Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Writers - Publications & Reviews » Another self-published fantasy story up here:

Author Topic: Another self-published fantasy story up here:
honu
Member # 8277

- posted      Profile for honu   Email honu         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/40914

Posts: 690 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foste
Member # 8892

- posted      Profile for Foste   Email Foste         Edit/Delete Post 
You are going Anthony Trollope on me, honu (in terms of published material)
Posts: 628 | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
honu
Member # 8277

HEHE!
Posts: 690 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 

Congrats but would you mind some criticism? I just read a couple of pages from the sample--it seemed a looong sample--but there was a couple of things that stood out.

Overall it seemed intriguing, I wouldn't mind buying it but at the same time as I said a couple of things stood out.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
honu
Member # 8277

Thanks, LDWriter2! Sure mention anything you want.

When you set it up they allow one to set sampling size.

I had it at 10 % but decided to increase it to 20%.

[This message has been edited by honu (edited February 07, 2011).]

[This message has been edited by honu (edited February 07, 2011).]

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
The size of the sample is up to you obviously, I wouldn't guess what is a good size.

However I do think, from reading only up to the point where your MC's gift reanimated the guy with the arrow in him, and a little of their talk.

Nice way to get some info in outside of an info dump but at the same time I felt like it went by kinda quickly. I think I know part of the reason. The opening isn't bad but there isn't any descriptions. Are they in a forest as I imagined since she just came upon the body, or a high grass area? Or just dirt with small hills that would block her view until she came around them? What is she wearing? or the body? I thought he might be rich but maybe more like a merchant class because of his attitude toward his money.

Not that you need to go into complete detail down to socks and underwear. Just some basic outlines. The reader can supply some of the description from their imagination but a couple of points would be helpful. You don't want your readers to work too hard. Sometimes it can be a bit tricky to add a comment about your MC's outfit without sounding trite or too wordy but it can be done.

Some of the five senses also would be good, You have some obviously but one pro writer uses every five sense every two pages. I'm not saying you have to do that but a few of the senses here and there more could make a difference.

[This message has been edited by LDWriter2 (edited February 08, 2011).]

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
honu
Member # 8277

Thanks, LDWriter2!

[This message has been edited by honu (edited February 08, 2011).]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.