Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Writers - Publications & Reviews » My First Indie Book

Author Topic: My First Indie Book
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
I've just published a collection of connected short stories on Smashwords: Sword of Spells - The Brull Adventures.

These are eleven stories that are episodes in the life of Brull, the Magician Bounty Hunter.

The link to the Smashwords book page is:

http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/91106

I'm sort of excited. It only took me about three hours to get it up and accepted. The format's a little funky, but that's ebooks for you.

Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations.
Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
micmcd
Member # 7977

- posted      Profile for micmcd   Email micmcd         Edit/Delete Post 
Way to go!
Posts: 500 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats! That's awesome!! Do you have any lessons learned/notes for the unwary?

Best of luck, hope you're rolling in the dough soon...ish.

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
KayTi,

you've done this more than I have. I'm still waiting for Premium status from Smashwords. In order to use their MeatGrinder program, I pulled all of my Brull stories into Scrivener, which has its own editor, and then after I finished edit after edit after edit, I uploaded it to MS Word. That produced a very clean manuscript. Then I edited and edited and edited, still finding error after error after error. I put in a table of contents, that was a bit tricky and fiddled with some formatting and published. Then I published a draft and published a draft and published a draft (six in all) until I got a product that was reasonable.

I think the key thing is to practice, if you're doing it yourself. Someone on Hatrack used Scrivener to create a .mobi file directly. I'll try that next.

There are some technical issues, but I passed Smashword's 'Auto-Vetter' each time, so the Word to Scrivener to Word technique worked well.

It's now a marketing challenge, which I will address in the coming weeks. I'm building a Brull story line in Twitter (@BrullofThura) and will need to do some work to drive followers. I also set up a Guy Antibes website (that's a pseudonym ) at http://www.guyantibes.com I've got some WIP that I have to get into shape, but it is publishable (self-publishable) in the near future. Two novels to go before the end of the year.

I think beginning writers have to have a bunch of content in order out there in order to generate any reasonable return.

It will take time.

Have you done any marketing yet, KayTi?

[This message has been edited by Owasm (edited September 27, 2011).]

Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
micmcd
Member # 7977

- posted      Profile for micmcd   Email micmcd         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats!

I used Scrivener to output a .mobi file - it's just a couple of clicks to get it going. You can't upload your own .mobi to Smashwords, but you can upload it to Kindle.

Posts: 500 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MartinV
Member # 5512

- posted      Profile for MartinV   Email MartinV         Edit/Delete Post 
Good work.

I didn't join Smashwords yet but I intend to. How are the payments done? Do I need a PayPal account or is a Visa card enough?

Correction: just joined.

[This message has been edited by MartinV (edited September 28, 2011).]

Posts: 1271 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EVOC
Member # 9381

- posted      Profile for EVOC   Email EVOC         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats!
Posts: 725 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
marta
Member # 9058

- posted      Profile for marta           Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations!

Posts: 23 | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andersonmcdonald
Member # 8641

- posted      Profile for andersonmcdonald   Email andersonmcdonald         Edit/Delete Post 
Way to go!
Posts: 456 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.