Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Writers - Publications & Reviews » Staked - Library Journal Review

Author Topic: Staked - Library Journal Review
JFLewis
Member # 6957

- posted      Profile for JFLewis   Email JFLewis         Edit/Delete Post 
“Lewis, J.F. Staked. Pocket Bks: S. & S. Mar. 2008. c.352p. ISBN 978-1-4165-4780-8. pap. $14. FANTASY

The hero of Lewis's humorous debut is Eric, a vampire having a bad week, with a poor memory and raging blackouts. In the midst of a rough tantrum, he realizes he has torn off the head of a fellow undead, but he can't remember who the victim is or why he killed him. As the story continues, however, Eric proves to be a much nicer guy than the opening would suggest. With a host of interesting characters—the elderly human Marilyn, the greatest love of Eric's life; Tabitha, the stripper-turned-vampire who loves Eric; evangelical werewolf William, who erroneously believes Eric killed his son; and Roger, co-owner with Eric of the Demon Heart Strip Club—this is a fast-paced story with a heady mixture of humor, violence, and sex. Recommended for large fantasy collections.”

http://www.libraryjournal.com/article/CA6529602.html

It's coming out in twenty days. Gah! I'm like an expectant Dad all over again, only this time it's silly because the "baby" is made of paper and ink.

---Jeremy

Posts: 62 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
How exciting for you! I look forward to seeing it on the shelves.
Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

- posted      Profile for debhoag   Email debhoag         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations! That's awesome, and I can't wait to read it. It sounds really cool!
Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Go look now. These books say things like "First Printing: March 2008," but my experience in retail book buying and selling demonstrated to me that they're usually around up to a full month before that. (Unless they've tightened things up since my heyday.)
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wrenbird
Member # 3245

- posted      Profile for wrenbird   Email wrenbird         Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome! What a wonderful feeling it must be. I am excited for you.
Posts: 346 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
What Robert Nowall said. Your book may already be on the shelves.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JFLewis
Member # 6957

I checked around just to be sure, but no sign of it yet. Staked also still shows as pre-order on Amazon.

Only fifteen more days to go.

Posts: 62 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JFLewis
Member # 6957

To paraphrase... oh *me* of little faith.

Staked hasn't shown up in stores yet, but it has started shipping from several online booksellers. I got an email from one of the folks who pre-ordered the book through Simon & Schuster's website letting me know that the book was waiting for her when she got home from work.

/happy dance

Oh! And Maryelizabeth Hart co-owner of Mysterious Galaxy Book in Sand Diego posted a really nice review here (so feel free to order a copy from her):

http://mysteriousgalaxy.booksense.com/NASApp/store/IndexJsp?s=storepicks&page=265510

"Let'’s face it -- vampires in particular have been "done to death" in terms of being the protagonists of urban fantasy lately. So it's pleasantly unusual to get to read a vampire novel and think, "wow, that was different." On its most basic level, Staked is all about the blood (and there's lots of it). Apparently it's the only body fluid coursing around the undead's systems, so when they get sweaty foreheads, or cry, or create any other body fluids ... well, you get the idea. Strip club owner Eric is a vampire, a Vlad by the nomenclature of the world, rendered nigh immortal through his transformation. Seems if one is high enough up the vamp foodchain, methods that would dust a common vampire, like sunlight, holy water, or the traditional wooden stake through the heart, are terribly inconvenient, but not fatal. In contrast to Eric, who occasionally bursts into flames through simply not paying attention to sunrise, but who has been a vampire for decades, Lewis also offers insights into what it's like to be newly undead, through the POV of Eric's (mostly-former) lover, Tabitha. Lots of visceral gore, a mysterious werewolf vendetta, and an intriguing paranormal infrastructure make Staked a welcome addition to the field. Particularly recommended to fans of Charlie Huston's Joe Pitt novels.
-- MeH"

--Jeremy

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
In the bookstore I usually look into every week, the books that are out on such-and-such a day usually don't turn up for weeks...I was going to go to another yesterday that generally does have them closer to on-time, but didn't make it down there.

I think things have gotten a little tighter of late about release dates, though there are still lots that turn up well ahead of schedule. (Or well behind...)

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

JF, you'll be interested to know that less than an hour ago I bought a copy of Staked at the Books-a-Million near here and it's right in front of me right now.

Maybe someday I'll get 'round to reading it...

JFLewis
Member # 6957

/runs in a little circle while grinning madly

That's awesome news! Thank you!

I stopped by a few of the bookstores on my way home and saw that they each had four copies, so it's out there.

I just hope people enjoy it.

Sara Genge
Member # 3468

- posted      Profile for Sara Genge   Email Sara Genge         Edit/Delete Post 
Cool! Congratulations
Posts: 507 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations! You must be so excited.
Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Patrick James
Member # 7847

- posted      Profile for Patrick James   Email Patrick James         Edit/Delete Post 
Very impressive. Looks like you'll have a fan club, at least Hatrackers, and maybe others.
Posts: 604 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JFLewis
Member # 6957

Thanks so much, guys!

AN update:

I went to OmegaCon this weekend and all of the booksellers sold out of Staked which means that a little over fifty copies moved into the hands of readers.

AND Sherrilyn Kenyon wore one of my Welcome to the Void t-shirts to her autographs session...AND Jack (her super-cool man with plan type guy) put a copy of Staked by their reigister for display.

Everyone was super nice. I wound up being table neighbors with several folks (due to first tiem convention confusion)... David Talon, Anthony Taylor, Scotty Roberts, and M.B. Weston. Not a bad apple among them or on any of the panels I was on.

It was great, if tiring, fun. I even got a brief interview on the local news. Yay!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.