit it to the highest paying market first. Repeat. This is a formula I heard once that guarantees your first publication in a year. I didn't do it that way, but I know that jpeople do and it will work on two levels:

1. Quantity
2. Your quality either will improve by your fifty-second story or you were never meant to be a writer.

Now, if you actually want to use this method to improve I would recommend submitting some of these stories to critique groups BUT I would not recommend doing any major changes or rewrites to the stories you send them. Move on and use the knowledge for bigger and better things. Ideas are too cheap to linger on one for the rest of your life.

I finally realized that the same thing was at least partly true of novels. I was considering spending another year on the one I just finished and am now doing last-round edits on. I already spent a year on it. I decided I was nuts. Why? Because even if this concept could be better it won't be for me. The next novel can be better. I will, at least, be starting *fresher* and that's important.

BTW, I also have 9 graveyard stories. These are stories that I did send out but gave up on, a few probably too soon. I keep thinking I need to work on them but I won't. They're old news, dead and gone. One of them has a publisher interested in a rewrite and that's the only one I'll probably work on.

Oh, and I don't write a short story a week. I'm a novel writer at heart. Short stories, for me, are more for practice and for the hope (recently realized) that I could get published sooner than ten years from now.

That was a long and complicated answer to a simple question, wasn't it?

[This message has been edited by Christine (edited March 01, 2005).]

Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
I really like Quantum Muse. That's great, Christine!

You're also right about how the key to getting published is to, you know, write and submit. This year my main focus is on building up an inventory of stories (getting into the habit of writing all the time) and learning markets so that I'll know where to send stuff. I've only got a few stories out there waiting for acceptance/rejection but as the year progresses that number will get larger and larger.

Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Rahl22
Member # 1411

- posted      Profile for Rahl22   Email Rahl22         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats on your sale, Christine!

I disagree absolutely and whole-heartedly with the sentiment that quantity is more important than quality, in any fiction world -- among them the short fiction one. Write an undeniably brilliant story, and only one, and you'll sell it. Write a million crappy stories, and you never will (at least to markets you can be proud of).

Posts: 1621 | Registered: Apr 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

Ahh, Rahl, if only it were so...

But I have read the most brilliant stories and seen market after market turn them away. One story, no matter how brilliant, is a crap shoot. A million mediocre stories (notice that I did say you have to reach a certain level a quality before this will work) will result in at least one sale you can be proud of. Trust me, the stuff in F&SF and Asimov's isn't that good.

Rahl22
Member # 1411

Ahh yes, we've had that discussion on Codex I believe. But now this is just going to devolve into what you think is brilliant being mediocre to me and vice versa.

edit: P.s. I did say undeniably... I built in a backdoor for my argument! hehe

[This message has been edited by Rahl22 (edited March 01, 2005).]

EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations, Christine.
Posts: 1517 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
AndrewR
Member # 1563

- posted      Profile for AndrewR   Email AndrewR         Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent advice, Christine. The only thing I'd add is that you don't have to write a story a week. It would be best if you did--it would be best if you write every day--but it is not require. Just write as much as you can.

I made a New Year's resolution to write a first draft every two weeks this year. I'm just finishing up the second story, which has taken me over four weeks. But with the limited time I have for writing, and the speed that I write, that is the best I can do right now. So quantity is good, but don't be disappointed if you can't produce as fast as others.

BTW, congratulations, Christine! Looking forward to your first sale to Asimovs!

Posts: 180 | Registered: Jan 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
Wonderful!
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Minister
Member # 2213

- posted      Profile for Minister   Email Minister         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the info, Christine. That was exactly what I was looking for.

And now, as you send out stories with the previous publication credits in the cover letters, maybe you can let me know how that affects your market success statistically. If you don't mind, that is.

Once again, congratulations.

Posts: 491 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats Christine.

My first fiction sale was to QM. I'm always over there checking out what's new -- look forward to seeing your story.

Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Keeley
Member # 2088

- posted      Profile for Keeley   Email Keeley         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats.
Posts: 836 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Hildy9595
Member # 1489

- posted      Profile for Hildy9595   Email Hildy9595         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, good for you. On a roll, indeed. Congrats!
Posts: 338 | Registered: Aug 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

http://www.quantummuse.com/mar05_grandfather.html

It's up!

Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
Seeing something published is a great way to start the week, Christine!
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
good story, christine! I enjoyed it.
Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Pontifax
Member # 2414

- posted      Profile for Pontifax   Email Pontifax         Edit/Delete Post 
Nicely done. I enjoyed it. There seem to be some formatting problems though, surely their fault, not yours. Like semicolons before dialougue but after the first quotation marks as well as some random symbols in one of the paragraphs....
Posts: 36 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Rahl22
Member # 1411

That comes from cutting and pasting MS Word text into an HTML editor. Normally a copyeditor would catch that sort of thing.
Christine
Member # 1646

GRRR...yeah, I noticed that. (After I posted the link.) I'm feeling a little embarassed as it's my story, but I promise they aren't there in my own copy. I wonder if I should mention those things to the editor? I just don't have much experience with this.
Pontifax
Member # 2414

- posted      Profile for Pontifax   Email Pontifax         Edit/Delete Post 
I figured it wasn't your fault...just thought I might point it out.

Loved your story, though.

Posts: 36 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
GZ
Member # 1374

- posted      Profile for GZ   Email GZ         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats!
Posts: 652 | Registered: Feb 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
goatboy
Member # 2062

- posted      Profile for goatboy   Email goatboy         Edit/Delete Post 
Good going, Christine. When you finish your 52nd story, will you share the results of your plan with us? I'm interested to see how this quantity/quality thing sorts out.
Posts: 497 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
autumnmuse
Member # 2136

- posted      Profile for autumnmuse   Email autumnmuse         Edit/Delete Post 
Christine, I noticed when reading the submission guidelines and FAQ on QM's site that they specifically request stories to not be sent in Microsoft Word format, due to the formatting issues. Maybe that's what happened?
Posts: 818 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

Autumn, I am absolutely positive that is not what happened. If you keep reading, you will see that they have an on-line submission form that asks you to copy and paste a text version of the story in their editor window. I had forgotten, but your question prompted me to look into it further and I see that, indeed, that is how I submitted the story. I am now entirely unsure of what happened, even more so than before, since I submitted it plain text.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.