Hatrack River
Home   |   About Orson Scott Card   |   News & Reviews   |   OSC Library   |   Forums   |   Contact   |   Links
Research Area   |   Writing Lessons   |   Writers Workshops   |   OSC at SVU   |   Calendar   |   Store
E-mail this page
Hatrack River Writers Workshop Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Markets for Our Writing » Every Day Fiction (quite impressed with them)

Author Topic: Every Day Fiction (quite impressed with them)
History
Member # 9213

- posted      Profile for History   Email History         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just received a rejection for a literary flash piece with editorial comments on the story (with which I agree) and a lot of praise for the quality of writing (which was nice) from not one but from four editors. Together, their critiques are nearly as long as the story I submitted!

Is this sort of thing common with them?
It was as unexpected as it was appreciated.

Respectfully,
Dr. Bob

Posts: 1350 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that is the one that I received one comment from each editor. All were short and none were as nice as the one you got.
Posts: 4674 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
History
Member # 9213

- posted      Profile for History   Email History         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the end, LD, we're both rejectees. >smile<

Respectfully,
Dr. Bob

Posts: 1350 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
axeminister
Member # 8991

- posted      Profile for axeminister   Email axeminister         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a straight reject from them. - Two personal feedbacks.
Next sub made it to 2nd round - Four personal feedbacks.

Seems they have two at each level and they make comments as they read.

They are a great place to send to if you don't mind not really getting paid.
My latest said they are really swamped in the slush room...

Axe

Posts: 1448 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

- posted      Profile for JenniferHicks   Email JenniferHicks         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Every time I've submitted there, I've received feedback from at least two readers. The best one was when the slush readers essentially said, "This is good but I don't think our readers will get it." And the acquiring editor came back with, "Our readers aren't stupid. We're going to publish it." It was like eavesdropping on someone's conversation. [Smile]
Posts: 966 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
True Dr. Bob but you at least got a bit of a consolation prize.

But if they are still open I think I will send them another story. If I can get myself to remember... sending in stories is on my list of things to catch up on since Nov.

Posts: 4674 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.