Hatrack River
Home   |   About Orson Scott Card   |   News & Reviews   |   OSC Library   |   Forums   |   Contact   |   Links
Research Area   |   Writing Lessons   |   Writers Workshops   |   OSC at SVU   |   Calendar   |   Store
E-mail this page
Hatrack River Writers Workshop Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Markets for Our Writing » WoTF - How do they afford it?

Author Topic: WoTF - How do they afford it?
redux
Member # 9277

- posted      Profile for redux   Email redux         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

I was reading about L. Ron Hubbard's Writers of the Future contest and was left wondering how do they afford it all. The cash prizes are quite generous, they fly out the winners to the awards ceremony, pay for hotel, as well as host a week-long writing workshop.

How do they do this?

Posts: 525 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
L. Ron Hubbard funded it, I gather.
Posts: 3717 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, he had quite a fortune and left a rather hefty endowment to WOTF.
Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It doesn't do to bad in distribution either.
Posts: 1759 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andersonmcdonald
Member # 8641

- posted      Profile for andersonmcdonald   Email andersonmcdonald         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Off topic (sorry!) but - HELLO Bent Tree!!!
Posts: 443 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And you guys wondered why I expressed alarm over it...
Posts: 8046 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rich
Member # 8140

- posted      Profile for rich   Email rich         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Scientology's not hurting for money; Hollywood has deep pockets.

And that's not a slam on the contest itself. I think it's quite evident that religion, or a lack of one, has no influence on the contest.

Posts: 840 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
redux
Member # 9277

- posted      Profile for redux   Email redux         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just realized I posted this under 'Publications & Reviews' instead of 'Markets for our Writing' - sorry about that.

Regarding the contest - anyone have an idea how many entries they get quarterly?

Robert:

quote:
And you guys wondered why I expressed alarm over it...

The description of the contest really does come across as "too good to be true." That's why I was curious to know where all the money to fund it comes from. I guess Dianetics was a lot more profitable than I thought.

[This message has been edited by redux (edited November 09, 2010).]

Posts: 525 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll move it.

They don't give out how many entries they receive each quarter, as a matter of policy, but it is believed to be many hundreds.

OSC provides this forum as a "pay it forward" investment, and Writers of the Future is one way that L. Ron Hubbard does the same.

Posts: 7856 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
redux
Member # 9277

Why is it a matter of policy not to divulge how many entries they get per quarter?

It would be nice to know how competitive it is.

EP Kaplan
Member # 5688

- posted      Profile for EP Kaplan   Email EP Kaplan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd think so as not to discourage someone from entering because of the sheer number of entries.
EDIT: typo fix.

[This message has been edited by EP Kaplan (edited November 10, 2010).]

Posts: 180 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like being discouraged about being discouraged!
Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EVOC
Member # 9381

- posted      Profile for EVOC   Email EVOC         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WoTF has been highly recommended by many Authors for a new writer.

I think best of all it only ties up your work of a quarter of a year waiting to hear back. Based on what I know, waiting 3 months for a result is pretty fast.

I may well send a work out to them.

Posts: 715 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
EVOC, be sure to check out the WotF groups in the Hatrack Groups area, then.

Also, be sure (just to be on the safe side in preserving your anonymity) not to post on this forum the title of any story you intend to submit to WotF.

Posts: 7856 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
axeminister
Member # 8991

- posted      Profile for axeminister   Email axeminister         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No way they pay for it solely from book sales.
However, that said, consider all books can be back ordered so there's always a trickle from those who'd like to read the back list.
But I do believe it's paid for by a sort of trust. Maybe not x amount of dollars set aside that once it's gone it's gone, but it takes what it needs from what there is. (And continues to be coming in.)

Robert, how can you still go on saying you don't "trust" the contest after so many of the folks here have won and gone to the awards ceremony and managed not to become Scientologists?

Did you read of Brad's experiences on his blog?

Axe

Posts: 1448 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually depending on when you send in your story it can take longer than three months even over four. But from my experience only a couple of other markets take that long any more. Some like Asimovs and Analog have increased the speed of their responses, at least with my stories. IGMS is one that still takes a while even with my writing. And they don't have to wait for snail mail. I'm sure they get a whole lot of stories.

And Robert I think it was, I have heard that they keep the Scientology separate from WotF, other people have had the same concern. I know(online anyway) a couple of people who have won.

Posts: 4689 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh yes how the afford it. There does seem to be a publishing company connected to the contest, and they sell more than just the anthology. I have no idea if it brings in much money but they probably have a couple of sources for money.
Posts: 4689 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MartinV
Member # 5512

- posted      Profile for MartinV   Email MartinV         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tried writing for WoTF but somehow I can't force myself to write below 50k words.
Posts: 1271 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EVOC
Member # 9381

- posted      Profile for EVOC   Email EVOC         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
EVOC, be sure to check out the WotF groups in the Hatrack Groups area, then.
Also, be sure (just to be on the safe side in preserving your anonymity) not to post on this forum the title of any story you intend to submit to WotF.

I will check it out. I had no thought of the Anonymous issue, glad you mentioned it.

[This message has been edited by EVOC (edited February 01, 2011).]

Posts: 715 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bobbyshane
Member # 9394

- posted      Profile for bobbyshane   Email bobbyshane         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've seen copies of the antho in Wal-Mart... in fact that's where I bought the newest one... so I wouldn't be surprised if they actually make quite a lot of money. Not to mention it has been said that a lot of editors and agents keep track of it so there are likely a high number of purchases just being made from within the industry I would think.
Posts: 52 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bobbyshane
Member # 9394

- posted      Profile for bobbyshane   Email bobbyshane         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kathleen, if I've posted something in FF and decide I want to submit it to WoTF can I delete that post or what can I do about that?
Posts: 52 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BenM
Member # 8329

- posted      Profile for BenM   Email BenM         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I seem to recall an old forum topic here on this matter in which they mentioned printings of 50,000 copies and up per edition, all of which they sold. (in fact, I went and found it - read extrinsic's post here).

Also consider that as WotF is all in-house there are quite likely much lower overheads which easily help it offset the cost of the workshop.

Posts: 920 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

bobbyshane, I apologize for taking so long to respond to your question. I've been away from my computer.

I can change the title of the topic in question, or you can change the title of the story when you submit it to WotF.

Then, as long as you don't say anything about WotF in the topic, you should be safe.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.