Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Writers - Publications & Reviews » Hotel now on sale!

Author Topic: Hotel now on sale!
JamieFord
Member # 3112

- posted      Profile for JamieFord   Email JamieFord         Edit/Delete Post 
Finally! My bootcamp story turned novel, Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet, is now on sale at bookstores everywhere.

Here are a couple of nice reviews:

http://www.huntingtonnews.net/columns/090127-kinchen-columnsbookreview.html

http://deseretnews.com/article/1,5143,705279839,00.html

And a bit of the backstory is up at...Backstory: http://mjroseblog.typepad.com/

Posts: 603 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
That's terrific. And a really good review, too. Wow!
Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
Fantastic! I will go pick up a copy. Heres to more sales to come.
Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
honu
Member # 8277

- posted      Profile for honu   Email honu         Edit/Delete Post 
congrats!!!!
Posts: 690 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoredCrow
Member # 5675

- posted      Profile for BoredCrow   Email BoredCrow         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, that's fantastic... so HAS Oprah called yet?
I'll definitely have to read your book.

Posts: 554 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
Very good reviews.

I must say it is the sort of thing that they (yes, they) do like to turn into a movie. Just watch that you (your agent, I would imagine) negotiate carefully on that deal.

There was a posting on Hatrack detailing how authors got a percentage of the profits after costs have been deducted--costs being everyone else's wages, marketing campaigns, etc. Some authors got nothing as the studio would claim the film made no profit.

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tiergan
Member # 7852

- posted      Profile for Tiergan   Email Tiergan         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats! Can't wait to read it. How exciting is that?
Posts: 1168 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamieFord
Member # 3112

Thanks Skadder. Film rights seem like such a long-shot, but if a miracle happens, I'm in good hands. I have the same film agent as Dennis Lehane (Mystic River, Gone Baby Gone) and she's a pro.
Posts: 603 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gan
Member # 8405

- posted      Profile for Gan   Email Gan         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations!
Posts: 260 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Patrick James
Member # 7847

- posted      Profile for Patrick James   Email Patrick James         Edit/Delete Post 
Bravo!
Posts: 604 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats Jamie! I'm sure you're still in the 'pinch me' stage - I hope it lasts for a while and you don't get too black and blue in the process.

So what are you working on now?

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamieFord
Member # 3112

Funny, that's what my agent is now asking. I've been working on book #2 for a while now, it keeps getting pushed the back by current promotional stuff. It's another semi-historical novel with Asian characters. Working title is Whispers of a Thunder God.

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone who has a Costco membership be sure to look in the latest issue of Costco Connection. Jamie's book is the Pick of the Month, and there's a nice little interview/review about it. Way to go, Jamie.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
satate
Member # 8082

- posted      Profile for satate   Email satate         Edit/Delete Post 
congrats
Posts: 968 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

Oh my gosh, Jamie. A Costco book pick of the month? Seriously, will you remember us all when you're doing 16 interviews in a day like Neil Gaiman - I've been following him on Twitter and he won the Newberry followed by the release of Coraline the movie and apparently has been doing non-stop media. What ...er...fun for a writer who is probably an introvert, as most writers are (how else could they hole themselves up for the amount of time required to write these stories?)

Anyway, congrats. I will pick the book up soon. Looking forward to reading it!

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
You know it kicks @$$, Jamie. You'll be a best seller for sure. Just let us know when they start filming it--and who's in it.

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WouldBe
Member # 5682

- posted      Profile for WouldBe   Email WouldBe         Edit/Delete Post 
Super. It looks like you're really on track.
Posts: 746 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troy
Member # 2640

- posted      Profile for Troy   Email Troy         Edit/Delete Post 
Sincere congratulations. I recently read the write-up they did on you in the Helena Independent Record. Very nice. I remember when you posted here to tell us you'd found an agent. Now all this! Just -- great going, man.
Posts: 214 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations, Jamie!
Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christian
Member # 7825

- posted      Profile for Christian   Email Christian         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats Jamie. I started reading about your book a while ago (I followed a link from the home page about the BootCamp Grads a while back since I was thinking of trying to get accepted). I just wanted to post that I just read about your book in the current (i.e. February) edition of Writer's Digest. It's on page 21 as a "Notable Debut". So, again. Congrats.
Posts: 135 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
My husband rolled his eyes when I pointed at Hotel on display and announced, "He's a Hatracker." I still think it's cool my local Borders is displaying your novel at the front of the store.

[This message has been edited by aspirit (edited February 17, 2009).]

Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
The novel looks real good on my nightstand, too. And it's worth keeping there. I believe it'll be another book I read over and over.
Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Picked up a copy at Barnes & Noble this morning...
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WouldBe
Member # 5682

- posted      Profile for WouldBe   Email WouldBe         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey! Jamie has top billing on this NYT story on new novels for February.

(Cough) And here, too.

Posts: 746 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
He's featured in today's (Thursday, February 19th) print-version USA Today, too...
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Here's a link to it...

http://www.usatoday.com/life/books/news/2009-02-18-jamie-ford_N.htm

KayTi
Member # 5137

Jamie - it just gets better and better! Congrats again, you must be riding such a high.

My girlfriend who does a book group (and reads the things I don't read that are popular like Secret Life of Bees, and Like Water for Elephants) got an email from Borders yesterday recommending your book as a good book-club book, so she's planning to put it out there as her choice when her month comes up in the next couple of months!

JamieFord
Member # 3112

Hey...thanks everyone!

It's been a wild ride so far. Just got home this afternoon from the second week of touring. So far we've been in Portland, Seattle, Bellingham, San Fran and SLC (and Montana). Next week we're in Denver, Milwaukee, and Dallas, if anyone is in the area--come on out--always cool to meet in real life.

Also, I just found out yesterday that we're going into a 3rd printing. (Thanks Borders!)

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I just finished it last night...it's probably the most interesting book I've read so far this year...after only a couple of chapters I was swept up in the narrative and burned through it quickly...
MrsBrown
Member # 5195

- posted      Profile for MrsBrown   Email MrsBrown         Edit/Delete Post 
So wonderful for you! Congratulations!
Posts: 785 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.